IACOJ BOD

Default Lie back and think of OSH

New Zealand Herald

By ANGELA GREGORY
    Prostitutes need to get beds with good back support and watch out for occupational overuse syndrome, says New Zealand's first safety guide for sex workers.

The 100-page Occupational Safety and Health guide to safe sex practices - introduced as a result of last year's prostitution reform legislation - has been launched on the Government organisation's website with the caution: "Warning: this document contains sexually explicit material".

The recommendations, which will also be distributed to brothels and sex workers, include detailed advice on safe sex practices such as the storage and handling of sex toys and disinfecting equipment.

Employers are asked to ensure condoms in a variety of shapes and sizes are always available, and to provide beds that support the back for a variety of services to be performed without strain or discomfort.

Comprehensive training of staff in the safe use of all equipment, particularly for fantasy work, is also recommended.

The guide warns sex workers to watch out for signs of overuse disorders, which occur among people who work in fixed or constrained postures, perform rapid repetitive tasks or use forceful movements.

Tips for sex workers who visit clients in their homes include noting as they approach whether the house is well lit, and to listen for indications of more than one person inside. They are advised to always get the payment first and keep the "money bag" in sight at all times.

They should always carry a work kit with such tools of the trade as lubricant, gloves and condoms.

The guide also recommends the sex workers carry a small torch to be used in the event of there being unsatisfactory lighting by which to examine a client for signs of sexually transmitted diseases, and to wash body areas with mild antiseptics after "trick sex".

Mike Cosman of OSH said the guide was developed in consultation with the Prostitutes Collective, industry representatives, ACC, the Ministry of Health, the Police and Local Government New Zealand.

Acting Director of Public Health Dr Douglas Lush said the guide would be a valuable resource for the sex industry to understand how to meet health and safety requirements.

Catherine Healy of the Prostitutes Collective said the guide was a historic advancement.

"This is something we couldn't develop before the change in legislation. Now we can offer a lot of practical advice that will support sex workers in working safely."

TIPS FOR SEX WORKERS

* Use beds with good back support so services "can be performed without strain or discomfort".

* Watch out for occupational overuse syndrome, often caused by rapid repetitive tasks or forceful movements.

* Carry a small torch in case you need to check clients for sexually transmitted diseases.

My country has gone mad.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Carry a small torch in case you need to check clients for sexually transmitted diseases.
    A torch here is not a torch there brings a whole new meaning to it!!!

Unwritten meaning: If evidence of sexually transmitted disease is apparent then use the torch further to burn said disease away
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

"Pardon me while I light this road flare and check for VD..."
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Prostitutes Collective - Do they have a union??????
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Originally posted by StayBack500FT
    Prostitutes Collective - Do they have a union??????
    That was what I was wondering too. Also "...carry a small torch..." Kinda gives a whole new meaning to "safe sex" eh? Now I wonder: are they referring to the battery powered electric or gas powered version?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

The mind bogles...

Wonder if luminous condoms would do instead of a torch...?
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Maybe they use the torch to sterilize the "unit" prior to usage......

Forum Member

"cootie cauterization?"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    "cootie cauterization?"
    He he......... That just sounds naughty!!!!

Forum Member

Exclamation

fried crabs ? ...........torch ? seafood buffet ? huh >?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Kiwi, do your fire marshals approve of this use of torches?

Thread Information