Thread: Boston FD

Forum Member

Default Boston FD

If I were applying to BFD with a Kansas FFI&II and a few years experience with a small dept. Would I have to go through the academy or could I just test. I was told by someone that I would have to complete the BFD academy to hire on.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/bfd/info/hiring.htm

Any previous training means zip. nadda. nothing.

Candidates are ranked based on civil service test scores (I think it's once every two years the state of Massachusetts does a fire service civil service test you need) plus preference points for child of a LODD, wartime veteran, and city residency, probably some other things. If you score high enough and go on to pass other requirements (physicals, etc) then you've got a shot. They're no longer under racial quotas...don't know how that affects things, before it was very rare for a white guy to get on w/o both veteran & residency preference.
    Last edited by Dalmatian90; 07-30-2004 at 09:42 PM.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Default Re: Boston FD

Originally posted by CaptainMikey
    If I were applying to BFD with a Kansas FFI&II and a few years experience with a small dept. Would I have to go through the academy or could I just test. I was told by someone that I would have to complete the BFD academy to hire on.
    You would have to take the civil service test for entry level firefighter in 2006.......like the rest of us.
    You would have to have lived in the city for 1 year prior to applying......like the rest of us.
    You will have to go to the academy at Boot Island/Mass. fire academy.......like the rest of us.
    You will have to live in the city of Boston while employed by the Boston Fire department because you are not grandfathered in.........like the rest of us.

The Boston Fire department is a good and proud department but many of the jakes I know work about 2 other jobs on days off...just to live in the city.

Its wierd, you have to live there but they dont pay you enough to live there!!!
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

*asterisk

When I said civil service test....... its is a state wide test. NOT a special test just for Boston.

Forum Member

You will have to go to the academy at Boot Island/Mass. fire academy.. just like the rest of us
    The Boston Fire Department drill school is on Moon Island. They do not send their recruits to the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy for their basic training.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Capt. my reference to them going the MFA was for the LNG training.
    LNG training

Alot of northshore departments that have already completed the academy went back last year too for LNG and confinded space classes because of the New Yankee pipe line that cut across the northshore.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was told by a friend on the BFD..if you do not live in the City of Boston you have no chance in hell to get hired....residency, legacy, military points.........if you are in Kansas...forget it....

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought it was confounded space! Most of the posts are correct, Moon island is the required post-hire training academy. The recruits often train offsite for certain evolutions, including Worcester, the MFA and Logan airport. The 1 year residency and Military Veteran status are key for any chance.

JForristall -- just curious what they do out in Worcester, I know the city has the new burn building, but it's not that special/unusual AFAIK.

(btw I work in downtown Worcester so I'm a minor buff of them.)
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry for the delay. The one "special" thing about the Worcester building is the fact that it functions. The "smokehouse" at Moon Island is condemned for training (live burn) evolutions. The Department has a new building similar to the Worcester facility in the new budget. The plan is supposed to have a new facilty in about a year. JF

Thread Information