Thread: Security Bars

Default Security Bars

What technique are people using to remove security bars on on windows? Any favorite tools?

MembersZone Subscriber

Truckmaggot,

Depending on how thick; soild or hollow; or what it is mounted into the truckies around me use a variety of tools.

Maul- Pretty standard and very destructive. Great for bashing them out of a masonry mount.

FE rotary Saw- Usually works easiest on ground level bars.

Lobster Rebar cutter-It is on the OVMs side of the rig and he can take it with him up fire escapes, in the bucket or whatever. I hear it has worked well in Queens and Brooklyn with the large amount of PDs with bars they have over there.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't remembur who made it but I saw a chain tool used with the halligan for removing bars.

Myself, I've used the Saw and rabbit tool both with some success

Forum Member

The company is Iowa American. They have two types. One is a small piece of chain with a hook,and the other is a piece of cable with a hook that goes up and over the fork with spacers that you use to take up slack. I've seen them over the years at fire related trade shows, but I don't know of anyone who used either one.

MembersZone Subscriber

A side note the company Iowa America is out of business

Forum Member

Depends on what type of bars, and what they are mounted in. For standard bars set in the brick or mortar, use the mall. Very quick,always starts,doesnt need batteries ,self explainatory and often you only need to remove 1 side. After 1st side is removed,it will usually hinge open when pulled. If they are set in wood, the Halligan is usually enough to pry them off. Other than these, we also carry Bolt cutters, a torch, a saw, a rebar cutter, a rabbit tool, a sawzall and a 4ft Halligan. Any of these might also work.

Thread Information