MembersZone Subscriber

Default water level guage

I have seen the large size water level guage lights but have not seen any place where they are for sale. Where do you find them or make them work?

Forum Member

I believe that they are standard warning lights (with different colored lenses to designate the level of H2O in the tank) that are wired into the water level gauge lights.

It's a nice concept, and I think it should be an industry standard, seeing that there are times where the engineer/mpo/chauffeur has to do other tasks away from the pump panel.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Correct you are Capt. That's exactly how it works.

sklump -
    What you need to look for in a gauge is some type of remote light driver (or similar wording) do not confuse this with a remote or auxiliary display (which is a second gauge in an alternate location)

FRC "Tank Vision" w/ all the "goodies"
    http://www.fireresearch.com/wl2000.htm
    Optional WL2900 Remote Light Driver

Class1 Intelli-Tank Level System
    http://www.class1.com/products4.asp?productid=106
    Integrated Remote light tank-level driver module
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't forget MC Products

They have tank level gauges with remotes light drivers too.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think they might be called "Sending Units". We have them and they are an excellent idea. Gives the inside guys a heads up on their tank water if your department has the 1st in Engine Co. go in on tank water. They are simple whelen model lights (Atleast ours are). Something we did was to have them tied into the parking brake so they are only on when the parking brake is set. This way we minimize distraction of other drivers and unneccesary bulb usage when not needed. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

thank you now I need ideas on how to mount them on an eliptical tank

Forum Member

One local department has them mounted high on both side of the cab, behind the doors. They are large & bright, so you can see them through the smoke.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

On the mounting issue, head to the local fabrication shop. I haven't seen a shop yet that can't throw something together for anything. Odds are they'll weld an angle bracket on the tank to give a vertical surface for the lights to be mounted to. I've seen that done to attached emergency lighting on the backs of elliptical tanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a thought to send out there for those of you with light towers or telescoping lights. Has anyone thought of attaching a series of tank level lights to these stands. They are elevated and within sight of the driver no matter where he is standing around the fire truck. Especially helpful when the driver has to assist in pulling lines or gets tied up securing the water supply. I am not sure where to get the lights that would be able to wrap around a pole, but i once worked on a bridge for a port authority and they had them mounted on a pole to warn of different hazards (fire, electricity, flooding) in the anchorage of the bridge.

I have seen the lights on the sides of apparatus and i think they are a great idea, but when your standing behind or in front of your vehicle, they are invisible.

Just a thought.

Forum Member

thats great ......but what are you going to do during the day light ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

another thing you might consider...having lights on the outside of the truck and also in the cab, just a consideration, seeing as you are talking about a tanker here. Another idea...take the and splice the wires from your existing level guage, put an amp (optional) on the wire and then have a series of horizontally placed lights on the tanker.

Thread Information