Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Random drug testing

Lately there has been some serious discussion within the department I'm on about random drug testing for all members. I'm for it personally but there are members who have stated that they will quit if it is required. My thought is that if you have nothing to hide then why sweat it. The way it is proposed would be entirely random, a number drawn between 0-9, and if it matches the last number of your ssan number then you fill a bottle. Does anyone have a system like this in place and if so what issues have came up as a result of it. This is a all volunteer department with only the Chief as full-time paid.

former FH.com member

Thumbs up

My Dept. recently began a random drug testing program and I have to say I'm all for it. Right now it's kind of in limbo as the Union (which wholeheartedly endorses the idea) and the City work out the specifics, ie. how to randomly select the tested subjects, punishments for violation etc. I'm sure once all is agreed upon the program will be here to stay...much to the benefit of the Department and it's members.

Ive been exposed to randon testing since being hired here 9 years ago. Just last shift my parnter had to go in for testing. Whats the big deal, if your in this line of work you had better be clean or theyll find you and get rid of you at least that is the hope of all of us straight liners.

There have been guys here that get tested it seems on a regular basis, so I question the real randomivity of it all but these guys that seem to be in great shape body builder types always seem to get randomly selected.

Lucky me, ive never been selected for it, but then again I just said it so now as soon as I get back on shift I am sure I will be picked for it now.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Forum Member

The only time we are tested is during our scheduled physicals and if you are in an accident driving a department vehicle.

If you have nothing to hide what's the big deal. I'd like to be sure the people responsible for my life are clean.

I support it 100%. I want my department to start.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Seems to me a bit of overkill, spend the money elsewhere.

Test when there is a suspicion or incident such as injury.

I don't want to work with dope heads or crack heads period. Keep them off the job; plain and simple. Random drug screens, if done properly and fairly is an outstanding tool for this.

I personally am all for it, However I have never been on a department that has done random testing. You are tested only when involved in an accident. I personally wish that some of them would institute alcohol testing but that is another story

Default Where do I ******?

BRING IT ON, I SAY! If you have nothing to hide, why worry? I do not do drugs, I have nothing to hide! Give me the pee cup! For those who say they will quit if random drug testing is enacted, DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ***!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

We have random drug and alcohol testing, also just recently instituted testing if involved in a vehicle accident. The policy is done for all county employees, not just the fire dept. so far its "weeded" out (pun intended) a few bad apples. So I am all in favor.

Forum Member

I'm all for the testing. There is also a side issue here. PEE POOL!! Get as many as you can on your shift to throw in a buck every payday. Then, whoever gets randomly selected (probable cause testing in the event of a large PEE POOL does not qualify) to go pee gets the money!!!
    We will bet on which way a car in front of the engine will turn when we are behind them at a 4-way stop.....

Forum Member

Originally posted by Scottish
    Seems to me a bit of overkill, spend the money elsewhere.

Test when there is a suspicion or incident such as injury.
    It might be alittle too late if there is an injury, I belive in prevention. Prevent incidents and injurys as much as you can. With the last few wrecks(dui) I feel that it is money well spent.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Thread Information