Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Revolving Fire Truck Loan

Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich today announced that 63 fire departments and fire districts will receive no-interest loans to purchase fire trucks under the state’s new Revolving Fire Truck Loan Program.

“It’s critical that our local fire departments and districts have the best equipment and vehicles available as they work to protect the citizens of Illinois,” Gov. Blagojevich said. “I’m very pleased that we can help these front-line responders get the fire trucks they need through this new program.”

The Fire Truck Revolving Loan Program, administered by the Office of the State Fire Marshal, provides no-interest, 20-year loans to local fire departments and fire protection districts for the purchase of fire trucks. The maximum loan award is $250,000.

More than 230 loan applications were submitted earlier this spring for consideration. A nine-member review committee comprising representatives of the banking industry and the fire services made the selections based on need.

State Fire Marshal J.T. Somer said the new program is a tremendous opportunity for local fire departments and districts to purchase much-needed fire trucks without assuming a large financial burden. “Obviously, these trucks are very expensive, and we are glad to be able to help lessen the financial burden through these no-interest loans.”

Somer also expressed gratitude for the review committee members for their “tireless work” reviewing the many applications.

The loan program was created by Public Act 93-0035, signed by the governor on June 24, 2003.

A list of loan recipients and their loan amounts is attached.

The first 60 are listed here

http://www.state.il.us/osfm/News/OSF...ngLoanFund.htm
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Without knowing all of the particulars, I couldn't help but notice that Henry, Knox, Warren and Rock Island counties were shut out.
    I see a department that was approved for $5000. For a fire truck?
    Does it have a cab?
    Let's see; that's $250 a year for twenty years. Yeah; I know. They are probably on a 5 year re-payment plan. I was being ornery.
    Congratulations to the successful applicants.
    Will wait for the next app period.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

CR, I know the dept. that got the 5k, they're my neighbors. I don't know what they're getting, but they're a new district, only 2 years of tax money so they got about nothing the first year, and then the .3 tax rate went into effect. I would imagine they're getting a used truck of some sort and that's about all they can afford. These guys survived for years on donations, without any tax help at all. They're a great bunch of guys that have worked their tails off over the years. There are a couple of others on the list that I would question. But the recipients did have to be able to repay the loans. I think they got distributed pretty even throughout the state. JT did say that there were a couple areas that had no applications. Maybe that's the area you refer to.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Again; without knowing the other's situation, I can tell you that I am very familiar with one department from Henry County who applied. And their ability to re-pay and their NEED. That "need" thing is troubling. We never seem to get on the same page with that word and the committee that decides it for us.
    I am not bitter; I am disappointed and especially when I see people on the list who are also successful FIRE Act grant recipients.
    Jack; I love hearing stories like the one you told. Departments like that have my heartfelt admiration and respect. I am guessing that someone made them a helluva deal on a used piece.
    Hats off to the fire marshal, committee and successful departments.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing that JT told us in Salem was that they really need to address the depts. that have the "need" but do not have the "ability" to repay. Grants are the only way, except for the equipment exchange program which needs to be used more by both donors and recipients. It's be interesting to know how many apps got rejected because of their inability to repay the loan.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Default Program prerequisite

Maybe as a part of receiving funds from this program it could be worked out where the departments receiving loans do something like passing on the apparatus being replaced(depending on condition, of course,) to departments that could not take part in this program due to the repayment problem? And why not,in cases of severe need,(which we know there are,) make the money available in the form of grants, or are they leaving that to the Feds only?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Congratulations, Blake

I do want to congratulate the Patoka Fire District for getting a no-interest loan. I know they've been looking forward to replacing a truck and now they can. What have you got to say about that, Chief?
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know the status of the revolving loan program? Will new applications be accepted?

MembersZone Subscriber

The program was re-authorized, but it is doubtful that there will be any new money. The last I heard, all that will be available is what was not distributed last year. When payments are made back in to the fund, another loan or two can be made. No new aps are being taken, they had plenty to choose from from the initial period and are simply going down the list. This info came straight from JT's mouth, unless of course I don't remember everything he said.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

I can tell that the Moffitt/Smith coalition are trying to get new money into the program, but with so much money going to Chicago cronyism, it is not looking good.
    And I don't think the repayment to the fund is going to happen at a rate that will let many departments apply each year.
    This program is going to need more money to stay viable.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

I can tell that the Moffitt/Smith coalition are trying to get new money into the program, but with so much money going to Chicago cronyism, it is not looking good.
    And I don't think the repayment to the fund is going to happen at a rate that will let many departments apply each year.
    This program is going to need more money to stay viable.
    How can that be, Art? Blago said he was a reformer. He said he was going to clean up state government. He said lots of things like that.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by jaybird210

He said lots of things like that.
    Yep, he sure has.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

How can that be, Art? Blago said he was a reformer. He said he was going to clean up state government. He said lots of things like that.
    Well, Jay; it's simple.
    We have a governor who is a conversationalist. He likes to talk alot, in front of the TV cameras, surrounded by his family. He believes that people in this state likes to see a family man in the Governor's Mansion. Did I say "Governor's Mansion"? I believe that it has been converted to a bed and breakfast, since the governor doesn't live there.
    Is he a "reformer" or simply someone who denies involvement, distances himself when his buddies are caught in yet another scandal and swears to clean up Illinois politics after every embarrassment to his term?
    Yeah; he talks alot and when he isn't busy raising state "fees", he is a raving little chatter box.
    Nice hair, though. Kinda reminds me of Bill Clinton.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Kinda reminds me of Bill Clinton.
    Anybody wanna lay odds? 2008? Or will he seek a second term?
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

He'll try a second time. Whether he'll make it remains to be seen.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Revolving loan

Has anyone on here recieved this loan? I was wondering when they are going to actually cut checks for the loans. Thanks!

If LaHood makes his announcement to run, he will smoke Blago in the election.
    I guarantee it.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

You think the state of Chicago would allow that?

Before anyone reads too deep into my comment, please note I'm only stating my opinion that we're all a minority when it comes to the voting preferences of the big city folk.

Heck, I'm still in shock that Rockford elected an independent for mayor.

MembersZone Subscriber

In reply to jake, I don't know if anybody has gotten a check yet. Last I heard they were all held up in one of the offices in the state. I know that a dept. down here hasn't gotten theirs yet but are expecting it any time.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Maybe we "State of Chicago" people should keep all our money in the 6 County region. Let the rest of the State fend for itself.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information