Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Fishing Questions

I am looking for a good rod(baitcast) and reel, something that can handle 20lb line. Also is 20lb good for catfish and all the other big fresh water fish? In the past I have been using the crappy spin cast reels and dont like them that well, also have had a problem with my 10lb line breaking on a few big fish, So I am going up to 20, maybe 30-40. But can find a rod or reel that can handle that weight of line.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

abu garcia reels.... shakespear ugly stiks... ambassidor reels are pretty good.. use them here for striper fishing, reel in 15-20 lb stripers. catfish should be no problem.. ambassidor reels are made by abu garcia.

So I am going up to 20, maybe 30-40
    Why not just put a hook on the end of a chain? Half the fun of fishing is landing the big boys on light test. Say a 35# striper on a 5# fly rig...

It really depends on how much you want to spend.

Shakespeare makes some inexpensive medium/heavy spinning rod and reel combos that would work well for catfish. I've got one I use for surf fishing when I go to the gulf. Costs about $20 at Wal-Mart. The problem I've always had with using spinning reels when fishing for catfish is you can't push the button and put the reel down. You either trip the bail and end up with a lot of slack line out or you tightline it.

Now, if you're willing to spend a little more and take some time learning to work it I would recommend the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C4 series reel coupled with a decent 7 foot or so worm rod. That reel has a switch that activates a clicker so you can put the rod down without worrying about leaving the bell open or having a fish take your rod. Turn the clicker off and you've got a very nice 6.3 to 1 retreive baitcasting reel. The reel's about $70 and a decent rod will set you back another $40 or $50 but the combo will handle just about anything - including 40-inch bull redfish (I've got the pics to prove it ).

If you don't want to take the baitcasting plunge, you may want to try a nicer spincast reel like a Zebco 888. I bought one for my wife to use and it is much nicer than I expected. It has a pretty good drag and casts a ton better than any other spincast I've tried.

Edited to add: E229Lt is right, for real fun go light tackle. You'll catch a lot more fish and when you get a good one on it will be a whole lot more fun!
    Last edited by EFD840; 07-29-2004 at 11:13 PM.

Thumbs up Penn reels

Been fishing the jersey shore for many years and have had both Abu Garcia and Penn reels. Never any problems with either. Cleaning and lubrication after each trip is important. I've had Penn reels with no problems for going on twenty years. Many of my friends also use Penn and the few that have had problems take the reel back to the local factory here and repairs are made free of charge, normally in less than three days. (The free policy may have changed because most of my friends take care of their equipment and I can't remember anyone needing a repair in three years.) I'm sure that you can ship them the reel and they would provide the same service.

As far as weight of the line, your problem could be one of two issues not related to test weight. First it may be that you aren't checking the line after you catch one. I will always check the condition of the line just above the hook/leader after every catch, by running my fingers over the line. I have found that after a good fight, this portion of the line may have frayed. Cutting the hook off, cutting off the frayed portion and then re-attaching your hook will elimate a lot of "hooked up but failed to land fish". Additionally old line will eventually rot. Replace your line every year at the beginning of each season, with fresh line from your local sporting goods store. It pays off. And don't buy that florescent crap. If you can see it in the water so can the fish.

Additionally you may wish to consider something other than 20 pound test, since there's gotta be a few other test weights between 10 and 20 pounds.

I agree with EFD840 and E229Lt that landing the big ones with light tackle is so much more fun, unless your a "meat" fisherman.

I have so much more fun with false albacore or bonita on 10 pound test than I've ever had with any other type fishing, short of stippers and tuna.

How big was it?

Forum Member

Default thanks for the input

Thanks for the input, I will still use my light test, but the lake that I am currently fishing at has some of the biggest darn catfish I have ever seen, and I will be doing some inlet fishing. Probaly gona invest in a saltwater reel and rod. Thanks for the input.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Hey we fish essox ( northern pike and musky)up north here using heavy weight rods I use a endevor graphite with a st. Croix reel. Braded ripcord si 65 lb test. Spider wire is good to it has the strength of 65lb but the diameter of 10 lb. costs a little more but well worth it. Cabelas has some great combos for what your looking for. I sugest getting a 7 ft heavy weight rod, you wont have to mess with the small fish, when you set into a big one you will have the hook set and the spine in your rod to do a great battle. If you use leaders try the titianum leaders they dont get kinked like wire leaders and are much stronger. you can rap them around your hand and not fold the wire. well good luck id think about getting some good equiptment it is a life long investment.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Here's The Scoop.......................

Several Rules:
    1. Real Fish don't live in salt water.
    2. The lighter the better, if you want to catch Fish.
    3. Read Rule #1 Again.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information