Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

Default Need Some Advice

Last year I tested for a large metropolitan fire deptartment in the midwest. I my honest opinion, I kicked butt and scored very well. Taking in consideration city employees were placed ahead of me regardless of how they scored I ranked 47th out of several hundred. In fact, friends on the job there and FFs I've met told me for an outsider, that was an impressive ranking.

During a 'normal' year they hire as many as 60-90 recruits. It is my understanding they did not hire any new FFs in '03. As with many cities across the country they are in a budget crisis. I just read the adopted city budget which takes effect July of this year thru June of next year. They are proposing to hire only 30 new FFs.

Friends and associates on the job there are not sure what is going on. They have said normally I would already be there, or should be on my way any day. Of course they are only going by what 'normally' happens and really do not have any inside info, but they are trying to be helpful.

My family and I have done everyting but put our life on hold for this job. We are eager to be closer to family and friends, not to mention better opportunities for both of us. We have both held up on re-enrolling in college to finish our degrees as well as spending major bucks on our home that we could be moving out of in the next 6 months. Not to mention the move would be several hundred miles.

This FD is my dream job. Its where Ive always wanted to go. My family and I love this city. Its basically where we grew up. I have been fortunate enough to work as a career firefighter for the past 11 years, but I won't get into what a nightmare it is here. It will never change, alot of the 'good' guys are moving on to bigger and better places, and no one can blame them. In fact the chief is encouraging it.

Ive been around this biz long enough to know NOTHING is concrete. But Im trying to plan for my family's future. What do you guys think about calling someone 'official' and asking what my chances are. The list expires in December of next year. Im not looking for a precise answer. I would be happy with "Patience, wait your turn it will happen" or "Not a snowballs chance...plan on taking the test again next year!"

What do you guys/gals think?

fieldseng2

Forum Member

Default Yes, patience

This sounds like a larger agency. Most HR in larger cities are constantly being bombared with calls from candidates. What could you possibly say or do that could change your status?

Youíre devastated. You donít know why you haven't been picked up yet. You want to know. Maybe thereís something you can do, someone you can talk to convince them youíre the guy they need; there has to be a mistake. Just give me a chance to prove myself.

What do you do now? You feel hurt, angry, frustrated and betrayed. Well, there is not much you can do. If you push too hard you might hurt your chances of getting on here or somewhere else. Even if you are able to get someone to talk to you, you probably will never really find out what is happening. It just happens sometimes for whatever reason.

If you're near this city, consider just dropping by and hope to be able to talk to someone in personnel to gain an update. Otherwise consider waiting until the next round of hiring.

In the mean time are you PREPARED to pass the next steps in the hiring process if you get a conditional job offer pending your passing of the psych, poly, background, medical, etc? Just because you're already a firefighter does not mean you will be given a pass here. It's one thing to be waiting by the mail box or phone bitting your nails. It's another thing to not be ready, yes you can prepared for each of those steps in advance, and be taken out by stepping on some land mines while trying to jump through all the flaming hoops to complete the hiring process. It happens all the time.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"
    www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-30-2004 at 11:07 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

Thanks Capt. Bob,

Yes, it is a large dept....about 700 uniformed FFs... According to my sources they are on the verge of being nearly 100 FFs short of full staffing, and have not hired ANYONE since 2002.

As far as the next step goes..(psych, medical, background) I feel it shouldnt be a problem. The only way I can be passed up at this point is to fail one of these steps. Im sure I won't.

As a union official for my current FD I get hammered w/questions from candidates when they will (or if) be hired. Sometimes it does get to be a pain, but I understand and appreciate their anxiety and eagerness to get that call. I can usually guage how many we may hire, but I always add a disclaimer what a nightmare it is here and that could change at any moment.

As for my own situation....Im a bit paranoid (borderline supersicious) to ask any but my friend on the job there. But he can only tell me what the rumor mill is running with.

So for now...I will do what I thought was right all along and follow Capt. Bob's more than expert opinion and see what happens. I have until Dec. of 2005 when the list expires, and for added insurance I will probably test again next year....

I think I probably got my hopes too far up when I tested for my dream FD (for the 1st time I may add!), and ranked well within the parameters of what they hire in a year let alone two!

How true it is what the wiseman says....even if you do EVERYTHING perfectly......

Thanks again Capt. Bob....you have helped more thru this whole process than you may know....

fieldseng2

Forum Member

Default Glad to help

, it is a large dept....about 700 uniformed FFs... According to my sources they are on the verge of being nearly 100 FFs short of full staffing, and have not hired ANYONE since 2002.

A. With your ranking and those numbers you should be in position when things start happening.

As far as the next step goes..(psych, medical, background) I feel it shouldnt be a problem. The only way I can be passed up at this point is to fail one of these steps. Im sure I won't.

A. That's my point. Just because you are already a firefighter and may have passed a psych you should not be over confident. I just talked to a firefighter who had already passed two previous psych tests and just failed one as the last step of a hiring process. If you have not alredy done so check out the psych, medical, background section of the FREE 101 Inside Secrets How to Get a Badge here
    http://eatstress.com/faq.htm

As a union official for my current FD I get hammered w/questions from candidates when they will (or if) be hired. Sometimes it does get to be a pain, but I understand and appreciate their anxiety and eagerness to get that call. I can usually guage how many we may hire, but I always add a disclaimer what a nightmare it is here and that could change at any moment.

A. It proves again that it's easier from the inside looking out than being on the outside looking in.

As for my own situation....Im a bit paranoid (borderline supersicious) to ask any but my friend on the job there. But he can only tell me what the rumor mill is running with.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you"

So for now...I will do what I thought was right all along and follow Capt. Bob's more than expert opinion and see what happens. I have until Dec. of 2005 when the list expires, and for added insurance I will probably test again next year....

I think I probably got my hopes too far up when I tested for my dream FD (for the 1st time I may add!), and ranked well within the parameters of what they hire in a year let alone two!

"Don't worry til it's time to worry. It's not time to worry yet."

How true it is what the wiseman says....even if you do EVERYTHING perfectly......

Thanks again Capt. Bob....you have helped more thru this whole process than you may know....

Thank you for the kind and gracious words. Glad to help.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information