Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber nozzelvfd's Avatar

Angry Multi colored apparatus

OK if I sound mad when I write this, im not, agitated maybee...lol. You see, I am a firm believer that the color of a fire truck is RED with WHITE CAB on top and RED on bottom, and you will not change me on that as I am stuborn and get harrased about it daily. I am considered the racist appartus man (RAM for short).

But my department now has 3 diffrent colors in one house. Are old 1978 Mack engine is all red from cab to back (which by the way no one beats a mack in my opinion anyway and I can deal with the color), are 90's trucks, such as the two engines and rescue are Red and White (normal), then comes the new tower ladder, it's YELLOW with WHITE cab!!! ICKKKKKKKKK

So I am wonder how many other departments roll in to there neighborhoods with all diffrent colors of aparatus sort of like the circus is coming to town...lol

Of all the problems we have in the fire service, this is the one that peeves you the most?

I know departments that are running rigs held together with baling wire and bubble gum.

I know departments that can't get enopugh members to respond for a daytime house fire, yet get a full department response for a dumpster fire at 21:00 hours.

Are the rigs in good condition?
    Do they get the job done?

if the answer to the above is yes...

Shuddup!

PS: go here! http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=61131
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber nozzelvfd's Avatar

With all due respect captain, I posted it for something diffrent then the usual. Just for fun, to get away from the other issues. Sometimes you need to break off and relax. You are 100% correct about about departments not having trucks in good condition. We donated one of are old ones that was in great condition about 6 years ago to a department in Florida who treated the truck like it was brand new. Trust me dude, like I said it may sound like Im mad about it, but no I am not, just having fun with it is all.

If you're worried about the color of your fleet, you obviously have the sort of problems you want to have... As apparatus color ranks pretty low on the priority list.

As for running with multiple colors, neighboring Little Rock went with yellow apparatus in the very late 70s or very early 80s. (They have both a 1975 and a 1985 that are red, so the yellow era fell somewhere in those 10 years.) It's my understanding that they just got rid of the last front-line yellow rig last year. (They still have a couple of yellow rigs in reserve.) So, I guess it just takes time (or a nice paint budget) to get your fleet looking alike.

What I really want to know is why your department went to yellow just now? It seems everyone made the switch in the 1970s and most of those have returned to red. I know of no departments who are going in reverse.

Isn't red faster?
    Luke

former FH.com member

Talking I feel your pain Bro...

My Dept. is still in the transition from slime lime back to white-over-red. At my current house the Motor is red/white while the Truck is still slime lime, I think it sucks. Oh well, not a big deal and will be corrected eventually....at least the house has 2 poles.

Forum Member

Seems to me that you should be happy that you have a new ladder to ride on.

I personally like the Chicago paint schemes the best, but it doesn't matter, I've seen red trucks, yellow trucks, green trucks, purple trucks, black trucks, powder puff blue trucks, its all the same. It gets you from your station to the scene, gives you the tools to do the job, and then get you back.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking As Jaybird Says...................

DEJA MOO!! We beat the snot out of this dead horse a while back, but, given the headlines in the Papers each day, this is a less deadly conversation piece. As I've said here recently, our Chrome Yellow apparatus is now getting Black Cab Tops. ( www.gdvfd18.com ) Why? We've had solid Yellow since 1968, and the Black Top sets off the Yellow nicely. Some of the folks thought that the Black would honor those we've lost over the years. In anyone's measure, Maryland is a fairly small state, but we have every color apparatus known to a spray booth. I like the idea of different colors, I think individualism is one of the great things about America. Someone commented about Yellow apparaus going back to Red. The only Department that I know of doing this is Baltimore County Md. and I think their changeover is complete. Now, having said that, let me add that Departments all over the place are abandoning Lime Slime and going to something else. Lime Slime is not Yellow. I really don't know what it is, but I have seen shades of it in septic tanks and sewer pipes.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

looks like a school bus parking lot, HAHA just joking, i dont know why people complain about beating a dead horse, a good percentage of the current posts have been posted at some point in the past. Just answer it without the attitude or dont even respond. I like red with white.

Forum Member

As long as it pumps water, carries the equip that we need and gets us to a call and back safely I dont care what color it is, with acception (only red, white, yellow, maybe green)
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Yeah.................

Originally posted by fireems38
    looks like a school bus parking lot, HAHA just joking, i dont know why people complain about beating a dead horse, a good percentage of the current posts have been posted at some point in the past. Just answer it without the attitude or dont even respond. I like red with white.
    You ARE new here, aren't you.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

We ALL know that the paint scheme, chrome lug nuts, and gold leaf are what really put the fire out.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

We ALL know that the paint scheme, chrome lug nuts, and gold leaf are what really put the fire out.
    hehehehehe!
    Luke

Forum Member

Seeing as how we have black trucks, all kinds of chrome, and all kinds of gold leaf, maybe THAT is why we never get any calls. We scare the fire out before we get on scene. :scratches chin:
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

You ARE new here, aren't you.........
    No i switched names, i was 38r1theprobe with like a 100 posts but i haven't been a probie for a long time and thougt i would get a new name. I am just saying i have seen the same topics over and over and over but people always respond to them, so its not beating a dead horse. Its riding a dead horse, which is not very fun.
    Our new light rescue is white with orange and red striping, and gold leaf lettering. kinda skeptical of the scheme at first but looks VERY NICE. We have a local green team fire dept that gets harrassed all the time.
    Last edited by fireems38; 08-03-2004 at 09:13 PM.

Thread Information