Thread: Airhorn Flasher

Forum Member

Question Airhorn Flasher

Has anybody heard of a flasher style unit wired into the truck airhorn system? This I guess would provide a "wig-wag" style sound. I thought I seen a video once that had a LA city running lights and sirens and I thought I heard some sort of Stutter in the air horn sound but I could be wrong. Does any body have a sound bite of something like this? Just curious about this. Came up during a discussuion in the truck bays. Thanks.

Forum Member

Default I have heard if it

Yes I have heard of it it is a flasher that flases either the horns on and off or the horns left and right. I think the unit I delivered was in Cromwell Ct. it was many years ago. I thought they were talking about a Grover "Stuttertone" and then they showed me a unit with the stutter tone feature. it's a different concept good for intersections.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

Our nieghboing department has one on their new KME Tower...its a wierd sounding horn....I don't know how effective it is....never asked them...(sort of don't care either )....but I know they have it because I always hear it...Just remember the best thing for intercetions IS common sense, good chauffer skills, and patience..to name a few...

We both cover the same areas...Very conjested roads and highways...No amount of lights, horns, or whatever works...just our own common sense, good MPO/LCC/RCC skills, and PATIENCE work....

just my 2 cents...
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Yes, we have about 40 units equipped with these. If you'd like, I'll take a look at the type module we have installed Sunday while at work. It is my experience that the breaking up of the tone is much much more effective than just a solid airhorn tone.

When we were at Luverne about three years ago, they had never heard of it until they did it on our trucks. They have since started making it an option from what I understand.

Forum Member

Thumbs down Stutter Tone

We have the Stutter Tone air horns on both of our Pierce units and nobody likes them. We have had nothing but problems with the systems and they just don't seem to have the traffic alerting effect that a standard "Big Rig" air horn has. "Big Rig" air horns and a mechanical "Q" siren are just plain hard to beat.

Forum Member

Do you have the grover stuttertone emergency service horns? You can go to the websites and see that they have the most db output. You may want to have them checked...something is wrong.

You know they can be adjusted at the horn.

Forum Member

Exclamation Stutter Tones

I believe that they are the Grover models. I find that while the Stutter may grab the attention of drivers close by, they lack deep penetration due to the fact that the stutter feature doesn't allow the horn to reach its full output before stuttering to the other horn. The local rescue truck has the traditional "Big Rig" style horns and it blows our trucks away. (not to metion the taffic in front of it)

Forum Member

Some confusion here.. the Stuttertone horn is a horn with a modified diaphram only permitted for use on emergency vehicles. the Stuttertone is from the emmissions of both a high and low pitch and uses a lot of air. Very loud and distincive if set up right. If your running dual horns they need to be feed by a 3/8" airline and use a 3/8" electric over air Solinoid to get proper air volume. Often these are fed with a cheap Solinoid that doesn't supply enough air volume or 3/8" line is used to feed the valve the splits into 1/8" lines to each horn. this will result in a sick moose sound rather than the traffic blasting sound the Stuttertone will produce. There is no louder horn.

Using a wig wag flasher and dual solinoids would work for alternating a left right sound. the short burst of air would not be sufficiant in duration to really get these horns to sound off. and provide a weak whistle snort sound.

Believe me if the horns are plumbed correctly they will rival your Q2B as an additonal warning device.

Another caution. Due to the amount of air the the Stuttertone can consume you need to ensure these are tied into your secondary tank, and on a pressure protection system that will cut off the horns if your air pressure in the system drops below 80 psi or your going to be activiating your spring pods from a lack of pressure.

Thread Information