MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hose Tender Ideas.

Working on a project to construct a hose tender. Limited number of hydrants going into an rural area that currently has none. Concept is approx 2mi of LDH.

Unlikely to be able to obtain funds for a reel so hose bed is plan.

Primary use is hose tender to support relay ops. Possible/likely secondary use as tanker for shuttle ops. Will not be a pumper/engine as no funds for high $ project. Just carry hose and water.

Looking for photos/ideas of what is out there in use that works.
    Last edited by neiowa; 08-12-2004 at 03:07 PM.

Forum Member

We had one of these apparatus. As a matter of fact we are about to surplus the rig. It is a 1984 Sanford, 250 gallons of water and a Hose Reel. It carried 1800 of 4" hose.

Anyhow...we replaced it with a 2004 ALF 2000gpm/500g water pumper and a really low hose bed. If we wanted we could put a few thousand feet of LDH on it. You can buy a commercial Chassis with a custom body to do what you want for cheap....What are your availible funds? We only paid $379,000 for our new engine. We could have gotten it for about $225,000 or less if we didn't go with bells and whisltes. Just an idea.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

So I assume you did not like the reel method. Not really in our price range anyhow.

Budget? Oh about $10000. Have the truck/trailer/9000' LDH (mil surplus) we will use for the project and $6500 on 2004 fire grant.

Looking for ideas on features/counstruction that others have found to work well.

Forum Member

Go to military surplus, get a 6x6 or something with a good flat bed. Fill it with hose. Sorry, best I could think of.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

You said you already have the truck/trailer and 9000' of LDH (I'm glad we don't mutual aid to you guys, thats a sh1tload of hose!!). With the vehicle in hand do you have a basic layout in mind? Is the truck/trailer a tractor truck or a staight body/flat/stake with a tag type trailer? Are you looking to use the truck as a tanker and tow the trailer with all the hose?, or maybe the other way around? I don't have any vehicles like this in my area but I am very interested in seeing special needs units like this one evolve. If you can give some more details on the vehicle/s and any starting plans I'm sure some of the regulars on here will be throwing ideas and suggestions around in no time. There is an impressive amount of knowledge on this board.

Would a "wire reel" trailer like what the phone company uses work for this purpose?

How about a flatbed trailer that's had stake sides installed? Of course you'd want to make sure there is a roller on the end, and two going vertical incase the hose has to go off the side. Could easily install dividers in it, could possibly consider putting the vertical rollers on the dividers themselves.

Thread Information