Thread: safety

MembersZone Subscriber

Default safety

?
    Last edited by boomwak; 07-28-2004 at 01:40 AM.

Forum Member

Default I don't think it's wise...

to air your dirty laundry in public. While I believe there may be some truth to what you say, it's best not to broadcast it to the public and keep it "in house".

What is your Local doing in regards to your complaints? I simply find it hard to believe that your local president allows such things to go on. While he may have little/no say in training matters, he sure can force management to provide required PPE to include safety boots, glasses, hearing protection, etc. That's a no-brainer. Easy to do. Simple to win that arguement.

In this day and time I understand your frustration. I also am a Fed FF and often wonder how management gets away with what they do. Bottom line is money, next is how organized and efficient your local is....

I might suggest going to this link, which also deals with Fed fire issues...http://www.dodfire.com/forum/default.asp

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally I'd rather air my laundry than see someone hurt or killed because we kept it in house. As to the "simple fix" of going to the union, there are more than 10 grievences open right now regarding these simple every day requirements, several of these have been flat out ignored by management for the better part of a year. Our union has no real bargaining power and they know it.

Forum Member

Default Federal Firefighters

flat out ignored by management for the better part of a year. Our union has no real bargaining power and they know it.
    Brothers,

You guys need a better CBA. Have you contacted Jimmy Johnson (16th Dist. FF) or your local state rep for assistance? Are you IAFF or AFGE affiliated?
    These people would be able to help you with your bargaining and allow you to pursue your concerns with management. When you work on your next CBA you should have your issues addressed within your contract so that your management has no choice but to follow the set guidelines.
    What I suggest is to have your state rep. help you with your contract so that your local president doesn't have to take on the job of going head to head with your fire chief. Stay safe and stick with your guns. There are ways to handle these matters and hopefully with some guidance your local will be able to deal with them no matter how much "pull" they have. Federal firefighters need to stick together and watch each other's backs.

Brothers and Sisters, I wrote the 10 grievances mentioned by Boomwak. I am here to tell you that we all strive to work in a safer and more efficient department. Ours is no different. Some times we loose focus on safety, and that is all that happen here. Our Chiefs are striving to get back on track and together we will get there. There is a time and place to air out the laundry; this is neither the time nor the place. I along with a number of fellow fire fighters and chiefs are working very hard to correct these safety issues, and though our views may be heated, they are not in malice.

I truly hope that shortly we will have these 10 issues resolved along with some others since found. After all, is there one person in any department who wishes to see their fellow fire fighter in an unsafe situation? I hope not! We may not agree on how best to resolve an issue; but as long as the issues are resolved, I will go home happy.

Safety From the top down and from the bottom up Safety First, Second and always.

Lightbulb AFGE Federal Firefighters

Union Brothers,

If you are a AFGE Federal Firefighters Local.
    Call the AFGE Office in D.C. for a Union Business Rep.
    AFGE FF can help you with your CBA!

AFGE Federal Firefighters

http://www.afgefirefighters.org/

Thread Information