Thread: Amish FF's

Forum Member

Default Amish FF's

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

good, I'm not the only one who thought that was wierd.

picture #1 3 amish guys in straw hats and button down shirts on the nozzle as a firefighter in a white helmet and SCBA looks on

picture #3 at least 2 amish guys in straw hats and button down shirts pulling a 3 inch hoseline to an obviously burning building while a firefighter with a black helmet in SCBA watches.

probably more to the story than the photos show, but those amish guys seem to be doing a lot of work some guys in no gear and (I'm assuming have minimal official training).
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

There were Amish in the area where I went to college. Based on my experiences there, they would outwork and outhustle most other people. Probably took it upon themselves to step in and help. They never seemed to worry about OSHA, NFPA, etc, just worried there was a fire and didn't want it to spread. A farmer whose barn is on fire, with livestock in it, is not always an easy person to deal with.

And I was not there and I am not digging/busting on anyone.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Cap,

The question also arises is whether those "Nomex" straw hats should be replaced with tactical Tupperware straw hats or leather straw hat? Negotiations I hear are pending.

Seriously though, I highly doubt that you are going to see an Amish person suing over anything like this. A loss to one member of the community is prabably a loss to all members of the community. Extra help is extra help, a little close for my taste, at least set 'em up on the monitors out of any collapse zone for safety.

Then again, I am not going to argue with a few aggressive (no I don't mean that they are looking for a fight), eager to go Amish folks. They tend to be about 3 times my size.

While it is a loss for the farmer with the livestock and equipment, the barn will probably be rebuilt and done within a month or two. I am still amazed by the speed and skill with which these folks work.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up A Sense Of Duty To Help Their Fellow Man............

Or, something like that, was the caption to a photo accompanying a story on the Amish that ran in National Geographic some years back. The photo was of a pump operator at his post, several lines charged, and kickin hard. The young man that had mastered the operation of one of Hale's finest was clearly Amish, Straw Hat, Gray linen shirt, etc. AND a pair of Bunker Pants. The story was a blend of the Amish shunning technology to farm as they had for the past 200 years, but learning to live in the 20th century alongside everyone else. A tip of my helment to one group of people who truly believe "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you". I'm just sorry their work ethic can't be bottled and prescribed for the "English" as they refer to the rest of us.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

There are still many people in many places from many walks of life that refuse to stand around with the proverbial thumb up the bum...

God Bless Em.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

We have amish that are active memeber's of the volly fd here, and fight fire's, in the appropriate fire gear of course...We even have an amish that run's EMS with us...You'd be surprised of the amish that are on dept's....

Permanently Removed

Default Those dudes rock...

Curious- How come deck guns/monitors where not used?

Atleast the straw hats were there laying down the love.
    I have to give them props.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 08-10-2004 at 07:41 PM.

Forum Member

We have Amish within about a half-hour of where I live. I'll bet the barn remains are cleaned up by Friday and a new barn there inside of 2 weeks.

I had to laugh at the tactical straw hats too! You can't judge from a picture but I'd be willing to bet they saw a line laying around, grabbed on and headed to where they saw fire. They are not a people prone to standing around while outsiders do their work. "Grab that hose,Mose,it's got to be better than a bucket brigade?"

Forum Member

A couple of observations-

Dr. Parasite: Look closely at the photos you cited. In the first one, you can see a firefighter on the nozzle (barely see his helmet) behind the amish. He appears to be the one controlling the nozzle while the amish back him up.

On the photo with the amish pulling the hose . . . look at the ground between the amish and you will see the reflective trim of a firefighter's bunker pants. Still, it is clear the amish out number the firefighters in these photos.

CALFFBOU: Most barns of this type are not close enough to a good water supply to make good use of master streams. In cases like this, we always focused on making sure that everything fell in so that no one would be hurt and the debris could burn up thereby reducing demolition costs.

Finally, flathead is absolutely correct. The site will be cleaned up as soon as it cools down and a new barn will be erected very quickly. This is especially true for this time of year with harvest coming within the next month or so. (Note to Weruj1: Isn't it amazing how quickly things can be rebuilt when you don't have to deal with insurance companies. Maybe the amish are onto something.)

Also, note the comment about the generator and fuel in the barn. There are many degrees of amish, but I've found it very common for amish farmers to have generators in their barns along with large supplies of diesel fuel. Just something else to consider.

Permanently Removed

Default Thanks...

HM604OH- Thanks for the quick feedback. It was educational.

-Bou

IACOJ BOD

Hey Cap!

If they are Voli's does that make them Amishteurs?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Alright now, no more "jokes" for you.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Originally posted by HM604OH
    A couple of observations-

Dr. Parasite: Look closely at the photos you cited. In the first one, you can see a firefighter on the nozzle (barely see his helmet) behind the amish. He appears to be the one controlling the nozzle while the amish back him up.

On the photo with the amish pulling the hose . . . look at the ground between the amish and you will see the reflective trim of a firefighter's bunker pants. Still, it is clear the amish out number the firefighters in these photos.
    actually, I thought that was what I saw, but wasn't sure, so i didn't mention it.

and please don't take my previous post as a knock on the amish, as that was not it's intent. I would just htink that if they were going to be on the nozzle, they should have proper PPE (helmets and coats, minimum), even if it is only temporarily lent to them from another FF. but def cudos to the amish for willing to help out and assist.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Interesting how we give Kudos and Well Done's to the Amish for helping out, but in Cellblock's area he gets chastised for letting people help...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking A Natural Result.................

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    Hey Cap!

Just the response that you would expect from someone who lives upside down.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Early Adopter

Originally posted by Bones42
    Interesting how we give Kudos and Well Done's to the Amish for helping out, but in Cellblock's area he gets chastised for letting people help...
    Excellent point. I've seen people pick photos apart on this and other firefighter boards when members weren't wearing full PPE. These Amish guys were wearing NO PPE and we're giving them a pat on the back for being willing to help.\

As for DrParasite's post, I think everyone engaged in fireground operations needs to be wearing their PPE -- not just the people on the nozzle. Also, what sense would it make if a firefighter loaned his gear to one of the Amish guys as you suggest? Why not let the firefighter keep his bunker gear on and do the job that the untrained & ill-equipped farmer is doing for him?

Forum Member

The Amish in that area as most are a tight knit lot.As was mentioned when one is in trouble the rest nearby turn out to help.Had the Fire dept not been there you would have seen the Amish with a bucket brigade dealing with the fire.They are an industrious folk,not afraid of a days work.As far as the danger of building collapse;well let's just say the Amish have been building(raising)buildings for a long time.For years they cut their own logs,milled the necessary appertures,and erected the structure.Within their "village"they probably are as knowledgeable in building construction as anyone you care to meet.I've spent some time in Lancaster county and while the Amish aren't too outspoken,they will discuss their ways with an "English"if they sense you are truly interested in their way.As was spoken earlier,shortly there will be a barn raiser and a new structure will replace the burned one.And one thing is for certain,they prepare a fine meal.T.C.

Forum Member

Bones, you made a good point.

Although, I don't think you'd be able to stop those folks from helping out......

I was in Lancaster county and we had passed an accident and 1000yds from the accident we saw amish firefighter on a scooter with a basket in the front with turnout gear.

Forum Member

Default One thing is for sure, they do love their fellow man

The Amish and Menonite "people" are both some of the kindest and helpful groups that you will ever find. A few years ago my girlfriends family was unfortunate enough to have a large structure fire in their home. Within 30 minutes of the FD responding both groups had already brought food and coffe for her family and the firefighters on scene. They remained at the scene till after all FFs cleared and all of them offered up their own homes for my girlfriends family to stay in. Within 3 days many of them stopped back by bringing newly made quilts, blankets and even clothes for her family. These acts of kindness are a few of the most heartfelt that I've ever heard of.

No matter what any would ever say about these two groups of people I do believe that they are the most kind hearted in the world.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

When I visited Lancaster County (PA), we went on a guided tour of Amish country given by an Amish woman who had been "excommunicated" so to speak (she beleived in technology...still very well liked though..she was a teacher in the local Amish school so she knew EVERYBODY)...my buddy & I (both vollies) inquired if the Amish could be vollies & she said yes that many are, that most of the local FC's had Amish members (some were primarily Amish) and that they were able to do the same job, about the only stipulation was they couldn't drive (although some do depending on how "orthodox" they are).

With the guys in the picture, my guess is they were civilians who lent a hand...as was explained to us, the Amish live in a true community where EVERYONE helps EVERYONE else. Just like someone else posted, that barn was probably rebuilt in a short period of time because the entire community comes together and supports those in need. Plus the fact that that barn holds the "lifeblood" of their existence for both food & business, I'm sure these guys were quick to help to save that was their fellow community member's property & livelyhood.

I think it's a great concept of the community coming together..unfortunately in our daily world of worry about yourself first, that concept only surfaces when there is a massive tragedy
    (i.e. 9/11). I applaud these guys serve their communities while putting aside their strong beliefs regarding technology...guess you won't see an Amish FF carrying the thermal imager, eh?

That's my 2 cents..Stay Safe...

I'll have to get some pictures for ya to see...There are several volunteer fire companies here in Centre County (Pa.) with "Hitching Posts" next to the station.
    The work ethics of the Amish are unequaled! You haven't seen anything until you've seen a barn raising!

Thread Information