Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default A Pennsylvania fireman goes to Iraq

This isn't my first time in the desert, but unless you last address was hell, you don't know heat. Or thirst for that matter. An infrared image of this place would be bright white all the time. I'm here for the usual reasons. The professional challenge of helping to standup the largest contract fire department ever built, and doing it in a combat zone. The money, I'd be lying if i said otherwise. And a big patriotic streak. So i'm here, about an hour north of Baghdad. The closest city for you who are going to drop in, is Balad. When they finish this place it'll be the size of a medium size American city (i'm from just northwest of Philly). Anyway, i'll be happy to share my experiences as i go. feel free to email me or write to the thread. stay safe.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Stay Safe.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Firemankip, we have another thread going regarding what you are doing; aptly titled "FFing in Iraq". There seem to be quite a few on the board who are thinking about going. Anymore info or personal insights you can add would be helpful. What stage of your career were you in before you left for Iraq? And please, stay very safe!!

what stage of my career was i in? well i guess you'd have to roll back to 9/11 when everyones life changed. out of respect for the FDNY guy i helped bury my part in 9/11 was to volunteer to firefight in saudi arabia. i feel the same kind of patiotic undertones about iraq. i have a lot of time on department and have some things to offer. and its one of those things that if i didn't do it, i'd always wonder about the opportunity. you stay safe too bro

Hey best wishes and please keep us informed as to what the real deal is going on over there. Many of us are not true believers in the accuracy of things happening in Iraq so maybe a fresh perspective would be great.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Stay safe and thanks for being there for us. It's been rainy aand cold in the northeast.(I'm from the Buffalo,NY area.) This summer rots.

thanks for writing in "minister of cynicism" and mary.

no you're absolutely right, sometimes we haven't gotten the complete whole and accurate picture on iraq. whish is why most guys when they get here buy currency. it is a country of immense potential that can feed itself, has huge amounts of arable land, an educated workforce, good access to markets, and did i mention slightly less oil than saudi? most of the iraqi people what to live thheir lives. even in fallujah, which even saddam couldn't control, moderate iraqis are asking the radicals who tend to be from places like syria and jordan to call it a day. not for us, but for them. this place actuall has a chance to be a stable little country.

How are things up north? When I got home I could see why my wife was always so worried. Looked a lot worse on TV than it did in real life? Petty much haven't paid attention to Iraqi news since I got home because of that.
    IED attacks up, holding steady or dropping? How about mortars and VBIED's?
    At least up north it's cooler than around Nasiriya. Wearing a sweater around the station in May and everyone was looking at me funny. Finally getting used to the cooler weather.
    Drop a line now and again to let us know what's really going on.
    Stay safe and DON'T TRUST ANYONE!
    Walt.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Default Good luck brother

Good luck man and stay safe. I myself will be leaving for basic training on Sept. 15, 2004 and will be trained in VERY LARGE CANNONS!!!! Thats right I will be blowing stuff up. Maybe our paths will cross out there on the battle feild or maybe not, who knows. But anyway, watch your head 24/7 and stay low.

Dave
    I don't want to hear excuses. I want to see results.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hey man

firemankip thanks for posting. I have turned in resume to Wac and KBR still waiting. I have all the DOD and Hazy may junk. 24 years fire service in a contract fire department for US military base. Trying to figure out how to get there. Who ya with . Contractor?
    things ya could have thought of before ya went?
    contact with family how often?
    Pay OK?
    Thanks man if ya can't answer be safe bringem home alive
    "let no mans ghost ever say if only training had done its job"

Thread Information