MembersZone Subscriber

Default burning out on effort

This is my first time on this forum so pardon me for whining. I have all the qualifications needed for a fire medic. I am failing miserably on my tests, oral boards, and had a bad driving record 6 six years ago.

I felt like giving up last week. I did average on a written, thought i smoked the oral, and still came in 24th on the list out of 25~!!!

So what I am asking is what am I doing wrong?? Should I get my license expunged?? Move to another state?? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thank you for letting me vent. Any ideas what the hell to do??

Forum Member

First, don't give up. Let the other guys give up (it makes your odds beter).

Second, realize that you need to work on your interviewing skills. Try www.eatstress.com. It worked for me (I've receivied job offers from a several full time departments), it's worked for others, and it can work for you (but only if you practice with your tape recorder like Capt. Bob says). Interview in as many places as you can- the more practice, the better. Buy a new suit. Practice your answers in the car, in the shower, in the mirror, and with a video camera (of course, if you do some research, you'll already have a good idea of what kind of questions to expect).

Thirdly, just because you did "Average" on the written doesn't mean you don't need to study. There are plenty of study guides on the market- buy some and use them. Time yourself, learn how to concentrate for 2 hours at a time. When you're taking the test for real, use every second they give you. If you have 2 hours to take the test, and you finish in 1, take it again, writing your answers on scratch paper. Compare the answers on your scratch paper and the answers on your scantron- any disparties? then take another look at the question. Written tests can be hard, and the temptation to leave as soon as you're done can be strong, but realize that you're doing this for a 25-30 year career- what's an extra hour or so?

Fourth, don't forget about the physical agility! Focus on the cardio! I've seen more than one musclebound applicant collapse on the stairs and fail, simply because he lacked the endurance neccessary to pass a pre-employment agility test.

You've tried and tried, and you've still failed to get the badge you want. Guess what? We've all been there. Stick with it. Take some college courses or tech rescue classes to beef up your resume in the meantime, and don't forget to prepare for every aspect of the test. Next time the test for the job you want comes around, you'll be more prepared than the other guys, and get your badge. You just have to prepare.

Forum Member

I will second Kinghippo's advice, keep trying, and definetly check out that website. Work on those oral board skills and work on the written. Changing locations will not help if you can not get through the oral boards.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

thanks for the advice. i bought 3 practice books today.

about the eatstress thing, i am not sure. i bought the book because i could not afford the 80 for the tapes at the time. so i bought the book for $30. i was furious!! all the book was about was advertising for private coaching. i called and emailed and got no response. the book taught me absolutely nothing, but that i need coaching. so i doubt i will invest anymore.

thanks again, and hopefully ill get something soon.

Forum Member

Default Confused

wolfalicious:

If that's all you got from the book you probably missed the whole point. Too many are looking for books with suggested answers that they can use in their orals. Those type of books will only make you into a clone of everyone else. As one candidate wrote:

Captain Bob has written a book that will help anybody that is serious about getting a firefighter job. I find it ironic that a person would want the easy "answers" to any oral board questions, as this is exactly the opposite of what his program is about. He arms a candidate with good information and lets them develop their own answers with "nuggets" from their life experiences. I have followed his book and his personal advice (yes, he will answer and return your phone calls!) and am happy to say that I recently just received a job offer. I have recommended and will still recommend this book to people looking to get into the fire department. Beau Watson (Seattle, WA USA) -

For more comments on the book on Amazon.com check here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Our program hindges on convincing candidates to personlize their presentions with their life experience stories. No one can tell your story.

I'm not sure where you called or e-mailed but I don't recently recall anything from you. No one has ever lost a penny on our products. All our products come with a no questions asked full refund. Be happy to return your money and your misery. But I would do one better by sending you the remainder of the program (the DVD/CD's) and a private coaching session at no cost to see if it doesn't make a difference.

Captain Bob
    888-238-3959
    captbob@eatstress.com
    www.eatstress.com

Thread Information