Forum Member

Default History of Fire service

Looking for information, on fire service tools and traditions, where invented and who. Have always been told that the haligan was invented by a officer but have heard FDNY and Chicago, do not know which one?I am usually asked a few times a year questions about the history of tools that I do not know the answers.

The Maltese Cross
    The badge of a firefighter is the Maltese Cross, which is a symbol of protection, and a badge of honor. It dates to the days of the Crusades, when Christian Knights fought the Saracens for possession of the Holy Land. During these battles a frightening weapon was used against the heavily armored warriors, fire. As the Crusaders advanced upon the walls of a city, they were struck by glass bombs containing Naphtha. When the liquid penetrated the knight’s armor, the Saracens hurled a flaming torch into their midst. Hundreds of the knights were burned alive and many others risked their lives to save their comrades in arms. Fellow crusaders recognized the efforts of those knights who rescued others from the fire by awarding each hero a special cross as a badge of honor. This cross had eight points to its construction and had as its origin the Beatitudes. Since many of these heroes were members of the Knights of St. John, whose headquarters where on the island of Malta, the cross these men wore became to be called the Maltese Cross. If you will look in the Bible at Matthew 5: 1-12 you will find the meaning of the Maltese Cross. As in days of old, the Maltese Cross is a symbol of protection. It means that the firefighter who wears the cross is willing to lay down his or her life for you, just as the Crusaders sacrificed their lives for their fellow man so many centuries ago. The Maltese Cross is a firefighter’s badge of honor, signifying that he or she works in courage - a ladder rung away from death.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default History of the Fire Service

Just search the Web.

I've learned you can find just about anything on it.
    When I got our first computer, and learned a few things, I search for Fire Department Clipart, to make posters, etc. for the firehouse. I now have six CD's of downloaded FD clipart that I found on the web.
    I also looked up both ships I was on in the Service. They are both decommissioned now, but you would be amazed of what I found.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Thread Information