MembersZone Subscriber

Default firefighter 240 card

i am sorry if this has been posted before, but i tried to search the forums and it wouldn't let me due to the 240 not having enough letters.

what is a firefighter 240 card? i've never heard of this, and on an application for employment for a city in ohio, this is the first i've seen of it....

any help would be greatly appericated.

Forum Member

This is the Firefighter II certification. It is required for all career firefighters in the state of Ohio. The certification can be achieved by attending a 240 hour (6 week)academy, or by obtaining FF1 (120 hours) and FF2 (120 hours)at different times.

Forum Member

Not to be hyper picky, but you also can take the 36, 84, 120 route, which adds up to a 240...but your best bet is to save up some cash and just go to the academy. One of my buddies went the 36, 84, 120 route through a local vocational school, then then applied at a full time fire department that didn't accept that vocational schools certifications. The nice thing is that this department will send him to the academy for free...bad thing is that he is going to have in total 480 hours of training that counts only as 240.

Forum Member

The certificate varies in hours in different states, for example in Florida it is 320 hours, and I believe Texas is more than that.

MembersZone Subscriber

The certificate varies in hours in different states, for example in Florida it is 320 hours, and I believe Texas is more than that.
    Sorry. Try again pal. Florida is 450 hours for Firefighter II. How do I know? I took it last year. I've heard that they are going to make it 500 hours soon.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Not to split hairs but firefighter1219 the school you attended probally taught 450 hours, but fs633.35(1) reads "The division shall establish a firefighter training program of not less than 360 hours"
    When I attended the academy we went 320 hours but the state only required 280 hours at the time.The state does dictate what subjects and the number of hours required but you can exceed those minium hours.How do I know this? State certified Instructor, Fire Inspector.

Forum Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe ohio has one of the lowest hour requirments for FF2

former FH.com member

Originally posted by kjohn23
    You are correct, Texas requires 468 hours for Basic Structure Fire Protection certification. (along with a minimum of ECA from TDH) -46

Thread Information