Tragic death for hero firefighter
July 27, 2004
A FIREFIGHTER who died trying in vain to rescue a toddler from a blazing house was a hero, his boss said today.
New South Wales Fire Brigades was in shock this morning following the death of the 41-year-old Budgewoi father of three, who collapsed after several attempts to rescue a two-year-old boy from a second storey room.
The fire yesterday afternoon, which authorities believe was accidental, destroyed the home in Denman Street, Doyalson on the NSW central coast.
The toddler's 33-year-old mother was in the house when the fire started, and along with the firefighter and neighbours, tried to rescue her son.
The firefighter's name has not been released as authorities were still
contacting some interstate relatives.
Fire Brigades commissioner Greg Mullins said the firefighter had made
several unsuccessful attempts to find the boy and was fighting the fire from the roof of the house when he complained of feeling unwell.
He was helped to the ground by his colleagues where he collapsed.
Paramedics worked on him and he regained consciousness but died a short time later in Wyong Hospital.
Mr Mullins described him as a "very keen and very dedicated member of the brigade, very well liked".
"His friends in the brigade are a bit mystified, they said he was the
fittest member of the crew, very fit and strong and healthy."
The man had only been a firefighter for 14 months and was wearing breathing apparatus when he tried to save the boy.
"I was with the firefighters until 1am, they're just devastated, it's a very close knit fraternity," Mr Mullins said.
" ... if a firefighter's killed overseas or interstate, we all feel it. To have one of our own, it's just really devastating to the crews.
"I think the word hero gets bandied around a lot these days but he was
someone who was putting his life on the line to save somebody else and paid the ultimate price. We're all in shock today."
The toddler's mother suffered smoke inhalation, minor burns and shock. She is receiving treatment at Wyong Hospital.
The blaze will be investigated by the coroner.
Mr Mullins said authorities were confident they had found the cause of the fire, which appeared to be accidental.
"We can say at this stage we're fairly satisfied there were no suspicious circumstances at all," he said.
"We believe we've found the cause of the fire... I'm not at liberty to say, but (it was) an accidental cause."
To all our NSW Brothers and Sisters, "Kia Kaha" from us in the NZFS.
At the going down of the sun, we will remember.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Thread: LODD NSW Australia
07-26-2004, 11:02 PM #1
LODD NSW AustraliaPsychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.
07-27-2004, 09:33 AM #2
- Join Date
- Jan 2003
- Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA
Condolences to our brothers family, and to our brothers and sisters in NSW, May our brother find peace.
07-27-2004, 10:54 AM #3
- Join Date
- Nov 2001
My deepest condolences to the NSW Fire Brigade and his family.
May he rest in peace
07-27-2004, 12:21 PM #4
May the Lord provide comfort for all those touched by this tragedy. May our dear brother rest in peace!
NJProudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones
*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
On the web at www.section2wildfire.com
07-27-2004, 01:23 PM #5
- Join Date
- Jul 1999
- Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
My deepest condolences to the friends and family of this brave brother who paid the ultimate price. May he rest in peace.
Last edited by FyredUp; 07-27-2004 at 01:25 PM.
07-27-2004, 04:52 PM #6
The thoughts and prayers of us all at Poplar, LFB are with the NSWFB and the family of the Firefighter who so bravely gave his life.Steve Dude
London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"
'Irony'... It's a British thing.
07-28-2004, 07:05 AM #7
Budgewoi firefighterís name released
27 July 2004
The NSW Fire Brigades (NSWFB) Commissioner Greg Mullins has publicly released the name of the firefighter killed in tragic circumstances at a house fire at Doyalson on Monday 26 July 2004.
PHILLIP VILES, 41, of Budgewoi, joined the NSW Fire Brigades as a retained firefighter 14 months ago. He has served diligently at Budgewoi Fire Station where he was a well-respected member of a close-knit firefighting team.
Phillip was also a self-employed upholsterer and sadly leaves behind a wife and three children.
Funeral details will be released later this week.
The fire, that caused his death and also the death of a young child Phillip attempted to rescue, is still under investigation by the NSWFB and NSW Police. A report is being prepared for the Coroner.
07-28-2004, 07:09 AM #8
Rest in Peace, Brother."The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY
07-28-2004, 08:03 AM #9
With deepest sympathy and respect.United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.
07-28-2004, 10:10 AM #10
- Join Date
- May 2002
- Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
My condolences to the NSW Fire Brigade, the firefighters at Budgewoi Fire Station and the family of Firefighter Viles during this difficult and sad time.
Sleep with angels, PhillipSeptember 11th - Never Forget
I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.
IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
RAY WAS HERE FIRST
07-28-2004, 10:28 AM #11
Rest in Peace BrotherAKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo
IAFF Local 3900
IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm
ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats
F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)