Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ISI products

Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    Was at FDIC a few years ago, when Scott came out with the Scott50. I heard they had a "new" pack and I went by to see it. The guy at the booth said the only "new" item in it was the "disconnecting" regulator. He kept calling it the Dayton Ohio Union Issue. He went on to explain that the union in contract negotiations asked for and got detaching regulators issued to each person with a mask.

I later found out MSA had gotten a OSHA interpretation letter

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ONS&p_id=22641

The letter is a direct attack on Scott. All SCBA have a cross contamination issue, MSA included. To prove my point, my dept recently purchased SCBA and in MSA's demo I asked the question of cross contamination and was told, specifically not. My response question was then why in the product build sheet is the option for a detachable regulator "for those departments worried about cross contamination". Page 11. If there is no possibility, then why offer it? After the demo the guy told my chief I was correct but he just had to give an official answer.

There is the Lawsuit started in 07 against Scott and Fisher Scientific (I think) in Miami Dade

There is the case of Surprise Air with its new name in St Louis that caused one of the more drastic changes in the 2007 changes

San Antonio with the Interspiro issue

All of them have their problems. If you could take ideas from each and put them all together you could have a great scba
    Same goes for_____ Fire trucks. If you could take the best features of everyones rig,you'd have a hell of a vehicle. I still contend that Scott is the best VALUE in scba,long term. And there are MULTIPLE ways to deal with "cross contamination". T.C.

While you may have a low cost of ownership for maintenance, ours will be higher (in some areas). You or others in your department are certified to maintain the air packs. We do not have anyone with that certification, or time/ability to get it. The packs are supposed to be inspected by a technician yearly. There is an added cost for us. Our dealer for ISI is going to provide this support to us free of charge (in the cost of purchase like everything else). While we will only have 11 packs, battery changes every 6 months will add about $200/year on a standard air pack or about $300/year with voice amplifier. We are getting free batteries every 6 months for the first 10 years with our packs. Together, this will total around $1,000 a year in maintenance savings for us for the first 10 years. This may not seem like a lot to you, but it is 5% of our yearly budget after utility bills. To my department, that is a big difference that had to weigh in on our choice.

Again, this points out the big difference between our departments. Ours will get used less in the life of them than yours do in one year. Parts and wear will not be anywhere near the same between what we get and what you would use.

If you are trying out new equipment as trials and really giving them an honest chance, but you go back to what you have, that is fine. My problem is when someone tries a product out already "knowing" that what they currrently use is better.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    While you may have a low cost of ownership for maintenance, ours will be higher (in some areas). You or others in your department are certified to maintain the air packs. We do not have anyone with that certification, or time/ability to get it. The packs are supposed to be inspected by a technician yearly. There is an added cost for us. Our dealer for ISI is going to provide this support to us free of charge (in the cost of purchase like everything else). While we will only have 11 packs, battery changes every 6 months will add about $200/year on a standard air pack or about $300/year with voice amplifier. We are getting free batteries every 6 months for the first 10 years with our packs. Together, this will total around $1,000 a year in maintenance savings for us for the first 10 years. This may not seem like a lot to you, but it is 5% of our yearly budget after utility bills. To my department, that is a big difference that had to weigh in on our choice.

Again, this points out the big difference between our departments. Ours will get used less in the life of them than yours do in one year. Parts and wear will not be anywhere near the same between what we get and what you would use.

If you are trying out new equipment as trials and really giving them an honest chance, but you go back to what you have, that is fine. My problem is when someone tries a product out already "knowing" that what they currrently use is better.
    Same goes for making a thirty year commitment on a two/few day trial. Newer ain't ALWAYS better. I've outlined our SOLID reasons for being where we are. Which I CAN back up with hard numbers. YOU won't have ANY of that for 5-10 years IF you can then, Our packs do 400 runs a year plus training hrs. From year to year I can ACCURATELY predict my annual upkeep costs within just a few $. Like I said earlier,best of luck with your purchase. But there IS a reason high use depts stay with Scott, whether or not you care to understand why is up to you. T.C.

Thread Information