Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Any sympathy for these guys?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 11.88%
  • No

86 85.15%
  • I don't know/Not enough info

3 2.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Question [deleted]

Last edited by CollegeBuff; 12-18-2004 at 07:21 PM.

Angry

If they want "sympathy" they can look in Funk and Wagnall's Unabridged Dictionary between "Scat and "Syphyllis"!

A big [size=huge] NO [/size]vote here!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Sounds like it's time for a career department in Hampton, Iowa. Never been career and am anti union so, that kind of shows the amount of support they have. Have to sit around and guzzle beer after a call, what loosers.

No sympathy here, I'm afraid. Suck it up, fellows; times are changing.

MembersZone Subscriber

You have got to be f ing kidding me, alcohol and work don't mix.

"There's never been a problem there,'' he said. ``It's nothing that's ever gotten out of hand. I've always made them aware, 'If you have had something to drink or anything, don't come to a fire. Don't even operate an apparatus. Don't put me in that position.' And they've always abided by it.''

If it is in the station something will happen sooner or later.

I voted NO. I've been there. Heck, I'm still there.
    Remember my past posts about a simular situation in my FD? A few of us were trying to drag our department into the 21st century by getting training, certifications and updated policies. During a monthly members business meeting some of us took advantage of the lack of 'social' members present to pass a vote to ban alcohol from meetings and training because the meetings were dragging on every month while the drunks argued over eveything on the agenda.
    The next 2 months meetings were boycotted by nearly all of the other members and we didn't have enough board members present to hold a business meeting. On the third month the chief and other officers returned and brought members who we hadn't seen since the Christmas party, people who aren't active but still have a pager and VFD license plate on thier cars. They used their greater numbers to vote to overturn the alcohol ban. Statements such as "If I have to stop drinking to come to the monthly meeting then I'm not coming." were made by those holding some of the highest positions in our FD. Us "New Guys" weren't going to tell the guys who have been running things for years that they can't drink beer at meetings.
    So we bide our time and pick our battles. Change will come one way or another. At least we have gotten the members who drink to not respond to EVERY call after drinking. It used to be that you would never hear a member say "I would have responded but I had been drinking when the pager went off so I didn't go." Now we hear it pretty regular.
    Still hoping for change,
    cellblock

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Originally posted by oldman21220
    Sounds like it's time for a career department in Hampton, Iowa. Never been career and am anti union so, that kind of shows the amount of support they have. Have to sit around and guzzle beer after a call, what loosers.
    Hampton Iowa:

http://www.hampton-dumont.k12.ia.us/...n/hampton.html

Population 4200.

I doubt they can aford a career department.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

No sympathy whatsoever.

MembersZone Subscriber

How pathetic, acting like children if they can't have thier alcohol. When will they realize that alcohol and firefighting don't mix.
    When Life Is On The Line. We Are Never Off Duty.

He said that in the past, alcohol has been allowed at the Fire Department on four different occasions each year, including a dance.
    Out of curiousity, what were the other 3 occaisions? I know of a company nearby that at 2 of their fundraisers, alcohol is served. It comes to a decent percentage of their income for the year that keeps their building running.

And I voted no. I have no sympathy for volunteers that threaten to quit/walkout/whatever. The purpose of a Fire Department is to help people.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thumbs down

bones, if I were to hazard a guess, I would say that new years and the superbowl are two of the other times.

but I vote no, to quit because you can't drink? I'll fight to keep the bar as a social scene (my opinion, I'm entitled to it), but if you don't get it to quit the department? no sympathy from me
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by oldman21220
    No rural city in Iowa with a pop of 4200 can afford to hire a union thug club. Maybe a chief or one paid per shift. Taxbase/tax limitations will not support a paid dept. Max of $8.20/thousand of taxable value to pay for ALL city government ops. And we have a screwball "rollback" where you only pay on 48% of assessed value. So you buy a $100000 house and max city tax is $393.60. Doesn't go far. As "times are changing" these small cities not have (or think they need) a "City Manager" at $50k/yr. I have yet to hear of a city manager that is on a fire dept or has done anything to support or advance a fire dept (like writing grants, fund raising, sourcing etc).

Bones, point taken about the fundraisers. I found it interesting was that they didn't say alcohol was banned from city activities, just in city buildings. The now ex-chief's quote:

He said that in the past, alcohol has been allowed at the Fire Department on four different occasions each year, including a dance. And sometimes firefighters will drink beer after a fire call.
    speaks volumes to me. They didn't ban alcohol from the parks so an exception for four fundraisers might no have been an unreasonable compromise but I would be willing to bet the "drink a beer after a fire call" is the real sticking point.

i can understand them being angry over the comment on the radio, but then throwing a fit about not being able to drink just makes them look like drunks to the public. no sympathy here

Thumbs down

This is just sad and wrong .......ZIPPO sympathy from me......BUCK UP BUCKY ! (it is 2004 isnt it? can anyone say HUBER?)
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

not just no but hell no... NUT UP and do your job pal!! Quit crying.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Just a second; let me check.
    Nope; no sympathy here.
    Hey; didn't an Iowa coach have to leave the state because of a drinking problem?
    Thought so.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

No little side comments, no little explanations:

NO
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    Hey; didn't an Iowa coach have to leave the state because of a drinking problem?
    Thought so.
    CR
    No you are confused. Married Head Coach bozing/partying with and in students and player homes and while on team roadtrips and diddlin multiple 19-20 year old coeds at the same events. He quit and fled the state before he was canned. What relevance?

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Sounds Familiar.................

So, when did cdevoe move to Iowa??.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information