Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Cadets and Junior Firefighters question

Hi all. I wa looking for some input on junior firefighters. Im in a combination department in NC.

For those of you that have juniors, what is your process? They still fill out the application here. the ages are 13-17. No live fire training. no calls after 10 on school nights, and must have parents approval to join. background checks are out of the question beacuse you cant get juvenile records. (in NC anyway). Does your department vote them in like seniors? do they have a probationary period? thanks in advance, just looking for new ideas.

My god! HHH is running like a scalded dog here!!!!!

Forum Member

Default Juniors

Our juniors have their own meetings with being voted on by their members. We do have 2 senior members that attend their meetings. Our S.O.G's state they are not allowed to do much on a scene other than directing traffic. Funny that I read this today. The reason being during our meeting today we discussed the new issue thru the state. The Virginia Department of Fire Programs states now that junior members between the ages of 16/17 can fully participate in any activity of the Fire Department as long as they have proper signatures from parents/legal guardians and the fire deprtment has proper insurance to cover them and also they must be Firefighter Level I certified. So now we must go back and review our policies on this matter. I like the idea of no calls after 10pm on school nights. We have a award program for our juniors. If they make a straight A honor roll in school we give them $50 gift card for Walmart. A-B honor roll they get $25 gift card. We felt like it would maybe give them incentive to make better grades.

auk

Juniors have to be accepted by the Board of Fire Commisioners just like any other member. They are 16 and up. If the member is in HS and is 18, they can remain a junior member.
    They have to take a physical.
    Juniors (as well as any minors who may be visiting) are allowed in the firehouse with a regular member. They can be in the firehouse until 10 on school nights and 11 on non-school nights. They are allowed to respond to calls after this time with a note from the parent on file.

We have a junior (Explorer) group. It falls under the umbrella of the boy scouts of America. Two of our FF volunteer as advisors. The kids need to apply, then are accepted/rejected by the advisors. They are not allowed to do any interior attack ect, but we do our best to let them do what we can to teach them and allow them as much hands on experience as safely possible.... We also encourage them to attend Entry-Level FF classes. When they reach 18, if they've completed the required training, they are automatically put on active duty if they desire. I believe thier insurance is also covered by the Boy Scouts.

i am a junior at my company and we don't get voted in until we are 18. during the summer we can respond 24/7. during school we can respond to a call from 5am-11pm on school night, but if we get a call at 10:30pm and it lasts all night, we can stay. on weekends and holidays, we can respond until midnight.

My department has no calls after 10PM and only a few restrictions on what juniors can do. We can't go on mutual aid calls and we can't go to toxic crap. We can't use certain tools either though. We participate in every company activity though.

Thread Information