Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radio

Lightbulb Radio

WHEN YOUR ON SENCE WERE DO YOU PUT YOUR 2 WAY RADIO IF
    YOU DONT HAVE A POCKET FOR ONE?

FIGHTING CECIL 295

That depends if it has a belt clip or if your using a case. If a case, does it have a belt loop or a shoulder strap?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Default Re: Radio

Originally posted by FIREMENDAN295
    WHEN YOUR ON SENCE WERE DO YOU PUT YOUR 2 WAY RADIO IF
    YOU DONT HAVE A POCKET FOR ONE?

FIGHTING CECIL 295
    When I am on scene I keep my radio in a safe place. I put my radio [I]where[I/] it won't be broken or lost if I cannot hold onto it myself. I barely ever even bring my old brick *coughs* excuse me, I meant radio, with me to the station anymore.

You may want to learn some "netiquette", press your Caps Lock key, along with spell checking your posts.

Forum Member

I splurged and got myself a radio strap (fdny uses them), it is great.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

my turnout coat has a radio pocket in it for easy storage and access.

My pager, cell phone, and portable radio can fit in there safely.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

We donít go on scene, and donít even think about carrying a radio. I would recommend a radio case with a belt clip or strap.

good job of deciphering that one peoples ! WOW ! I would almost bet this person doenst need a radio period.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I'm thinking along the lines that they don't need it.

The only time I really use mine is if I'm the hydrant man. That's happened..once.

If you're questioning where to put it, obviously you are not responsible enough to come up with your own solutions of where to safely put a radio.

Forum Member

42, ur 200% right on that one, in my opinion, an explorer should never have a dept radio. We had an explorer impersonate a inspector on the radio. If they dont have one, things wont happen. I have no problem with a inter-post radio used for events. If you are the hydrant man, ever heard of hand signals, the way it I was taught.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Please 'scuse spelling mistrakes ( ), it's four AM and can't sleep, vision is blurry and yawning doesn't help.

42, ur 200% right on that one, in my opinion, an explorer should never have a dept radio. We had an explorer impersonate a inspector on the radio. If they dont have one, things wont happen.
    The chief pretty much said this to us:

"You guys are now signed off on the use of radios. Obviously it's going to take a little getting used to, having the radios now. I want you guys to use them if instructed to, or if its a big emergency and you need to alert the crew. No plain talking on them, no telling jokes, you get the picture. Use them wisely, or you will not be using them at all."

Going a little off topic, but just addressing what Mikey stated. Obviously that explorer was way out of line, and was starting to get an ego-complex. Not having radios is not an end all solution, not all cadets/explorers/juniors/gofors are going to abuse the privallege.

If you are the hydrant man, ever heard of hand signals, the way it I was taught.
    Some of our lays can be >500 feet. Around 550 if I remember correctly. Hand signals would just not work in my opinion, so we've adapted to using radios. Another potential problem is snow. Visibility can be very limited, better to use a radio and have the engineer/chauffer transmit and repeat the command to open the line up, then think you see a signal by mistake.

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

also that thing about hand signals and being hydrant man. Kind of hard to see a person at night from 500 feet...unless they are radioactive. That's a situation in which hand signals are useless and a radio would work wonders.

His callsign would be "hydrant" and that's all he would answer by.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

I agree, explorers don't need radios. ok, if they are the hyrdant guy, maybe, but in that case, just put it in your pocket, do your assigned task, and return to the engine to help out whenyou finish.

if you don't have pockets, you probably shoudn't have a radio. if you do have pockets, but they aren't designed for a radio, then you need to improvise. i will sometimes put the radio in my bunker pants pocket, and attach the lapel mike to my suspenders, if I am not wearing my coat. if i do have a radio pocket, i will place it there and pull the mike around the back of my neck and clip it onto my coat.

personally, I wouldn't invest in one of those FDNY style radio straps. it's money that could be spent better elsewhere.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Just being the explorer i am, i feel that radios are really not ment for us UNLESS there is that one in a million time that it is nessesary but even then i feel its about how your officer trusts you and your abilities.

Let me put a little insight in as a officer in my post. I understand from what you guys have said that your "higher ups" said that you can use radios now. From the drift you are coming across is that you ride the trucks, have pagers, radios, gear and all. My personal opinion is the following:
    -If your with someone in the department, give them the radio
    -If your alone near the "Hot Zone" you shouldn't be there, find a department member and try to lend a helping hand.
    -In some rare case your the hydrant man than use it, but only in emergency or asked/called. Remember the proper proffessional etiquette and keep things simple and to the point. Dont tell them:
    -Hooking Up Supply Line
    -Supply Line Connected
    -Opening Hydrant
    -Hydrant Open.

Keep it simple, just tell them the hydrants open and thats all.

Now on where to place the radio. My department carrys shoulder straps/cases on the trucks. The officer and MPO usually take those and the other teams usually put them in one of three spaces:

-In the radio pouch on the chest of the bunker coat
    -In the side pocket of the bunker coat with the mic attached to the middle of the coat where u can easily transmit and speak without moving it.
    -In the bunker pant pocket stretching the mic to the suspenders when not wearing a coat
    -The final place thats always good when not in the "hot zone" is your hand! Hold it and place it down for one second if need be.

Hope This Helps!

Mike
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

Dont tell them:
    -Hooking Up Supply Line
    -Supply Line Connected
    -Opening Hydrant
    -Hydrant Open.
    I'm being a real heckler tonight.

...DO TELL THAT IT IS OPEN / FLOWING WATER. Say we lay in 1000 feet of 4" for a quick supply while we wait for second due to arrive. Guess what? If I charge that 4" and don't tell my Engineer, I'll get a good butt chewing.

Hmm what happens if the Engineer is waiting for water, but has to look away for a second, not realizing that the line is charging because you didn't acknowledge?

Forum Member

Unless you are flowing at a faster rate than you can manage with your booster tank in one minute, it shouldn't matter when the water gets there from the hydrant.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

If you read on my post i say just tell them that its open. I am saying that you dont need to radio in every thing you do since the department guys know what your doing since they have to do it as well and know whats going on.
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

Default where to put radio?

Not to answer stuff that wasnt in the original post. If the radio has belt clip, use it, if not use any pocket that will allow its use. if none of those are available, leave it somewhere safe and find a senior member that can direct you.

Also in my experience if you do not have a shoulder(remote) speaker mic. then the radio will be more cumbersome than usefull. MOst fireground instruction will come face to face (as you will not be an interior crew)

Hope this helps some,

As far as some of the other posts for & against radio use by the junior/exploer/etc. All opinions aside, it seems that each different department will have their own policies for the subject.

Thread Information