MembersZone Subscriber

Default Part-Time/Paid On-Call

I live in Livonia and am looking to start a fire career. Unfortunately I have not found any departments near me that hire paid on-call/part-time. They all seem to be far away and you must live there. Anybody know of anywhere I should check? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Part-Time/Paid On-Call

Originally posted by BKS2021
    Anybody know of anywhere I should check?
    Prince Georges County Maryland! Just kidding, but if I was a young single guy, I would head out there for their live in programs in a heartbeat. Lots of fire there.

Anyways, of the few departments in Monroe County that have POC or PT members, I believe they all have residency requirements due to needing manpower quickly for major incidents.

Good luck in your search.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Livonia, eh? Where have you checked so far?

Have you tried Novi? They supplement their full time with POC. I think you need to live within a mile of the city limits.

Check at Northville City. They are POC. I think there is a waiting list.
    Northville Township’s website says they have POC in addition to their full time. I think that’s changed though.

Walled Lake is a combination as well. I tried to join their explorers but couldn’t as I don’t live in the school district. I suspect if they’re that strict for explorers, it is probably the same for the FF.

What about South Lyon, Lyon Twp. or the others to the west?
    Last edited by ffexpCP; 08-09-2004 at 10:32 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want to gain the experience then you need to be willing to move to the area of the paid on call dept. There are plenty of departments out there in both Wayne and Washtenaw County that are looking for good "committed" people.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

I have checked all around me and then some. It seems that Livonia is close to everywhere and yet close to nowhere. Moving is not even an option and when we do move, we plan to stay in Livonia. I am trying to gain experience and training, without having to pay through the nose and not get hired. Seems very frustrating so far.

Cool Local Paid On Call

Hey I know it is hard to start out, I was born and raised in Farmington Hills. I don't know what part of livonia you are located in but there are P.O.C. departments all around down that way. Farmington Hills has four stations that are P.O.C. after 5:00PM. Novi I believe still uses P.O.C. firefighters. Check with the Taylor Fire Department they used to utilize firefighters that were part-time, and those guys worked like 24 hours a week or month (don't remember which). You might also want to check with Schoolcraft College and talk to the people in the fire education department, they might be able to recommend somthing else. As always if I can help let me know firefighterbaz@firehousemail.com...

Be Safe Out there Everyone !!!

Forum Member

If you move, and get on a POC dept, they'll pay for your FFI and II. If you go to Schoolcraft on your own, it will be expensive, but you'll get your certs faster. It'll also help you land a POC position faster.

Highland Park has an Auxiliary FF program. You'll get about 7 bucks an hour to work part time, and you'll see more fire than any of the full timers in the suburbs, but it's no joke- They tend to chew up and spit out any lightweights who can't keep up.

Taylor no longer has their auxiliary program- they've gone all fulltime.

Forum Member

Novi is a complicated dept. they use F/T, POC, and Auxilary. You don't have to live in the city to work as an Aux. they work shifts 6a to 6p to suppliment the F/T guys. POC work 6p to 6a.

In Wayne county Riverview and Ecorse use part timers for shifts.

In Oakland county North Oakland Fire Authority (Holly twp and Rose twp)use part timers for shifts.

I know people on Riverview, Novi, and NOCFA. Let me know if I can help.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Thread Information