Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ISI products

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Default ISI products

Just looking for some opinions on ISI products, specificaly the:

-Viking SCBA. Nobody in our area has them, they seem to have a lot of features, they are mcuh more afordable them most other SCBAs, heard bad things about their regualtor set up.

-Navigator Thermal IMager. Some of the price quotes on these are very afordable. We have a MSA 5000 which is great, but for the price quotes I have seen we could have gotten almost 3 Navigators for the same price. Does this TIC have any glaring flaws?

ISI has no presence in our area what so ever. They seem to be on the cutting edge technology. They also seem like the bargan import SUV, sort of like a KIA sportage Vs. Expeditions (Scott SCBA or some such thing).

Thanks

http://www.intsafety.com/
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

I'm too lazy to hammer out the details again, but you can find my opinions here, here, and here . Some good discussion on the subject can also be found here.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

One word.......:Crap

At the fire chiefs show I tried on the best they had to offer pack. It fits real bad. The man couldnt answer many questions.
    Regualtor is a odd ball and is not my favorite design.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Got it, Viking SCBA is way down the list, which IMO goes like this, top to bottom:

Scott NXG2
    Scott AP50 tied with Drager PSS100
    MSA Whatcha call its, Firehawk???
    Surviveair Last of the "servicable" packs

And fighting for last place...

Ciarns, Interspiro, ISI.

Lets forget about the SCBAs for a minute.

What about the TIC?

Navigator Digital TIC? Anybody use this yet, specificaly how does it comapair with the MSA 5000. Where in general to the TIC world? Is it a "servicable" and effective unit?

Thanks
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

I used to work for an agency that used an ISI TIC. Before we bought it, it was a "Highly durable piece of technology," or so the sales rep said. After we bought it, it magically became a "sensitive piece of technical equipment."

If you bumped it ever so slightly, it would flicker, and the screen would turn grey. We sent it in several times for repairs, but the problem persisted. I learned a valuable lesson when it failed on me in the middle of a fire- feeling cocky because I had the camera, I chose not to keep in contact with the wall, and soon found myself lost when the screen went blank.

Maybe we just got a bad camera, or maybe they're all junk.

Default ISI Viking

The county next to us just went through and bought all new packs and spare bottles for every dept. in the county. My parents and my brother are on one of those dept. They have not had any complaints yet about the packs. I personally do not like the regulator setup but overall I think it is a nice pack.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." -Benjamin franklin

"There is nothing wrong with America that can not be cured with what is right with America" -Henry Clay

Forum Member

Default ISI Vikings

We have the ISI Viking packs. It took us forever and a day to get them, and when we did, the PASS alarms would activate by themselves just sitting in the truck. We figured out that evertime anyone keyed up a radio, the packs would turn on, and since they were just sitting there, the PASS alarm would activate. Had to send them all back to the manufacturer because the thing was not shielded, and the radio frequency would interfere. Although they have all been sent back and returned, there is still one or two that still turn on with the keying of the radio.

Other than that, they are comfortable to wear and seem to work well for breathing air.

Default Yo...

If they are not in your area, there is a good reason
    why- crap.

I believe in buying good stuff now vs. repairing
    cheaper stuff down the line.

SCBAs are not an item to go cheap on. Scott makes
    the best for a reason.

Looking at ISI's ad, I still think of "cheap".

Sorry bro, I dont mean to be negative...Bou

I have seen people on the poorest departments in the state turn down free ISI's

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES
    Got it, Viking SCBA is way down the list, which IMO goes like this, top to bottom:

Scott NXG2
    Scott AP50 tied with Drager PSS100
    MSA Whatcha call its, Firehawk???
    Surviveair Last of the "servicable" packs

And fighting for last place...

Ciarns, Interspiro, ISI.

Thanks
    You can add North to that list.

Before we upgraded to the Scott 4.5's about 15 years ago, all of the company reps brought in their "newest, high tech" SCBA units.

The ISI rep brought what was called the Ranger at the time. It was not exactly what one would call "firefighter friendly".
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

The ISI rep brought what was called the Ranger at the time. It was not exactly what one would call "firefighter friendly".
    Now that's an understatement!

Forum Member

We have over 200 ISI Viking air packs and have been very happy with them. We have had them for 3+ years. They are far ahead of the others in the electronics. We have the heads up display and had them before the NFPA standard required it.

We spent over $800K on this purchase and we would do it again.
    Lt. Dan

Also we have to remember that everyone is going to have thier own opinion and they will defend it no matter what. I personally swear by Survivair. A lot of people swear by Scott. I think the scott packs are awkward and heavy, But that is just my opinion

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Originally posted by Druxus
    Also we have to remember that everyone is going to have thier own opinion and they will defend it no matter what. I personally swear by Survivair. A lot of people swear by Scott. I think the scott packs are awkward and heavy, But that is just my opinion
    That's a fair point. There is more to purchasing a product than just the design of the product (at least talking SCBA and TI). User interface, reliability, durability, ease of maintenance, ease of use, features, compatibility with FD operations, training, support, service, distributor support and service, and cost. All of these together formulate the VALUE of a product.

VALUE and COST are not the same thing. Cost is just a portion of total value. That's why even cities that go "low bid" still buy VALUE because the low bid must meet certain specifications (the better written, the better value).

As with most things in life, if you buy SOLELY on cost, you will probably be disappointed.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Cool I'm overloaded

My Scott at 13 pounds is heavy? I must have missed something somewhere.I think my coats and pants weigh more than that.Nobody around here uses ISI and there isn't a lot of Surprise-air either.T.C.

We had Scott's, went to ISI Vikings. Did not like and had some scary moments due to their low air whistle and it's lack of interaction with water. We went from the ISI's to Survivair and have not looked back. Guys near us that try the Survivairs like them better, but since there are so many Scott's around, no one is changing to them. In fact, we are looking at changing to Scott's to stay "compatible" with all our neighbors. Makes it a little easier on our FAST companies to have us use similar equipment. If I had my choice, I'd stick with the Surivairs, but to stay "nice" with our neighbors, we'll probably switch to Scott 4.5's.

Only time I have ever seen the ISI cameras was at trade shows. No real comment either way.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Angry Batteries!!!!! ISI VIKING Z7

Anybody have problems with the batteries dying prematurely WE are a small vol. dept. -- have 13 Z7's the 14 AA batteries die in 40-60 days, even without use..... WE ARE ****ED!! Just wondering if anyone else is having problems

MembersZone Subscriber

WE have 4 ISI Z's and love them. We wouldn't use anything else. As far as batteries we have 2 that have had batteries in the for over 2 yrs and still work fine. Yes this reminded me I need to change them. That will be tomorrows project lol. As for SCOTT we hated the Scott 2.2 and 50's You couldn't give me a Scott.
    Last edited by volfireman034; 08-18-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by elkc2 View Post
    Anybody have problems with the batteries dying prematurely WE are a small vol. dept. -- have 13 Z7's the 14 AA batteries die in 40-60 days, even without use..... WE ARE ****ED!! Just wondering if anyone else is having problems
    Did you call your rep and ask about the c-cell option?
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?Ē (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

We have 11 ISI V7's coming Monday. We went through a trial with SCott, MSA, Draeger, and ISI. In the end, ISI and Draeger just about tied for first with Scott and MSA being well behind.

We liked the voice amplifier, battery pack (with the C cells), air switch, and the visibility. I personally liked the Draeger more, but I would take either over a Scott or MSA. I haven't seen any real innovation out of either comany in a long time. (Remember that the new flat pack is a funded project, and MSA is not risking anything) Draeger and ISI have been completely revamping their packs on their own dime to stay current or even ahead of the times.

Thread Information