Forum Member

Unhappy scba specticle kits

scba specticle kits
    Anyone out there using a specticle kit from altek (www.altekspecs.com)
    This kit has an elastic strap so the lens can be worn outside the face piece or clip into a frame in the face piece. Any comments on this make is appreciated. forward to: rahinchee@cs.com

THANKS!

Lt. Bob Hinchee
    Weirton Fire Department
    Weirton, WV 26062

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: scba specticle kits

Originally posted by roadmd
    scba specticle kits
    Anyone out there using a specticle kit from altek (www.altekspecs.com)
    This kit has an elastic strap so the lens can be worn outside the face piece or clip into a frame in the face piece. Any comments on this make is appreciated. THANKS!
    I haven't used these, but IMHO, it seems like just another piece of gear to mess with. I typically just stick my glasses into a hard case I keep in my bunker gear. While wearing SCBA, I have not found that glasses would necessarily help, especially under smoky conditions. After the mask comes off, the glasses go back on...
    I used a similar set of these in a NBC mask in the Army, and they tended to be a pain in the neck, becoming dislodged at just the wrong time, fogging, distorting my vision,etc. I stopped using them.

However, I suppose the true value is determined by how badly you need glasses to see to begin with. But in THAT case, do you think it would be wise reconsider participating interior ops, or roof ops? Just a thought.
    Stay safe,

Thread Information