Forum Member

Default NFPA Reports State-by-State Findings Of Fire Department Needs And Response Capabiliti

Has anyone read the ARTICLE on the front page and/or looked at the results for their state? What's your thoughts? Do you know if your FD submitted a completed survey?

They say it was sent to 26,000+ Fire Departments and they were happy about receiving 12,000+ completed surveys.......
    Last edited by firenresq77; 08-12-2004 at 09:21 PM.

Forum Member

I'm printing it now...all 93 pages of it.

I hope my print cartridges have enough ink!

edit: damn printer ran out of ink!!!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 08-12-2004 at 11:36 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Not A Valid Survey To Me..............

I looked up Maryland's Numbers, and nothing makes sense. The numbers don't even come close. 3 Departments were usually listed in the Over 500,000 Population group, as being all Career. Baltimore City is the only one I know of, and I'm very familiar with Maryland's Fire Service. All 23 Counties have Volunteers, with at least 10 of them having No Career people at all. And the list goes on.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default NY

I read the survey and found it to be pretty much dead on with thier assesments of departments in New York State. I can plug my department any place in the study and its on the mark!
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Yes, I read it and I remember doing the survey. Unfortunately, after looking at the survey, it does not tell me much other than stuff we knew. Need more people and can't respond to everything.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Things in Montana are much much worse then I originaly thought.

I do feel a little better knowing that 2 of the 3 VFDs I work with are doing better then average.

Some of the more disturbing stats:

- About 3/4 of the departments have trouble delivering 4 FFs for a daytime structure fire.

- 40% of FFs fight structure fires but lack any training in structure fire fighting.

- 29% of FFs involved with EMS lack formal training.

- 76% of Departments have no fitness and health program.

- Engines: 18% are 15-19 years old; 29% are 20-29 years old; 26% are 30+ years old. So 73% of all fire apparatus is at least 15 years old.

- 44% of FF are not equiped with radios at emergency scenes

- 63% of FF do not have PASS devices

- 14% do not have any PPE

All of that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside...
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Exclamation Did we really need a survey?

I have read the report and did not find anything new. Any department that cannot respond the equivalant of two engines, a ladder and a chief with 13 people to a structure fire is in bad shape. That being said, there are many departments in "bad shape".

I know, they do the best they can under the circumstances but that still doesn't make it right. Career or volunteer/paid on call does not seem to be a factor except in the very large and very small departments. There are career departments running two person crews and volunteer departments that will turn out 20.

Perhaps, and it's only a perhaps, we can use this survey to get the message out that we need people, equipment and training regardless of department size or type of organization.

At some point we must stop being the step child of the mutts.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber

I just read the Alabama one. Like everyone else said, we need more people, training, and equipment - tell me something I didn't know.

Forum Member

Read the California report,
    I think the Departments overestimated their technical rescue abilities. In my opinion most departments would require a state response if there were 50 occupants trapped in a collapse.
    otherwise no surprises

Forum Member

I just got done reading the Ohio report and I think it is pretty fair....I noticed for our demographic it seemed on the mark. Although as many have noted, nothing really new in said report.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information