Thread: E-one

MembersZone Subscriber

Question E-one

As some on who never served on a committee for an apparatus order, I have to be up front and say I have no clue what its like dealing with any manafacturer. But thats not my question, my question is everyones opinions on E-one apparatus. We currently have two (sister)1998 E-one engines. We need to replace are 1978 Mack (as much as I wish we did not have too )While are other engines have run fine and worked well for us, it seems as if most on here feel e-one's quality or service has gone south. Just looking for some info on this matter as I would like to give a heads up to those who will be on a committee.

Forum Member

Going to Florida to buy a fire truck is like going to the Metrodome to watch football.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

I can't say good or bad about E-One since we do not have one.

What I can tell you is that our last truck, a 3000 gallon tanker was built by New Lexington and it is a great truck. Our sales rep was great to deal with and at this time we are working on specing a new engine. I am hoping for another New Lexington truck in our station. There websight is www.newlex-fire.com or if you would like to e-mail me personally it is firemanbrad27@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Our (2) E-One/Saulsbury Rescue/Engines have been in service for about 18 months now. Our trucks were being built while this whole Federal Signal/E-one/Saulsbury mess started. I can't say that the customer service was bad or that the product isn't as good. Our experience has been positive, which IMO has alot to do with our dealer.

Remember you can't always believe what you read online, what ones experience is with a manufacturer isn't going to be the same as the next person. If you have had positive experiences with E-One and seem satisfied with the trucks you have, why not buy them again?
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

MembersZone Subscriber

For every manufacturer of apparatus out there, you will find someone who has a unit built by them that was a lemon. I don't care who built it.

If your E-One dealer has treated your department well, that's Priority #1. If the trucks perform like they should, there's no reason not to buy from them provided they will build what you want at a price you're willing to pay. I seriously doubt E-One will go out of business soon, and even if they do, nothing on their units can't be fixed by someone else. How many Pirsch units still tool around? Someone is fixing the stuff.

We have an apparatus dealer here that has done such a crappy job on selling and making right a bunker gear order that he will never see an apparatus order from us. I don't care if he sells God's own fire engine.

The dealer, in my opinion, is 100% of making it right. THEY should be the ones to make sure that the truck is spec'd properly. THEY should be the ones to get on the manufacturer's *** if something comes up. THEY should be the ones at your station at o'dark thirty fixing your new engine for whatever problem is keeping it out of service. These are the folks that deserve your multi-hundred thousand dollar purchase order.
    Last edited by npfd801; 08-05-2004 at 01:52 AM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I agree with npfd801. Let me preface this whole statement with saying E-One is not my first choice. That being said, E-One is just like any other manufacturer: they all will have problems, they all will make mistakes. It is the local dealer that is supposed to be your advocate to make things right. If you can't work with them, then find another dealer and another manufacturer because the manufacturer probably won't let you deal with them directly.

We bought a couple of trucks off of someone else, and unbeknowest to us at the time, they did a couple of things not to spec. The dealer was on the ball, caught them, and had them changed. We wouldn't have known if he hadn't told us about them. That's customer service. Demand that from your dealer, and any manufacturer will perform. Remember that you are in charge, and if they try and convince you otherwise, just think how bad it will be after you get the truck. I'm not saying ignore them when they say something shouldn't be done for engineering or weight reasons. But at the same time, you need to be the one to build your truck and tell them what it needs to do, and what it needs on it. Have an idea about everything first, but see if they have any suggestions that other depts have done differently that may work better than what you want.

Definitely go visit the plant, visit some departments that just got new trucks (of any make) and talk to their people that spec'd it. See what worked, what didn't work, and see if there was anything they'd change now that they've been using it.

Good luck - Brian

We have had good luck with our E-One fire apparatus. As stated above the dealer plays a big role in that. If something is wrong with one of our trucks we can call them anytime and they will be on the ball the same day. If they don't have a part, they will have it overnighted and be there the next day to fix it. We also have a good relationship with the Pierce dealer in our area as well. We buy our extrication equipment from them and recieve excellent service. The quality of service that the dealers provide is an important thing when buying any piece of equipment. Even the best truck can have something go wrong. The important thing is how fast you can get that truck back in service and at what cost.

dazed and confused

DEALER DEALER DEALER

If you get screwed over every time you have an issue with the truck, you will wish you had picked another company.

Service after the sale is huge. Few trucks arrive 100% ready to rock and roll, without any problems or changes desired.

My department is well-versed in the run-around game, half-*****ed repairs, delays, repeated delays, etc.

It's getting better I think now that we have switched to an entirely different dealer.

But the puddle of hydraulic fluid under the truck is getting a little old.
    Last edited by Resq14; 08-08-2004 at 05:15 AM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

As my fellow contributors mentioned, it comes down to the DEALER. The factory is about 50% of it and the dealer 50%. Do your homework, spec what you need, hold them to YOUR spec and get what you want. Make sure the dealer understands what you expect and see how his previous service has been with other departments. Dealers rarely make overnight changes in their service no matter what they say and promise. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

I echo Resq14's comment about the dealer. Find out who the local reps are, contact departments who have bought trucks in the last 5 years from these reps and ask them how the service has been. We have 2 E-Ones' (actually one's a Saulsbury), one runs great and has had few problems (our fairly stock tower) the other has had one issue after another (our highly customized Saulsbury rescue pumper which is very simular to TCFD's rigs). No truck will be delivered w/o problems, its all about how quickly and painlessly the rep will fix them.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

MembersZone Subscriber

Our E1 trucks, and the service from the dealer (all american fire) has been great

we have a 93 pumper and a 94 pumper tanker, and they still look like new. Only thing that has been an issue is the #$#$%#%#% inverters.
    We put a generator in the truck giving us invertor problems and haven't looked back.

When we spec'd a new rescue pumper, however, we discovered that E1 seems to be on a bigger is better kick. They brought a demo. It was huuuuuuge. Nice truck. Saw some things we spec'd onto another truck. But when we took a look at cab options, it was Big and Bigger. Didn't fit the footprint we were looking at. If we were replacing the front line engine we would look very hard at another E1. (with cafs )

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless you have an unusual situation, you will have to go out for bid. Unless you are in a state like Ohio, which has state bid but allows for quite a few "options" on state bid purchase trucks.

You need to determine the size of the truck, cab type (commercial or custom), price range and go from there. Look at demo's from as many companies as possible. during bid/selection you should give more credit to companies whose trucks you have demo'd. Look at it this way, if they can't bring you a demo, will they be able to produce a loaner if your truck grenades before the warranty is up? If you look only at ads and catalogs, everyone makes the bestest, safest truck. You don't buy a new car without test driving a similar one, do you? Don't buy you're communities fire truck without a test drive.

Thread Information