FH Mag/.com Contributor

Default ISO & EMS Crews..

We're doing an internal audit prior to bringing in ISO for a pre-review meeting, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight to how EMS weighs in on the scoring. I can't find anything under the staffing (or anywhere else for that matter) about it.

Here's the situation:
    We run our own ambulances, and schedule crews on all units. During the day we have 14 paid crew members on 3 ambulances and 2 engines. At night we run 2 paramedic responders, 2-3 ambulances (depending on availability), and 3 engines (mostly with D/O, Off, 1 FF).

All EMS certified folks take their turns on the box every month, so at any given time we have FFs scheduled on ambulances. Does anyone have an idea if these EMT/FFs count towards suppression crews, or are they nixed figuring that they will be on a transport when the fire drops? We do have some that run EMS only, so sometimes both ambulances crews don't have FFs on them, but on average, 1 out of the 2 are FFs.

Also if anyone else has any lessons learned from a review please post here or drop me an email. Once we're done I'll be documenting everything so y'all can learn from our experience, good or bad.

Thanks & Stay Safe - Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

If your ambulance crews respond on the first alarm to fire calls AND participate in suppression operations then they are part of your on-duty staffing. Rehab duty is probably a gray area.

Your first alarm staffing levels should come from run data averages, so it will depend on what actually happens, i.e. they get counted if the actually responded, the don't if they were tied up on an EMS run.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

FH Mag/.com Contributor

10-Q.

Found out more in some other digging. For every 2000 EMS runs per year, your staffing is reduced by 1 on duty in house FF. Meaning 3 volunteers if no one stays at the station, 6 if there are no sign in sheets.

Also dispatching can cause major problems. We now pay a dispatcher for nights and weekends when volunteers are on, but day crew does their own. So out of the 13 we have, 6 are scheduled on ambulance, leaving 7 for 2 engines and answering the phone. Chief is usually around, but not always. So with counting 1 as dedicated dispatcher we're down to 6. Except for our call volume we're supposed to have 2 dispatchers. But, it's less points lost to have 1 less dispatcher than it is to take 1 FF off of a truck. I don't even want to get started on water supply and apparatus.

It's so black and white it's gray. For all of the loopholes and red tape, I'm surprised ISO isn't part of the government. Guess they just modeled it after the feds.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by BC79er
    10-Q.

Found out more in some other digging. For every 2000 EMS runs per year, your staffing is reduced by 1 on duty in house FF.
    I've missed this one if it's onthe FSRS. Can you tell me where to find it?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I don't know where it would be in the FSRS, haven't read that one yet. I was reading the late LHS's AskIso Word document and found it. It's still available on the web site http://www.isoslayer.com/

Some of it was hard to follow because I was reading it at the office and people kept bugging me with work related issues. The nerve of some people. Pay me and expect me to be productive doing their work. Who woulda thunk?

Thread Information