Default Advice on becoming wildland firefighter

I've searched this forum and the employment forum but have yet to find advice on becoming a wildland firefighter. So, sorry if this has come up a million times before.

I would like to get the ball rolling now so that if at all possible I could start next summer. I am living in Las Vegas, NV, and am working through my EMT courses. What do you guys suggest? I appreciate your time Thanks

Forum Member

Default Becoming a wildland firefighter

Starting on Jan 1, 2005, be looking at the federal agencies -US Forest Service & Bureau of Land Management are the big names, but also the National Park Service, and US Fish & Wildlife Service - websites.

I think all of the agencies have gone thru a computer application online, however if you have a specific place you want to work, be calling now to get info on how and when to apply. Sometimes the agencies can still hire direct if you meet the criteria for student hire programs. Seeing as how you are in the land of perpetual good weather, be getting in shape now and the job will be easier... especially the WCT (Work Capacity Test) which is a requirement of all federal agencies and probably most states as well. This test is a 3 mile walk wearing a 45 pound vest/pack that must be completed in 45 minutes or less, no running allowed.

Overall, check out Wildland Fire. Lots of info there specific to wildland firefighting.

Good luck
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Default How I Did It

I went to the web site that the United States Department of Agriculture primarly uses in the hiring process. The web site is avuedigitalservices.com. Go to this web site and create a new account with the web site. Everything on the web site is for free. You will need to create a resume on the web site. That is how I got hired on. Advice - get your wildland firefighting classes out of the way and you should be a lock for a job. You have to take a two week class of rookie school called the S-130. I'm sure that once you do that, get your EMT classes out of the way, you won't have too much trouble finding a possition next year. It may be kind of late this year, but you know it never hurts to try.
    I am from Kentucky and I got hired on out here in Las Vegas for the Humboldt - Toiyabe National Forest. I know that the Las Vegas area uses this web site ALOT when it comes to hiring newbies. Good Luck to ya!

Forum Member

Default If your interest is career wildland....

Take the time to apply for the Wildland Firefighter Apprentice Program. But hurry, the application period closes in the not so distant future (9/15)

For complete info, check out this link http://www.wfap.net/

and then click thru on recruitment.
    Last edited by RxFire; 08-05-2004 at 04:08 AM.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Thread Information