View Poll Results: What is you Department going to do?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Accept a base unit

4 50.00%
  • Accept a mobile unit

2 25.00%
  • Not get one at all

1 12.50%
  • What the heck is Starcom 211

1 12.50%

Thread: Starcom 21

Forum Member

Default Starcom 21

What is everyone doing about Starcom 21 radios. Are you going to ask for one? Will you get a base or mobile unit? Whats your thoughts!

Sorry for the typo in the last choice of the poll. It will not let me back in to correct it.
    Last edited by 80FIRE; 08-03-2004 at 10:38 AM.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Les, you forgot to vote.
    We'll probably take a base, provided we don't have to pay a penny for at least 5 years.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

We're taking a base unit. I'm not sold on the usability of this deal either. I'm nervous about a public safety network being run by a private company, even if it is Motorola.

The radio geek on our department was all ticked off because I sent in for a base radio. He says, "We should have got mobiles. If we have to respond anywhere for a disaster, we HAVE to have these radios." I said, BS, this is an optional program. He argued again, and I said, show me where it says we have to have these radios. He couldn't. What rig are you going to put it in? No room in the truck (already have VHS and UHF, plus portables); no room in the engine, no room in the ambo, no room in the squad. How 'bout the tanker!?!

Jack, if I read the propaganda correctly, it'll cost us $100 per radio per year after the first year; and something like $40 per month if we use 'em. I guess those are reasonable figures. Like the APRs, I'll withhold comment till I see what we're getting and how it is supposed to work.....

Les, you still haven't voted yet.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Jay, from what I've read, it's absolutly free for the first 5 years, unless you use it for something other than the basic group. I think the basic group is the statewide alerting system. Each homeland security section in the state will also have its own group. If we want to talk in that group, it's $52/month for each month we use it. The way I look at it, we're not going to use it for anything except listen to whatever happens on the basic group. Most of our MABAS division is in a different HS region than we are so we'll not be using it for MABAS stuff. It's free, if we don't take it now we'll probably not get another chance. If we don't want it after 5 years, let them have it back. It's supposed to be talked about at the MABAS Executive Council meeting Thursday. Our pres. will be there and Les said he's going so we should be able to get some good info back from those guys.
    For what its worth, I agree with you about which one to get. Somebody will be at the base if we have an emergency and we can talk to the trucks from there so let's put it at the station. You only get 1 radio for free, but I'm sure Motorola would sell you some more for $$$$$$$. Les said he thinks its using the Nextel network and Nextel doesn't work here so portable will be out of the question.
    Glad I'm not the neighboring dept. They just got paged to a semi hauling a flatbed full of wood that is burning. The semi tractor is burning and the fuel tanks are full. It's also 90 degrees outside now and the humidity must be about that, too. Lunch time.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Default are you happy now!

I voted!!
    Sorry about that. I posted it and got interupted at the firehouse before I had a chance to vote. After last nights meeting we are probably leaning towards a base unit. Lots of good arguments both ways. I still have a few questions that need to be answered before sending in the request. It is my understanding that Jack is correct on costs. I read that it is $100 per year after 5 years and $52 a month if used outside the approved group/s. I would like to know what these free groups exactly are. Can I give it back in 5 years if we don't wish to pay the annual fee or do I have to sign the rest my life away to Motorola to get one. I hate to pass up a good opertunity that may not be offered again in the future but I don't want to get locked into anything that may come back to haunt us in the future. If these radios are like all the other new electronics they will be severly outdated in 5 years. Thanks for the imput and I will keep you updated on what happens at Thursday's meeting.

Forum Member

I think we're going for the base as well for the same reason Jack made. The station will be covered and we can just listen in.

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

It didn't sound like too many from around us were even interested in having one when we talked about them at our last chief's meeting (last Thursday). Guess some changed their minds.
    Chad, have a truck on fire at your work place today?
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Starcom 21

What does everyone think these radios will do? Doesn't your MABAS work with VHF Simplex Radios? Another dust catcher doesn't sound like a good idea, especially if it cost you money to operate on it.

Forum Member

Default Truck on fire

Jack, wasn't much of a fire. A Beckmanns truck had the battery behind the cab that sits on the chassis short out catching the battery and several of the wires on fire. The driver emptied his little extinguisher on it and then I emptied one of ours on it. It was stubborn though. Couldn't really get underneath the battery cover very well and couldn't really reduce the ignition temp much since I was using dry chemical. Had it out before City got there though. It did pop once while I was dousing it and I thought, "What am I doing?! I don't have my gear!!!"
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Les, I'm sorry to screw up your poll, but I have to change my vote. We won't be getting a Starcom 21 at all. Our trustees have voted tonight to not participate in the program. They all thought it was just a waste of room on the desk. So take one off of the base and add the first vote to not taking one at all.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

No problem Jack
    After my trustee meeting Wed. night I may have the same problem.
    I have a feeling you wont be the only one who refuses this offer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know what the system will cost to run/maintain once the freebies are handed out?
    And can 911 funds be used to cover costs?
    Just curious.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

CR, read 80's earlier post on this thread and it tells the costs down the line and cost if it's used other than on the basic group. I'd guess that if your 911 system pays for some of the dispatch cost, 911 could pay for this. But it doesn't cost anything unless it's used in other than the basic group. I feel kind of dumped on that my trustees basically said it was useless and they didn't want it in their station.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I did read it; still confused over $$$!

Jack;
    You're talkin' to a forums pro here. I read every post.
    I read Les's . We talked about it Sunday nite. But I'm still confused and here's why:
    I read that it is $100 per year after 5 years and $52 a month if used outside the approved group/s. I would like to know what these free groups exactly are. Can I give it back in 5 years if we don't wish to pay the annual fee or do I have to sign the rest my life away to Motorola to get one.
    What does it cost for the FIRST 5 YEARS? Are they covered by warranty or don't they break down? At $100 a year, the state will recoup their investment plus in less than 5 years, as I'm sure they got bulk purchase rates.
    $52 a month if used outside the approved groups. Who are the approved groups? When you read the fine print in the agreement, is that anyone outside of your MABAS? Or county? Or designated geographical area?
    Can you give it back in LESS than 5 years or are you stuck with it for AT LEAST 5 years?
    The only benefit I currently see is to Motorola.
    Jack; remind them that it's NOT THEIR STATION!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I read in the latest letter about the radios is that they are at aboslutly no cost for the first 5 years if used only on the basic group. It also read that each homeland security region would have its own group, but they would not be included in the basic. If we used it in that group, it's $52. Other than that, I don't know. Nothing was mentioned about MABAS divisions being groups, or what other groups would be set up. I hope Les can get everything sorted out and let us know after the exec meeting today.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

This is what I found out today. Most of what we have been discussing here has been correct.

The radios, instalation, and maintaince will be covered by the ITTF. They believe the base units will be a mobile radio on a power pack so if you are in doubt what you want the base could always be changed tyo a mobile unit. There is no cost associated with the radios if used within approved groups. I was not able to get any exact info as to what the approved groups will be. It was stressed that these radios are not intended to replace any local or MABAS communications systems and do not address interoperability improvements. These radios will allow fast secure transmissions to and from the EOC across the state in case of of a large scale emergency. It was also noted that if the radios need to be used outside the approved group you will be charged $52 per month. If the state wide emergency plan is activated this will qualify for reimbursement from the state. It was also noted that these radios have the capability of communicating on existing trunked systems outside of the starcom 21 system. No charges will occur if used this way. If I think of any more in the morning I will add it. Its been to long of a day to think real straight right now.

BTW...Jay and Art..we waved on the way by

Thread Information