MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBA Compressor Systems

We are shopping for a in-station air compressor to fill 4500 psi SCBA cylinders.

Can anyone tell us what brands/models are out there? What features should be demand or avoid and what should be look for in a dealer?

So far I've found CompAir/Mako and Bauer

MembersZone Subscriber

We use Bauer systems in our stations and they work great. I have used many differnt brands and they all work about the same. Just depends on how many bottles you want to fill at a time and other accessories you are looking for. This is very similar to one of our systems http://www.bauercomp.com/norfolk/ima...UNII_42-E3.jpg

I wish ours would fill more that 3 bottles at a time though. It would be nice to come back after that structure fire and not have to load the system 10-15 times, but those types of options cost more....
    Stay alert and be safe.

Forum Member

We replaced a Bauer unit with a Compair/Mako a few years ago. If I can find the specs, I'll email them. 2 big reasons for the change were the company that serviced the Bauer units double billed us, overbilled us, and generally sucked. 2nd reason was in the bids, the Mako was $7000 less.

I can say the Bauer unit itself was fine, we just outgrew it. The Mako has been outstanding for us. Can't complain about either machine, they both worked well.

We added a 5 year maint/svc plan including air tests into our bids.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We just placed our new Scott compressor and revolv-air fill station with 8 bottle cascade in service yesterday. Seems like a high quality unit and very simple to operate. Fills two bottles at a time and as they fill you can remove the last two filled and hook up the next two to be filled, keeps things moving and shortens the job.

Forum Member

Our experience has been just 180 of Bones.We had a "Shakeapart"(Mako)that was noisy,inefficient,and just generally a disaster maintainence wise.We got a new Bauer 13CFM 6000# unit and I couldn't be happier.Quiet,fast,and OUTSTANDING product support.Now I will say that the Mako we had was an older version and they may have changed designs since then.But based on the issues we had with ours I wouldn't ever buy another.Support should weigh heavily on whatever unit you consider.T.C.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Rescue101
    Our experience has been just 180 of Bones.We had a "Shakeapart"(Mako)that was noisy,inefficient,and just generally a disaster maintainence wise.We got a new Bauer 13CFM 6000# unit and I couldn't be happier.Quiet,fast,and OUTSTANDING product support.Now I will say that the Mako we had was an older version and they may have changed designs since then.But based on the issues we had with ours I wouldn't ever buy another.Support should weigh heavily on whatever unit you consider.T.C.
    If it was older than 1990, Mako used bauer blocks. They were pretty much the same compressor back then. Bauer and Mako are both good, I would base my choice on the service provided by the sales rep. My dealer lives 10 miles away (Mako) so it was pretty easy who to go with.

Forum Member

Hey,
    We bought a new compressor and fill station last winter with FEMA $$$. We did a lot of research on, and got a lot of opinions from fire departments all over the US. We bought a HYPRES system. They are a newer company, but are starting to make quite a name for themselves. Hypres was considerably cheaper than the Bauer and Mako systems, which suited us at the time. I don't believe that we got any less of a product though. I have worked with almost all of the systems, and I think they are all good and will get the job done. Check out HYPRES, if you need contact info for them e-mail me and I will get it for you ASAP. Good luck with your purchase!
    STAY SAFE AND GOD BLESS

Thread Information