Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stay safe you west coast Florida folks

I know we've got several folks from the west-central Florida area on here and I've got a couple of good friends in St. Petersburg.

You all hunker down and stay safe, it looks like you're gonna be busy later today.

Default Huh?

Why? Whats happening?

Hurricane Charlie is taking dead aim on Tampa/St. Pete.

It is right now a Category 3 storm with sustained 145 mph winds and still growing. Right now, the storm surge could be 16-25 feet and that would put my friend's house and a very large part of the Tampa/St. Pete area in the Gulf of Mexico. This is a bad looking storm.

Check out this local story to see what they're facing.

Forum Member

Default Thanks for the support

Well we are coming down to the wire now. Hurricane Charley is now a Cat. 4 and is making landfall in the Ft Myers area. The current projection shows it coming straight into Orlando. Unfortunately, I think too many people have become complacent and will have to deal with the hardships of not being prepared if they loose power/water. This is definetly a wakeup call for alot of us, no more "hurricanes never hit Orlando". I'll be interested to see how all the recent frame construction holds up. I'll update you once it passes over.

Derek
    Orlando Fire Dept.

Exclamation

You guys hang in there in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas.

Keep focus on what is happening and be careful.

Our prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Let us know how things turned out.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Hope everyone in the path is doing OK........

Default Really?

I am going to tell Mini-Me there is fresh strawberry pie there
    and maybe he will cruise into Florida. Yeah, good idea.

MembersZone Subscriber Rescue21D's Avatar

Post Update

I spoke to a buddy of mine that is a FF in the Fort Meyers area around 2pm today. He was headed home to retrieve some personal effects (whatever could fit in a jumpseat). They were abandoning their station and heading for a new station that is supposed to withstand a Cat 5 storm. The storm had just been upgraded to Cat 4 at that time. Talked to him again around 2100hrs tonight and they fared pretty well so far, don't know about storm surge and high tide yet as far as flooding goes. He said that the county to the north of them was hit very hard. The Sanibel Islands had around 90% devestation. If I hear more, or if some of the folks from FL get a chance ( I know they'll be pretty busy) will try to update.

Thoughts and prayers from Upstate NY. Be safe!
    Captain/EMT-P

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

Standing by in Charleston, SC... waiting for the storm. Gotta report to duty @ 6am to relieve crew.

I hate hurricanes...
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I've got friends in Florida from when I worked on the cruise ships, and nothing was worse than watching the devastation Andrew wrought, not knowing if they were safe. Made the storms and the hurricane I went through (David I believe) seem like nothing at all.

Hearing Jamaica and Grand Cayman and Cuba were hit I never dreamed Charley would end up in the Gulf and hitting the West coast instead of the East coast.

My thoughts will be with all of you this weekend for sure.

Hope everyone stays safe .... scary scary stuff.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

OK, well heres what I knwo as of 0034 EST. Hurricane, now Tropical Storm Charlie is headed towards the Carolinas. The State has been declared a "Major Disaster Area", and much Fed. funding is headed our way. The East Coast mad it off realitivly easy, but still has damage. The death toll is at 3, and 150+ injured. The station I was at tonight (Brevard County Fire-Rescue Station 64) Had 0 calls, and much of District 60 was quiet, a change.... The West Coast is devastated in the Sanabel Island area, a place where friends of mine vacation...... Estimated cost as of now, 20 billion (Thats right Mini-Me, BILLION) dollars. Futher update will follow, feel free to ask questions, as I will try to answer them asap
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Does anyone know how the Sarasota area held up to Charlie ?
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

The death toll is up to 15, with hundreds missing right now. As stated before, damage is in the tens of billions across the State of Florida.

The hurricane made landfall in Charlotte County, in the Port Charlotte/Charlotte Harbor area. Many buildings and homes are without their roofs, or are completely destroyed. The hospital, along with seven fire stations have been destroyed. Charlotte County looks like Miami/Homestead after Hurricane Andrew (my house was destroyed then) in 1992.

Sarasota County is only a bit further north from Charlotte. I don't think damage there is as bad, but they are without power/phone as I can't reach my cousin there.

In Orlando, there's major damage to Sanford and Orlando Int'l Airports. Sustained winds were only around 90 mph when the center of the storm hit that area.

Most houses in that entire area (Central/West Florida) aren't really built to survive anything much worse then a Category 1 hurricane. Stick frame construction is very common in that part of the state, and the damage shows it. Charlotte wasn't even expecting it, as the tracks had it heading towards Tampa.

The Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Florida-Task Force 1 USAR team was activated late last night, and arrived in Charlotte County this morning. I think at least 20 trucks were sent to the western coast of Florida as part of the deployment.

Forum Member

Well, it was first heading for Tampa, then for Sarasota (where I live. ), then it just smacked more south, in Charlotte County, below Sarasota. I drove down there earlier this morning and it isnt a pretty site. I almost live on the Charlotte/Sarasota border, and Sarasota County doesnt have nearly any damage at all, except possible Englewood and North Port.

Forum Member

My parents live in Port Charlotte and I talked to my Dad friday, right as the eye of charlie was over them. Their house took alot of damage, but they did get hurt. They went to the east coast to stay with my sister and her family. I talked to him this morning, their area in Port Charlotte is still without power or phones and also no cell phones. Punta Gorda, where he has his new office also took a big hit.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I have only sailed warships through such weather, so I can appreciate at least a little bit of what some of you folks are experiencing.

For those who live and work in the path areas, Good Luck and God Speed - stay safe out there.

To those, like Tanker who have families out that way - my heartfelt best wishes are to your families. I hope everyone "we" know comes through this one together and safely.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

My heartfelt wishes are with those who are in the areas hit by the hurricane and to those who have family and friends in the areas, that your loved ones are safe. Please take care.

Forum Member

2-7 would not like to ride out something like that, or even a cat-1 in a Navy bucket, yours or ours.

but seriously, there is nothing funny about what that storm did. they are saying that some areas down there lost all their PD/FD/EMS capablities.
    I'm the Midnight Skulker, HAHAHAHAHA

Default Cali's turn...

Right now we are really getting hit with the vegetation
    fires.

Even my local FD is getting busy. I went out and bought
    some Hot Shieds (www.hotshields.com) for some members
    on my department.

Sooooo....When are you guys coming out?

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Originally posted by roadkill
    2-7 would not like to ride out something like that, or even a cat-1 in a Navy bucket, yours or ours.
    The last time I was in a storm like that, was in our old Steamers... 1950's vintage - HMCS RESTIGOUCHE (my first ship). We were on our way to San Diego in January 1993, and we hit a huge storm just outside the straits. This was also my first long trip at sea, and first seaborne storm too.

We had a very tight sched to be in SD, to meet up with the Carrier Group for exercise, so speed was a factor. There were 4 ships in our TG, and all lost parts and equipment during the trip. I did find out that those old steamers were well designed for heavy seas. They didn't roll much, but they sure did pitch - which suited me just fine. I was stabled in the middle bunk of three, in the forward mess deck, just below the gun turret. We were bunked so far forward that we could almost make... oh wait... never mind We did spring a leak through a cracked deckplate just below the breakwater in front of the gun, which of course was right above my bunk space! Not much water, about 4 inches or so.. but enough to keep the mess deck awash for the rest of the trip We nearly lost the port door to the gun on that trip and did lose the gun director from the bridge top!!!

I spent 2yrs on the 'Guts and then a few years later, I sailed on HMCS CALGARY, one of the new Frigates. I was aboard her for nearly 3yrs. Because of the helo hanger, those buggers do roll a lot!! However, it takes one hell of a running sea to make them move at all. I call'm our Steel Greyhounds of Death cuz they are fast, manoever extremely well, pack a fairly heafty punch and because of their size you often do not realize that you are cruising at 20 plus knots. Sorta like a 4500 ton Cadilac

However, back to the main point here. I have not heard much on the news recently, so I hope that things are calming down in FLA, and that everyone came away safely. Capt Stan and you others down there, I hope we hear from y'all sometime soon.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information