MembersZone Subscriber

Default What kind of fire extinguisher to buy?

Having read a number of stories lately about car fires, I want to get a fire extinguisher for my car. Is there anything in particular I need to look for in an extinguisher, or are they all okay? Thanks for the info.

Brenda

Most people would just go with a basic dry chemical -- simple, compact, disposable.

I carry a Pressurized Water Can, but that's department issued (rank has it's priveleges). Although as it's stored right over the low-band & UHF radios I might have some 'splaining to the Chief if it ever leaks Bigger, but can knock down quite a bit of fire if you know what you're doing. And simple for me to fill, bring back to firehouse, fill with water & shot of foam, charge with air. With 100psi of air pressure, freezing isn't an issue (although when frigid, it's gonna freeze really, really damn fast once you start using it -- basically got one shot! One of the coolest things I ever saw was a clear water jug I left in my truck on a zero degree day...after work I looked at it, it was still liquid, WOW! So I opened it, and with pressure released you instantly saw ice crystals form and it was solid in under 3 seconds!)
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

If your primary concern is car fire suppression, whether it be your vehicle or another. I would recommend a dry chem rated at "1A:10BC" or better. a "10BC" extinguisher would be a good subsitute. If you are not familiar with extinguisher buying, these "sizes" should be labeled on the packaging. "1A" means it has 1/2 the extinguishing power as a standard water can on conventional fires. "10B" refers to the amount of flamible liquids fire it will extinguish. the "C" means the extinguishment stream is non-conductive to electricity. Anything bigger is just a bonus.

If you haven't used an extinguisher on a car fire before, use the wheel wells and the front grill as access points rather than trying to pop the hood.

personally I carry a "1A:15BC" and a "10BC" in my car.
    I'm the Midnight Skulker, HAHAHAHAHA

Forum Member

I have a 2L foam extinguisher. It is rated 8A:70B. Its not C rated but it says it is safe to use up to 230V. Only downside is freezing and it cannot be recharged.

MembersZone Subscriber

I personally carry an Amerex 2.5 lb 2A:10BC extinguisher mounted with a bracket to my tool box. Either a 2.5lb or a 5lb should do for vehicle applications.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Me Too..............

Mrs. Harve's Lincoln Town Car has a 5lb Dry Chem, and she knows how to use it. The Green Dodge has 2 5lb Dry Chems, and I know how to use them. My FD Vehicle has a 5lb Dry Chem, a 20lb Dry Chem, and a Water Can. The can has Class A foam in it. I think we got it covered.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks everybody! I bought a 2-A:10-B:C Rated fire extinguisher that is made by Kidde. It's real nice and has a short hose on it. It can also be recharged.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh no, not a Kidde.... does it have a plastic handle?

MembersZone Subscriber

Uh oh...well, the thing you squeeze to spray the "extinguishing agent" is metal. The extinguisher has a 4 lb. capacity. The hose is about 10 inches. It's rated for temperatures not to exceed 120 degrees F (how hot does it get in a closed vehicle-am I okay?) or go below -40 degrees F (I think I'm okay on that one). Does that sound okay?

Brenda

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, you got a decent Kidde. The plastic throw aways aren't worth anything even if you can recharge them because many companies don't recharge Kidde. The reason for that is the plastic handles will break quite easily and the metal valve stem will sometimes cause the handles to break.

Forum Member

I have a 4A60BC in my vech, plus a APW, and CO2. A little overkill.
    I am part of a Fire Brigade in a scout camp durring the summer, and I keep them for when I am down their May-Aug.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Default fire ade 2000

i would suggest u chek out fire ade 2000 it will not damage car parts
    chek it out at fireade source.com

Forum Member

Default sb1 extinguisher

this is designe or liquids and electrical fires can also extigush fat fryer (frymaker)this is a halon replacement agent assuiming you follow the directions it it practially idiot proof but it can not be used on paper fires, fire ade will extiguish car electrical fires up to 24 volts. fire ade is designed for paper liquids and fat fryers. check out fire ade source.com and firecomusa.com

Thread Information