Forum Member

Default TIC's and water rescue

Today someone told me that you can use TIC's underwater with SCUBA SAR. Is it true that all TIC's are like this? I dont even know if its true, tying to find facts.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Go ask 200 if you can try it out with the MSA 4000
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

dazed and confused

hehe, that's a "no."

From the surface, water reflects thermal energy like glass, smooth metals, etc. Now if you have a warm body in cold water, then they'll stick out like a sore thumb... until their core temp cools to that of the water.

As I'm not aware of any models that are currently submersible... and even if they were, I can only speculate that the TIC would simply "white-out" or "blackout" to whatever the temperature of the water is directly at the lens. I'm pretty sure infrared energy can not be transmitted through water.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Resq14
    Now if you have a warm body in cold water, then they'll stick out like a sore thumb... until their core temp cools to that of the water.
    When we were evaluating TICs we asked the salesmen about this because we do quite a bit of water and ice rescues. We were told pretty much what you stated as long as the victim is above the surface of the water or ice. He stated that once they are submerged they will not be visible on the TIC's screen.

RFRD Explorer, sorry I was such a smart ***** with my first reply.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

dazed and confused

Ya, I should've been more specific... if the person is above the water. If submerged, unless a body is able to warm surface water enough to be detected by a TIC (unlikely), the TIC won't be able to detect it.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Protective Economist

Default Re: TIC's and water rescue

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer
    Today someone told me that you can use TIC's underwater with SCUBA SAR. Is it true that all TIC's are like this? I dont even know if its true, tying to find facts.
    The person who told you that is making stuff up.

The thermal energy generated by a person will NOT penetrate water...not even two inches worth of water. Your thermal imager sees surface temperatures, and the first surface temperature that it sees is that of the water.

As long as a portion of the person is above the water, he/she (or at least the body parts above water) will be visible to the TI. Once they go under, a TI will not assist in the rescue (or recovery).

The TI can be used, however, to scan a shoreline to determine if a person may have self-rescued from the water prior to the dive team's arrival.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

Moe, I think 200 will go for it.........

Forum Member

WTFD10 no problem. Sry, I forgot to check this thread after I posted it. I have a small feeling that he wouldn't let us do that. Thanks for the info guys, very helpful.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default TIC

JB,
    You stated that the TIC will see the temperature of the water. I was under the impression that it will be closer to the ambient air temperature, as it is reflected on the water?

Protective Economist

Default Re: TIC

Originally posted by SpokaneRep
    JB,
    You stated that the TIC will see the temperature of the water. I was under the impression that it will be closer to the ambient air temperature, as it is reflected on the water?
    Water is tricky...it has a temperature and a surface, so the TI wants to see that...but it is also reflective of other temperatures, so the sky can be reflected off of it to your TI (and deep space has no surface or temperature).

Air temperatures are NOT shown on a TI. Superheated or crygenic gases are exceptions, because they have emissivity. But in general, your TI will not care about ambient air. Ambient air temperatures are only important in that they influence the temperature of inanimate objects in an area...but that is the surface temperatures that your TI detects.

I hope that makes sense...if you need more explanation, let me know.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Thread Information