Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spartan Chasis

Question Spartan Chasis

Our department in the Florida Panhandle currently has 10 Spartan Cab pumpers on Southern Coach Chasis'. Our oldest was made in 1995 and we were told that it may have been built on a Spartan motor home chasis instead of a fire apparatus chasis. The representative who informed us of this is no longer with Spartan and we have been unable to get any further support from the company.

Now the quesion is... does anyone know of a large scale repair facility that may be able to help us beef up the suspension? The pumper currently handles like a 40,000 lb pogo-stick. We would like to keep it for a reserve pumper, but without any work to the suspension, it may be too dangerous to do so.
    IACOJ

I don't think your problem is with Spartan Chassis, but the actual builder of the apparatus. Spartan does indeed have 2 division, firetucks and motorhomes, but they are 2 different divisions and they just built the chassis (a very good one). Have you checked the front and rear weights, 50/50 would be typical on a cab over but anything less than 30% on the front axle is going to be hard to keep anything on the road and is less than required by NFPA 1901. We had a couple of 94 Darley pumpers on Spartan cabs, and the weight and balance was all screwed up. Our new H&W Emergency pumpers drive like a dream (all in the engineering).

Forum Member

DONT USE SPARTAN CHASIS, My grandfather had a big motor home built on a spartan chasis, Driving down the road, The front 2 feet of the frame rails just snapped off, cause=metal fatiuge, horrible construction. Spartan then released a recall on all models except for theirs, the recall was severe frame problems. They also tried to cover it up.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Originally posted by CaptainMikey
    DONT USE SPARTAN CHASIS, My grandfather had a big motor home built on a spartan chasis, Driving down the road, The front 2 feet of the frame rails just snapped off, cause=metal fatiuge, horrible construction. Spartan then released a recall on all models except for theirs, the recall was severe frame problems. They also tried to cover it up.
    im not going to cover up for spartan but, how would metal fatiuge be their fault?? they dont make the metal for the frame rails they just build things and put them together...the rails would be from whomever make the steel.... that would suck though was it one of those big arse motorhomes like those 35 footers? those are sweet
    Some of us are Leaders and some are Followers...get out of the way cause im taking the Knob!

www.westmead2.com

Forum Member

Its the fact that they KNEW about it and the way that they covered it up was 1. hire a bunch of laywers and had a gag order put in place. 2. they then put out a recall on all of the motor home chasis produced in the certain year right up to a few days before their chassis was prodcued, they then recalled everything after that date.

I will get a pic of the huge chunk of frame rail and post it.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

They were driving straight and level, they even had their reverse camera on to show that, and boom, the motorhome drops to the ground and flys off to the right, plowing into the ground and ripping the front end to heck.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

My only experience with Spartan is from a Big Easy we demo'd last year. It was just OK. And it had a 24" long bumper. It drove "OK", but wasn't too much more manueverable than our E-Ones on FL80 chassis. The E-One cyclone cab was much better (except for guage layout, that seemed to have been done by dyslexic chimps) but it was to big, also, and the HME-SFO just seemed to be what we were looking for.

Forum Member

I did a little researching, the chasis for motor home and fire apparatus are different, the fire ones much better built.

On the metal fatigue, it rolled out of the factory a few months before the accident, and had not been driven that much before.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Our department did end up going to E-One and the Cyclone 2. You are absolutely right on the gauge layout, but they did change it this year. We now have ten and haven't had any problems that you normally wouldn't find with a new pumper.

I did manage to track down a rep from Spartan last week in
    New Orleans and they did appear to be concerned. We'll wait to see how concerned though since we stopped buying their trucks. If anyone else has had Spartan problems, please advise. Our chassis on our 1995 model will actually flex as it hits bumps in the road. We did check the weight differences between front and back and there is less than a 4k difference. I'm told that is acceptable and tend to believe so.

krg1401:

Is the problem your suspension or Frame rails.. If you have a longer wheel base unit the Rails after time will tend to flex in the middle. The Feeling is very similar to a suspension problem. But It will toss you around something fierce.

If you can mount a video camera along the frame rail so you can see the length. (kinda like viewing a 2x4). And take the truck out for a run. I think you'll be surprised. The fix would be to double sleve the rails. Full length. Don't let the frame shop talk you into a partial. You want the rail to be from rear most spring hanger to the front most.

CAPN22:

I brought your suggestion to the Chief, he's not too excited about duct-taping his video camera to the pumper.

We are fairly sure it is the frame rail, but who should pay for the repair if it's a factory problem??? If you hold the check book, the factory. If you build chassis'.....

Well It really depends on your warranty. In your time range 95 to 99 most Custom apparatus only had a 5 year rail warranty.

Personally If you put some pressure on the apparatus builder, and the chassis builder. you might get a 3 way split on the costs. Maybe... And its going to be a long process.. To sleve this is going to be costly in the park of about 15 to 30 grand depending on what has to be done.

A straigth rail swap would be cheaper than sleveing it as they can slide one rail in while the other pull out. (lots of frame and jack stands). It would correct your problem for now but in most cases the problem will show up again in a few years.

I understand that the Chief wouldn't want to strap a his camera to the rails and I can't blame him, That's the "if you can" part.

Another option would be to take the unit to a frame shop. tell em whats going on. Some of the shops have a laser system that can be mounted to the rails and measure flex in the frame. This will at least give you some documentation to take to the manufactures.

But to be honest your probably on your own.. but you never know unless you ask.

Thread Information