Default Chain Saw Blade Recommendations

We have been going through some high dollar chains lately. I've been given the assignment to research and recommend replacements. Any feedback would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.cuttersedge.com/products/bullet.html

What are you doing to burn through the "high dollar chains"?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Well.....................................

We have 12 Chain Saws. 2 are Vent Saws, set up at the Factory with depth gauges, Heavy chain, etc. 2 More are set up by us for vent work with Husquvarna motors, 21 inch sprocket nose bars, and carbide tip chain. Carbide tip chain is EXPENSIVE stuff, $90 each for the 21" bar length. Our other saws are 18 to 21 inch bars, standard timber industry grade chain, powered by Husky, Stihl, and 1 Homelite. Over the years, we've tried Poulan, Echo, McCullough, and others, but Husky and Stihl seem to hold up best for our work enviornment. Oregon makes some of the best chain and replacement bars available today, and they're competitively priced. I'd recommend always using sprocket nose bars to cut down on wear to both bar and chain. Always use BAR OIL! never substitute motor oil or anything else. Got a WalMart, Lowes, or Home Depot around? Ask the Manager if they can get you a discount on your chain and parts. You might be able to trim the cost a bit.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Question Cutter's Edge Saw

Can someone let me know about the Cutter's Edge Saw? My Asst. Chief used it to vent a roof and fell in love with it. The cost is my biggest problem with it ($1800). Is there anything better or as good and less expensive. We are a small rural company (explains why the AC Chief was on the roof). Thanks for your help.

Matt

MembersZone Subscriber

Stihl has recently come out with a fire service vent saw. I don't know much about it, but we're going to be looking into it because we have a Stihl service center in town.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

What is the chance of the Cutters Edge "Bullet Chain" fitting other saws?

It is an inovative chain design, perhaps an adaption to other saws could solve your problem.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Hey!!........

I think the Lt. is on to something......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Just what makes the Cutters Edge saw any different than a Stihl or Husqvarna? Is just the depth gauge that looks like it attaches to the bar?? I've never seen a Cutters Edge IRL. I know for $800 I can buy a brand new Stihl MS440 w/ a 30" bar here in my town (and that's the highway robbery price as well ). If you are interested in Husqvarna, they can be bought online/mail order thru various saw shops as well as thru Baily's Logging Supply. I heard a Stihl repair tech recommend their Rapid-micro chain vs. carbide... less expensive and easier to maintain.

edited to add link to Stihl rescue saw... http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS460Rescue.html

Looks like just a few tweeks of a standard MS460.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by RxFire; 07-25-2004 at 02:37 AM.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chainsaw bars

Kgl, it sounds like you are or were using carbide chain, very expensive and not worth it. We used to buy carbide until I talked them into using 404 pitch chain which is a bigger type chain, the standard is 3/8 even on carbide I believe. The 404 is a stout thicker chain, the top plate is larger than the 3/8 and the distance between the drive links are longer. If you buy it by the roll (100ft) you will save money, prices vary. The good thing about this if you cut a bunch of nails and metal and the chain is beyond grinding, toss it. Then your out 15 or 16 bucks,(if you buy it by the roll). The carbide gets damaged almost as easy but the cost to replace is 5 times that of the 404. We have 036 set up with 404, we have two cutters edge saws which are excellent, the bullet chain is what makes them. All it is, is a Jonsered saw with a after market filter, special drive sproket, depth guage and bar plus the bullet chain all of which I think cutter edge own patent to, and the only place to get this is threw cutters edge if im not mistaken, please inform me if im wrong anyone. These chains(bullet) also get messed up, but they definately withstand more abuse then anything I have ever seen or used. I suggest going out and getting a drive sprocket, bar, and chain all 404 and try it out, sure its not going to stay as sharp as a carbide but you will be surprised. If you can get it in full comp that is the ticket, if not get it in semi-skip.
    Besides for mentioned Bailey's, Madsens shop & Supply are both great places to buy bulk saw equipment, and saws.

Burn

"A Dull Saw, Is A Dangerous Saw"

"Earth First, We'll Log the rest of the Planets Later"
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

Forum Member

Default Chain Speed is the ticket!

About 15 years ago, my volly company purchased a Stihl 038 Magnum. Out of the box, it came with a 16" bar I think? Many thought it too cumbersome for roof work, so we dropped the bar length to 12". About 3 years into it, we decided that we were tired of replacing chains, so we decided to try a carbide chain. It cut great, but we kept throwing teeth. At $75 a pop, it got expensive, so I called engineers at several manufacturers. They were all in agreement (with some minor slanting towards their particular products) that the basic problem was that of chain speed. The Stihl 038 Magnum, and all equivalent saws, do not have the horsepower capabilities to be able to turn the chain fast enough to grasp the effectiveness of a carbide chain- in other words, the chain was going too slow, and the teeth were "bouncing" off of nails, shingles, etc etc, causing the teeth to shear from the chain.

The solution? More horsepower! More speed! (Hooooowahhhhh!) But thats fine and dandy, what do we do with our saw that is still in decent condition? We did a cost analysis, and determined to stay with the carbide chains. HOWEVER, when Cutters Edge became popular here on the east coast, I contacted them regarding our problem, and they agreed. Of course they were slap happy to sell me one of their saws, but I explained that we couldnt at that time. They did however, sell me a bullet chain. It works beautifully, although it doesnt cut as fast as some saws, we dont throw teeth, either.

2 years ago, we purchased 4 saws- 2 Cutters Edge Chainsaws, and 2 Partner K750A Circular Saws. I was on the purchasing committee, and my review of products consisted of interviewing members of Philadelphia Fire Dept truck companies and Rescue Company 1. Almost everyone I talked to loved the Cutters Edge chainsaw, but what they REALLY preferred for roof ventilation of standard wood/shingle roofs was the K750A with a WARTHOG Blade. I contacted Warthog, and they sent me a loaner. Brand new, still in the box. When I called them and said "Hey you sent me a new one, I want a loaner to try out" Their reply was "Use it. You're not going to send it back."

They were right!

On our first out engine, we run a Cutters Edge, and one of the Circ Saws, set up for wood. We run the other Cutters Edge and Circ (metal) on the Squad. NO PROBLEMS with the bullet chains on the Cutters Edge saws, and they cut like a hot knife through butter! Oh yeah, and the Stihl is in reserve back-up!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thumbs up Stihl MS460 Rescue saw

Our department recently purchased two Stihl MS 460 Magnum Rescue saws, and they work excellent.Total cost for both $1799.91. These saws are the same durable power head as the "old" 46 series but with a few modifications. They increased the space between the handle and the powerhead to allow for easy use with a gloved hand. They added a larger handle on the pull cord for same reason. We used the saws during training evolutions and they worked great. The bar is a standard 20" sprocket nose bar with 3/8" dual raker carbide tip chain.A new chain sould this one be damaged can be purchased through our local dealer. We used the saw for 15 vent operations cutting asphalt shingles and plywood, and even some nails and metal truss plates, with no visiable dammage.The lack of a depth gauge can be overcome by training. Cost was a factor as we are a small department and the ability to get two saws for the price of one was a no brainer

stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, here's another idea.

I do a lot of woodworking and use a product called Kutter-Kleener. It is a pitch remover and lubricant for cutting blades, ie, router bits, saw blades, planer knives, etc... Pitch is the saw dust, resin and sap build-up you may notice on the blades. It dulls the edge and creates binding and overheating.

I have no doubt you could soak a used chain in it and have a brilliant, clean blade. But what if you added it to the chain oiler???? Hmmmmmm.

Forum Member

I believe we use the Carbi-Chain on our Stihl Chainsaws. Never had any problems with our Stihls. In fact, one was left on a roof accidentally (someone had to jump from roof and left saw on it) and it got pretty melted. After getting a new casing for it, it still runs like a champ........ I can't remember the model number, but for some reason 029 or 290 sticks in my head.........

Forum Member

Default upgrade your present saw

sgvfccapt .....
    If your department is already using a Stihl saw you can just purchase the carbide chain, if the gauge of your chain is the same.If the gauge is different you just need to replace the drive sprocket and bar, not that expensive. I would not use a saw with a small powerhead.... say less than a 036, the saw will tend to load up slowing the cut. The chain has a dual raker design and will throw chips and debris out of the cut, keeping the chain speed up, as well as keeping the impact even across the face of the carbide tooth extending life.

hope this helps, stay safe.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Yup...

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I believe we use the Carbi-Chain on our Stihl Chainsaws. Never had any problems with our Stihls. In fact, one was left on a roof accidentally (someone had to jump from roof and left saw on it) and it got pretty melted. After getting a new casing for it, it still runs like a champ........ I can't remember the model number, but for some reason 029 or 290 sticks in my head.........
    029, We've got 2 of them.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information