Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question A/B Combination Foam

We have a direct injection foam system with 15 gallon Class A and 35 gallon Class B tank, and are currently using both types of foam. We have been hearing about the combination foams that you can use on class A type fires as well as flammible liquid fires and would like some feedback on the pros and cons of this type foam vs. straight Class A and Class B foam. It would be nice to have 50 gallons of the same type foam but are concerned especially about the effectiveness of this foam on Class B fires.

the product your reffering about is not really a foam but an emuslifier, generally used at higher rates also and at a substantial cost increase.
    Class A Foam about .3%
    Class A emulsifier 1%

Class B non AR fire 3%
    Class B AR 6%
    which is about the same for the emusifier

how ever look at the cost.
    Class A foam will cost about $3 per 100 gallons of water $10 to 12 per gallon of concentrate
    the emusifier costs a lot more about $40 per 100 gallons of water About $40 per gallon of concentrate.

An Class B A4P or AR at 6% will run $120 per 100 gallons of water used
    or $20 per gallon.

The emulsifier at 6% will run you an amazin $240 per 100 gallons of water. again at $40 per gallon.

Don't get me wrong this is great stuff and used all over the oilpatch as is has vapor suppresion quailities that are second to none. But the oilpatch bills back these costs at a massive margin. For the average Fire Dept the cost of this is just to much.

Again these are my own personal opinions and observations.

Forum Member
    www.gvfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink A/B foam

Thanks for the information. The product CAPN22 replied about seems a little spendy but I appreciate the info, it's a start. The Ambush product seems to be hitting closer to what we are looking for, thanks for the info ScottCook. If anyone else is using something similar please let us know. I'll keep researching on my end and share what I find.

MembersZone Subscriber

A department in our area has been using this for approximately 6 months and is having good results for class A fires anyway. They haven't had a chance to use it for flammable liquid fires yet. (imagine that)

Ok, I have tried and failed to get the link for this site on here so someone will have to tell computer illiterate how to do this. The site is www.fireadesource.com

Well it did work afterall. The price for this in a 5 gallon bucket is $115.00
    Last edited by GardenCityFire; 09-27-2004 at 06:29 PM.

We used Fireade in a recent CAF training we put on.

It does work ok. For CAF use it is run at a comparatively high percentage compared to typical class A's. You eat through the stuff pretttttty fast, and it is not cheap.

For small class B fires, want to know what beat out Fireade, class A foam, and class A CAF? An APW extinguisher with a small amount of AFFF.

There is a lot of advertising with Fireade concerning how "fast" it "cools." We did several burns with vehicles, pallets, etc... and I have to say I did not notice a difference between class A CAF and this product used in CAF.

I don't want to bad-mouth Fireade... they were very generous in allowing us to demo the product, and were knowledgeable about it. I just didn't feel like it was superior to its alternatives, especially given the cost. There are additional pros to Fireade that I have not mentioned, so check them out: http://www.fireadesource.com/fire-departments.html
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Default FireAde 2000

look at some videos on youtube.com to see the difference.

20 plus videos posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHGop8Myuz0

Forum Member

Default FireAde

Resq14

It sounds like you ran the FireAde product at 3% or 6% not at a recommended .10% to .25% in the CAF.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

massfire...

Your credibility is SHOT. GO AWAY.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Default foam

dig a hole in the sand and put your head in it. oh. its already there.

MembersZone Subscriber

massfire stands for MASS Advertising. Get a life dude.

T.J.

Forum Member

Default Foam

remthedays

how much do i owe you for the couch session?

It's free if you leave now.

Forum Member

Default foam

you just might have a sense of humor

Our engine (Husky 12 system) has a 25 gal. A cell and 40 gal. B cell. We are using F-500 in the A cell with remarkably good results so far. We know it is not a "true" class A foam but we were interested in it's other properties as well. The B cell has AR-AFFF for those situations it is needed. The videos of this product at work can be seen at http://www.hct-world.com

Thread Information