Unhappy Any Suggestions? Please!

I've written a few other threads about my post, however, I'm beginning to get desperate. The post is over a year old, we've got about 6 members. Of these 6, less than half of them you know will show up if at all possible. Three of us are able to ride out, I'm one of them.

We have also changed advisors, the post was orginally started by a retired asst. chief and then handed over to the FD's Division Chief over Public Education. This chief seldomly shows up to our meetings, because he gets paid hourly and can't get overtime to go. I have gone to him many times with ideas of classes, fundraisers, competitions, etc. for our post, we even had a meeting for this discussion. After the meeting, nothing happened. Other explorers and I have asked him what needs to be done so that we are able to start going to competitions, etc. He never really answers the question, it's always that something needs to be done first, after its been done, it's the same answer. Our other assistant advisor is a Reserve with the FD, he's a wonderful advisor, he can only go so far though. (A reserve is similar as the explorers for people over 18, they run rehab and the support units of the Fire Department. They aren't certified firefighters).

I have had the opportunity to visit other explorer posts (one in florida and a police post). There's a big difference in the way that they are ran. The biggest is that the advisors are involved a lot more with the post.

Does anyone have an idea of what can be done to keep our post from dwindling down the drain? I have tried talking to our Advisor about this, but am getting no where. As well as, How do we get more people, interested without scaring them off first, from lack of hands on learning?

Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Whitney

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I feel bad for you man...

Hey listen you really got to get someone in there as an advisor that is willing to do alot for you guys. Talk to your advisor about being off the clock for thats what the deal is for us. Get a good set of guys together and keep "bugging" him per say to get something done. Otherwise try to find some other people to help.

You need to get some of the other members of the dept. involved. Afterall the junior members are the future of the dept. We have 1 senior advisor and 6 advisors. and only have 33 members total in dept. We take our Jr program serious and treat the junior members like anyother member of dept. It is sad to see young people getting serious about a career and not having any support. Hang in there and someone in your dept. will wake up and take charge.......

R Yates
    Senior Advisor
    LCFD Jr program
    By the way I am full time paid and do the Jr program for free and no overtime at all..... about 15-20 hrs a month on average..

Forum Member

A little late but if you still are suffering from thsi problem, definatly talk to your head advisor and try to get him to be more active and talk to other dept. members to get active in the post. Our post has been around for 13 years and we have 25 (soon to be 26)former explorers on departments across the country, including Chicago and other big cities. Chicago is the only one I could think of off hand. We have 4 former explorers that are advisors at our post and even firefighters who weren't explorers help us out at our musters, drills, mock disaster, meetings, etc. The fd's ff association also pays for our trophies for our muster. We work the open house, Pancake Breakfast which happens to be tomorrow, and various other fd activites. It is good that we work these sometimes as during last years pancake breakfast the department had like 7 calls and we were spread thin for workers. We are also allowed to ride in parades. They also give us trucks for verious drills and gave us their old gear as they got new stuff and the old stuff is only about 5 years old. Try to get a good realtionship with the chief and ff's and hopefully everything will work out.

Good luck!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Default Your Post

You should go to your advisor and ask if anyone from the fire department would like to give their time in being an advisor. To help both you and him out. What that can do for you is get them to talk to the cheif. Then you should try and do membership drives. However it all starts with you advisors. You need more advisors to do anything. In my junior program that I was in and just got out is getting to be just like yours. No one wants to work with us. However as I go through regualr membership I am willing to work with them in what ever way I can. I just think that you need to talk to your head advisor and get him to allow someone else as an advisor and see if they will give up some of their spare time to help you out. I have seen the effects of advisors not wanting to help out. It seems like if you don't have the advisors to work with you then the program will not work. What I am currently trying to do as I just got out of the juniors is to get them more drills and get them to work better as a team. That is another thing that you can try and do. But like I said try talking to your head advisor and see what he can do about getting a full cert. firefighter to work with you guys if you don't have anything for the members to do they will not want to stay. I hope this can help you out, If you want to talk more PM and then we will go from there. I know that it probably will be hard to get another advisors someone who is cert and can work with you but that might be a way to start. You can even email me at firefigther2005@firehousemail.com.
    Stay Safe
    Tom
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

try and get more members.. that way more people will show up for meetings. try putting together an open house or something to recruit new people.

Forum Member

Whitney, I can relate to you well. Our head advisor is the 1st assistant chief of the Dept. He does not usually show up at meetings, turns down ideas and does not allow the explorer officers to go into meetings involving the future of the explorer post. It is like we have no input. It also seems that he is not very pro explorer and does not seem to happy about explorers working with the dept. Currently, myself and the other two officers are trying to get first, more advisors. I would reccomend someone who is older and has a lot of appreciation for the pst or someone younger who recently belonged to the post. Next, and probably MOST IMPORTANT is to establsih a youth leadership. Learning for life states that explorers should have a type of advised, self leadership in place. Have a meeting to elect a chief. You only have six explorers so you don't need many officers. Next I would make a little effort to recruit (don't focus on recruiting, they will always come and go). Our post had 6 members as of last year for the longest time. We focused on just getting 5 more and what happened... those 5 more explorers tell their friends. Now we have 16. You should E-mail me at Echoresponse@earthlink.net. We could probably bounce some good ideas back and fourth.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Be careful though

Everything everyone has said is true. You need to get HIM involved in your needs and possibly look into getting some other people to pitch in, not nesseserally take the post over, but some people responsibilities can be delegated to. The one warning though is make sure your cheif understands and knows about all this. He wont be happy that your going over his head finding new people. Approch it carefully...

Thread Information