MembersZone Subscriber

Question Water Can extinguisher Use?

Water can extinguishers

In our area we donít have, train, or use water extinguishers or water cans (pump type). I could see the usefulness in some cases but I just wondered how much they were used and some examples of their use.

We do use Indian packs on brush fires but thatís about the closes we get to this type of equipment.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

I know where you are coming from. Around here we don't use any extinguishers, water can or other. The 3 brackets on each truck there to hold the 3 NFPA required extinguishers carry spare SCBA bottles instead.
    Like you we do use 'Indian packs' for grass fires and such.

Forum Member

I guess it comes down to your "style" of firefighting. We send in 2 men to find the fire before we stretch the line. This is because we have many multi-story apartments, taxpayers, and other large occupancies that are "engery efficiant" and rarely do we show up with fire blowing out of windows it usually still roring inside waiting for us or it could be smoldering w/ no visability. So searching with a hose line is not to practical here. We want to find the main body so we can advance the line quickly to the seat. This team also has, at a minumum, a hook, search rope, 2.5g PW can, handlights, radios, and a set of irons. They also conduct the primary search while they proceed to the most life threating area. The reason for the PW can is that it CAN knock down ALOT of fire, delay flashover, and hold a means on advance for the hose team. Studies have proved (in sweden, that a low pressure fog direct to the ceiling converts steam and expands enough to delay fire growth (think sprinklers). The broken stream will also hold moderate amount of fire in a door way to buy time for the hose line and the Forcible entry man to find another door or object to place in the way of the fire. The technique for the can is to place your thumb over half the nozzle opening, aim over you or in front (depending on conditions) and depress the handle in spurts on the PW can. To teach this we do a live burn. We place members inside to watch fire growth and development...once the flames start to rollover the ceiling we instruct the member to do the above technique. We had obtained on old trailer and conducted a drill for 3 hours, all hands on, teaching and practicing these techniques. MANY of our fire have been located confined and extingushed with a can. We love using them...all of our apparatus have 4-6 PW cans each.
    Another thing we use them for are oil burner fires. We have 1 2.5g PW can with 3% AFFF solution. These cans have a HUGE yellow ban on them to signify that it's AFFF to our members. In the winter time we get a few oil burner fires and you should be using foam on them. I hope this helps.

Stay Safe
    Last edited by VinnieB; 08-12-2004 at 11:15 AM.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Studies have proved (in sweden, that a low pressure fog direct to the ceiling converts steam and expands enough to delay fire growth (think sprinklers)
    What? A fog pattern and not a smoothbore? That can't be, it won't work, guys will get steamed, fires won't go out, paid guys will start working for free, trucks can be any color, IAFF is going volunteer, leather is being replace with lexan, etc.

"This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    What? A fog pattern and not a smoothbore? That can't be, it won't work, guys will get steamed, fires won't go out, paid guys will start working for free, trucks can be any color, IAFF is going volunteer, leather is being replace with lexan, etc.

Read on...its a Low pressure fog. Your not looking for penetration. Only delaying action. The PW can, unlike an automatic, fog, (whatever they are, we don't use them) nozzles draw air from behind and back over you from high pressure and velocity. The water comes out of the can comparitively slower, and is broken up into tiny water droplets that convert and absorb heat better.

I used the Sewden Study because I felt it was non-bias compaired to the everyday for the last 40 year study in the FDNY.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't have a pressurised water can, just a plain old 5 gallon pump style. It works great for overhaul, alot easier than dragging a line all over trying to knock out small hot spots. This can works great for flue fires also, just a little shot of mist and the steam handles the rest, easier on the chimney and mortar.

Forum Member

Originally posted by skydiverbob
    ...works great for flue fires also, just a little shot of mist and the steam handles the rest, easier on the chimney and mortar.
    We used to do this. In one instance the mortar crumbled under the rapid steam conversion starting a fire between the wall and the chimney. Another instance was the steam pushed fire out of a crack in a sleave pipe of a wood burning stove and extended a fire in the attic. Lucky our SOP was to always stretch a protective line into the attic and we were able to address both fires. What we do now is we use our tower ladder to access the chimeny, remove the storm lid, and drop ABC dry chem down the stack, then drop homemade chimeny chains to knock out and blockage and scrape cresoot off the walls.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I think the water can is drastically under appreciated.. That little thing will put out a room and contents fire with no problem..

Forum Member

VinnieB - just trying to be a little sarcastic.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

VinnieB - just trying to be a little sarcastic.

Oh! HA!...I know you were being sarcastic.....I just wanted to add to my previous post and used you sarcasim as a lead in. Sort of looks like one of those late night TV infomercals.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

great, now what you gonna sell me? How about a Russian Jet for forest fire fighting....

MembersZone Subscriber

great, now what you gonna sell me? How about a Russian Jet for forest fire fighting....
    Ummm...How about a tank killer ugly jet instead...

http://www.firehogs.com/index.shtml
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

I doubt it. He probably already knows you bureaucrats have no use for the greatest firefighting implement ever invented.

For me, a water can is great because I'm lazy by nature. We've used them to put out lawn mowers, small grass fires, all kinds of smoldering junk, and many other things that would have otherwise required pulling a preconnect. No big mess, no walking the lines, no repacking the preconnect bed, no topping off the pumper, just a quick visit to the garden hose and air compressor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ffspo0k
    I think the water can is drastically under appreciated.. That little thing will put out a room and contents fire with no problem..
    The forum can be so confusing...

In one thread you are going to die unless you pull a 2.5 inch Vindiactor Blitz into that room and contents fire...

The next you can kill it with a water can...

Mention pulling a 1" hard line off a reel into a fire and you are spanked hard...

I am starting to wonder about you guys.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

I was a can man for years before I got promoted. Hell, I caught my self grabbing the can after I made Lt. Didn't take long for me to leave it alone after the BC got in my hind parts for doing it.

Cans can do alot of good before a line is stretched.

Forum Member

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES

The forum can be so confusing...

In one thread you are going to die unless you pull a 2.5 inch Vindiactor Blitz into that room and contents fire...

The next you can kill it with a water can...

Mention pulling a 1" hard line off a reel into a fire and you are spanked hard...

I am starting to wonder about you guys.
    Brother you'll never hear me say you have to pull a 2 1/2, hell I'm in the minority, our dept still uses 1 1/2", and guess what, the FIRE GOES OUT(*@!@!

Forum Member

I was a can man
    Better make sure you are around FF's when you say that!

Forum Member

I've always wanted to try using the can in a fire. Maybe the next time we do some live fire training I'll have to do it......

Forum Member

Oh no.... You know that Canadian guy is going to show up now and tell us the the US Government refuses to buy superior Russian made Water Cans that could save us from conflaguration........thanks....
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

So to the ones that use cans what type do you use? Seems like two types have been mentioned. Pump and stored-pressure. When you talk about going in with a can seems like the stored pressure would be the best to use(less to do) but when you use it up can you refill at the station if you have an air tank?

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell

MembersZone Subscriber

Pump type
    Attached Images Attached Images  

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell

MembersZone Subscriber

when you use it up can you refill at the station if you have an air tank
    Yes. It is a very simple process.

-The top screws off
    -You add water until it reaches the fill line
    -Mix in any additive you may use (some folks mix in stuff like class A foam)
    -Replace the top
    -Add the air. All the ones I've seen require nothing more complicated than an air chuck that you use to fill tires. In fact, since most (maybe all) only need 100 PSI of air you could probably fill them using a good bicycle pump.

Forum Member

Firefighter430,
    Thanks for the photo. I have never personally seen a pump type extinguisher. Maybe it is a regional thing since we don't have to worry about freezing temps down here in South Louisiana. I have used Dry chemical extinguishers during trainig with other departments but we don't carry any on the trucks. I've used my own personal extinguishers, bought at Wal-Mart, from the trunk of my car to put out a grease fire at a local convenience store and a car fire. It's amazing the amount of fire you can put out with a $30 Wallyworld extinguisher when you arrive before the pumper.

Forum Member

The pictures of the cans that Firefighter430 has on his post are eaiser to refill. Stick a nozzle or filled with any suitable source in the opening and you are reading to go. No need to hook up to the air tank. Works very well in the field where you have brush burning. Just come back to the booster line or foresty hose and refill. Plus it keeps you arms in good shape!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by EFD840

-Add the air. All the ones I've seen require nothing more complicated than an air chuck that you use to fill tires. In fact, since most (maybe all) only need 100 PSI of air you could probably fill them using a good bicycle pump.
    ... As I found out after dousing my daughter with my personal water can. If at all possible, use a compressor - after about the hundredth pump, you'll be glad you did
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Thread Information