MembersZone Subscriber

Question Airport Firefighter

Is it necessary to have airport FF certification prior to hiring? To my knowledge, none of the tech schools around me teach that class.

Lightbulb Airport Firefighter

Brother,
    Yes, For some Federal F&ES Department you do.
    Try the S.C. Fire Academy for airport Firefighter.

Not always necessary. Allot of places, the training will be offered after hiring. But for competitive reasons you may not get the job if there is someone that already has it. Most federal departments that require airport firefighter also have a structure side of the house also. The best way to find out though is to ask the department directly what exactly they are looking for and you may also be able to find out how competitive you are for the job before you apply for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips. I can see I'm going to need some inside help on this. I'm starting to wonder if some of my certifications or even my associate degree will be valid.

Forum Member

BIG Tip!! Don't bother much on any training/classes/etc that don't have "IFSAC" (International Fire Service Accreditation Congress) on them if you're serious about a Federal firefighter's job. DoD is huge on IFSAC and accepts them wholesale. In fact, it's a requirement. The only other accredited body is Pro-Board. I forget what their offical name is.......Duh!
    Your Associate degree was/never will be a waste but right now DoD just doesn't recognize anything but IFSAC. Most prior military applicants will have these things down pat so you will be beating a dead horse trying to get around them. Take all the training you can get, just make sure you're getting something for your "I Love Me" wall that will actually count for something (a J-O-B) and get you somewhere. And before I stir up that can of worms: most trainings do have value--just get it so it's validated, documented, approved, etc, etc. Got to www.usajobs.opm.gov and search for "GS-0081" series. Click on anything that interest you and read w-a-y down in the qaualifications to see what's required. I believe that if we didn't have IFSAC, their would be a requirement for a bachelor's degree just to get in the door......... The amount of time spent on an average accumilation of required certs is certainly an A/AS, at a minimum. Have Fun, Stay Safe..........

Thumbs up

HI
    If you are down south,There is a class over at LSU called aircraft firefighter,It is ifsac tested. Im a arff in new orleans,most major cities fire department run their arff programs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, I'm in Wisconsin and I contacted the state technical college and there's nowhere in the state that teaches it! They said they're working on the curriculum for it now and it should be out "soon," but who's to say it'll be IFSAC certified. I even went as far as contacting my local airport public safety to find out where they get their training and they've yet to return my call, guess they're too busy.

My target location is in NC or VA, but I'd like to secure a job first before I move down there. If I ever end up in the Louisiana area I'll look up LSU though! Thanks

Thread Information