Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default RIT Equipment Location

Help!!! I need a little assistance. A while back there was a discussion regarding RIT equipment placement on a rig. Somewhere along the way the discussion evolved into the fact that some depts label the exterior door of the compartment where their RIT gear is kept. In the year+ that our RIT has been in operation, I have caught a couple of complaints from guys saying that it was inefficient to go to 3 or 4 different compartments to gather the tools they needed.

With about another nights work I will be finished relocating and re-mounting RIT equipment into 1 compartment with the exception of the saws which are in the compartment directly next to the RIT compartment and AREN'T moving since everyone knows that compartment is all saws and nothing else. While I sympathized with running around the truck gathering the equipment, I think you can stand at 2 doors that are next to each other and get your gear.

What I am looking for is, for those of you who did it, what did you use to label the compartment door? Reflective letters, etc??

our dept. has a list of equipment that we require the RIT to have on scene and out onto a tarp. the list is located on the accountability board in which pretty much almost empties the eng. not the entire thing but, alot of the essential equipment we feel is nessecary to be able to do the job and hopefulkly do it right.
    Some of us are Leaders and some are Followers...get out of the way cause im taking the Knob!

www.westmead2.com

MembersZone Subscriber

WE have a RIT sticker on the door where the kit itself is. If the Team needs irons, saws, TIC, or other equipment they will have to go to compartment and get those tools. I think it would be difficult to have all the tools you needed in one place.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

If you have to run all over to get RIT equipment, what is it like when the crew does their normal firefighting duties? The equipment should always be grouped according to function and the users riding location. Basic firefighting tools can be augmented with just a few other items that can be stored nearby for a RIT response

We assign a specific engine (or engines depending on the size of the call) to RIT, and the gear then is pulled from the rig and staged on a salvage cover near the IC. As dwwm2c4 said, this pretty much empties the rig.

Usually its the 2nd or 3rd due engine which is assigned to RIT (if the truck rolls, 2nd due...if the truck doesn't roll, 2nd due functions as the truck company and 3rd due is RIT). If its a major incident, we call for mutual aid, and depending on the number of entry teams, additional engines will be assigned to RIT.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's ours. All the RIT equipment is in a large bag inside. Reflective lettering.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

what's the problem? last I checked, RIT wasn't done the moment you arrive on scene. meaning, you don't arrive on scene and immediately rescue a downed firefighter. people complain about 3 or 4 different compartments? aren't you supposed to have at least 4 guys on the RIT team? y can't each of them grab a piece of equipment and put it on the tarp ready to go to work?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Default From Calif...

From the City of San Jose, CA Fire Department. They like this.
    On a personal note, I am not too sure of having it right near
    the Engineer's compartment since they keep thier "Engineer
    stuff" there.

Another side note- Thier units are no longer lime.

-Bou

I'm really curious what people are using for equipment for the RIT/RIC/FAST (whatever) team. SOME of my equipment fits in a compartment, some is too long (8' steel hook for example). We have 2 spare SCBA, chain saw, K12 saw, rope bags, irons, TIC, 8' hook, etc.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    I'm really curious what people are using for equipment for the RIT/RIC/FAST (whatever) team. SOME of my equipment fits in a compartment, some is too long (8' steel hook for example). We have 2 spare SCBA, chain saw, K12 saw, rope bags, irons, TIC, 8' hook, etc.
    I guess I shouldn't have said "all" of our stuff is in a bag in that compartment, just the stuff that is exclusively for RIT: rope bags, RIT SCBA, hand tools and a small TNT tool. We keep that in the bag with a seal lock on it so it is there when needed and doesn't get used for something else and not put back in the bag.

The other stuff like TIC, saws, 6' hook, folding attic ladder, etc. are in different locations. We made a rail system for our stokes over our 3" hose bed. We put the RIT bag and all the other stuff in the stokes and carry it to staging.

The main reason the compartment is labled RIT is so if a different department is assigned on one of our fires they can go to our engine and get our MSA RIT SCBA. It's part of the Monroe County MI Firefighters Association RIT SOG. Every department has pretty much the same RIT bag and keeps it in a marked compartment on their first out engine.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Originally posted by DrParasite
    what's the problem? last I checked, RIT wasn't done the moment you arrive on scene. meaning, you don't arrive on scene and immediately rescue a downed firefighter. people complain about 3 or 4 different compartments? aren't you supposed to have at least 4 guys on the RIT team? y can't each of them grab a piece of equipment and put it on the tarp ready to go to work?
    Last I checked, in my area it could be the moment you arrive since we handle RIT through a mutual aid agreement. Most depts wait to get on location to confirm a working fire before requesting you so you are coming in behind the 8-ball since you have crews already inside working and potentially at risk. Now they will have their 2-in/2-out but the 2 out are generally just two guys in full PPE no special or extra tools. I'm not saying this is right, but it is what we have to deal with so I am trying to find some increased efficiency when arriving on scene.

We actually purchased some extra 'everyday' tools plus some RIT specific(MSA rescue bottle, etc) so we try to keep it all together, obviously like some others said, not ALL of it can fit... pike poles, stokes basket, etc stay in their regular homes. What I am trying to do is reduce it a little bit by having one compartment for ALL of the smaller stuff then you gather the big stuff that isn't as easy to forget in a rush.

FFTrainer, our RIT/RIC team is also a mutual aid company. However, we dispatch them on reported structures, we don't wait for confirmation. It's easier to cancel them if not needed. But, that had to be worked out between them and us, it may not work for everyone. We also provide it to mutual aid companies so all the equipment that is on our truck is available for the team. From our dispatch to them being on scene is usually 7 minutes.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Bones - I have one neighboring dept that does the same as you say, and that is the way I would prefer it, but most of the chief's around here are so hung up on hearing themselves bark out orders on the radio that they want to be the one who requests it -- now you see, you got me aggravated again Now I have to go back to watching the Mets game and that is bound to be additional aggravation... thanks!

Thread Information