Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question how old do you have to be to get a job as a firefighter?

I've pondered this for quite sometime and I was wondering if someone could give me some answers.

ages can range from dept. to dept. some will hire 18 year olds, some you have to be 21. just check with the dept. you want to work for.

someone told me that you can be a firefighter as early as the age of 14, not a junior firefighter, but a real one. I was wondering if thats true

Forum Member

Default Junior at 14

No you cannot be, the federal regulation is 18 thats why the gov't will not recognize that junior that was killed responding to a fire call on his bike in Delaware. The gov't said that he was considered an apprentice but not a full fledge firefighter. I like many others was once a junior and i absolutely consider Juniors as firefighters they are just not interior qualified.

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

like tulsa said is about right. it just depends in on the dept, but its going to be around 18-21

thank you

I understand that they are refusing to acknowledge him as a firefighter.... but if he was riding his bike to the station in response to a firecall then what was he planning on doing when he got there?..... what was he allowedd to do as a 14 year old if you cant be a firefighter until your 18?

Forum Member

Some departments wont even allow juniors to go on the truck period. Under the Junior Emergency Services Manual for PA individuals under the age of 18 can respond on calls,however, they can only do exterior work. For instance he/she can help flake hose but cannot operate hydraulic equipment, a pressurized hose line, assend a ladder, or enter a hazardous environment. From what I understand they can perform salvage and overhaul only after the building is deemed safe by a commanding officer, and the jr must be under a supervising officer at all times. A lot of times jr's help set up stagging areas. Those are the state guidelines in PA, I do not know how much they fluxuates with each state. Jr. periods are important b/c it is a good way of a.)training guys without the pressure of being tossed rt into a fire b.)allows younger guys to become more comfortable with fire ground operations c.)its gives them a good couple months to get training that they may not have time for if they are older and in the workforce. Hope this answered your questions.

Is there any 'jobs'(for lack of a better word) that are in between firefighter and junior FF in a volunteer fire dept. that allows you to actually fight fires while not being over 18? Is there a special type or amount of training that you can do to get to that stage?

Forum Member

Default training

I have never heard of anything that permits you to do fight a fire if you are not 18 or older. When I started off as a jr. and same with a bunch of guys in my firehouse we all did are research and the answer is most definetely no. When I started off at 15 we were allowed into "live" training burns, however, by 16 the state banned it. Unfortunately it sux but the jrs. just have to put their time in.

Thread Information