IACOJ - Proud member.

Default Commercial Chassis modifications

My department is currently working on refurbishing our current rescue truck. Part of the refurb work would be a Freightliner M2 chassis with the 26 extended cab.

One of the vendors were working with has proposed fabricating a compartment in the extended cab area. This compartment would require removing the rear bench seat, and creating opening on each side of the cab just behind the doors for access. It would have roll-up doors on both sides of the cab to access this compartment, along with a possible access door in the cab between the 2 bucket seats.

Heres where Im looking for info: Does anyone out there have a current chassis set-up like this? If so, Im looking for some measurements of the compartment (i.e. height of door opening, width of door opening, transversal width of compartment, and so on and so on), and possibly pictures of how other departments have set-up compartments like this.
    Anyone with Info can either send me a private e-mail or reply back on this forum.

Thanks all.
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Forum Member

Default Here are a few!

JJ,

Hopefully this is what you are looking for?

I cannot provide you exact dimensions, but what you describe is doable and I have seen it done before, but I do not have much. Hopefully an pwner of one may help a little more.

Stay safe and good fishing!

Fish
    Attached Images Attached Images  

IACOJ - Proud member.

That's exactly what we're looking at...

A picture is worth a 1000 words, you've helped to derscribe it better that I ever could

Anyone with measurments? anyone ? anyone ? Bueller ?

How about pros & cons of such a compartment ?
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

MembersZone Subscriber

I've seen this set-up on several trucks (on the web) and now that I need them, I can't lay my hands on a single one.
    Anyway - on to your questions.
    As far as measurements - your builder should be able to give you what they're proposing at least.
    You should also ask them for a list of other customers they have done this for & their contact information. Then call them about layouts & pro's and con's. What they like & what they would do different next time.

Pro/Con - all I can see is gaining more storage space at the loss of passenger space. Since this is a refurb, I'm assuming you will be reusing the existing box so the only real way to get more space would be to go into the cab like this.

I might suggest to make sure that you ether add sound dampening to the exterior (in cab) portion of this compartment or make sure that what ever you store in it is mounted securely - otherwise I can just envision all the creaks & rattles you'll have in the cab from vibrating tools.

Another though - if you may need or have use for a "Command Area" then you might want to consider doing that compartment only 2/3 high in the cab and then use the "roof" of the compartment as a command desk. Mount Radios, TV, etc. behind the drivers seat leaving the area on the passenger side clear as a work desk, then have a swiveling seat installed to allow the passenger seat to turn 90-180 degrees to the command desk.
    Only good for a Single IC but for most day to day jobs - it might work.

Anyhow - that part was mostly just thinking "aloud" as I type.

Good luck with the refurb. Be sure to come back w/ Pic's when you're all done. Us truck junkies love pics.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Try contacting the Gray,Maine Fire/Rescue.They are running one of these and I'm pretty sure they have someone there who could answer the question.T.C.

Thread Information