MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Long Distance Applications

Does anyone have experience in applying for (and accepting) jobs a long way from home? I thought I'd be able to apply for jobs 1300 miles away from me, but it's starting to look like an aweful daunting task. Because of most FD's hiring practices, I'd be flying back and forth 5,6,7 or so times depending on how I make out. Who can afford to do that!

It's starting to look like I need to drop my FF job here at home and move to where I'd like to be and work at McDonald's until I get the badge again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Permanently Removed

Default Yo...

I dont totally know your situation but here is what I think-

#1. If youre a career FF now, DONT leave a good job for
    McDs.

#2. If you really, really want to work in that certain spot,
    you will find a way to make it happen.

-Bou

Forum Member

Default Donít Move yet!

Do yourself and your family a big favor. Donít even think about moving until you get the invitation in writing that you have the job. Never move away from family, friends, support and established connections thinking that will improve your chances of getting a badge.

This is not the first time I've seen this question. A candidate is invited to the chiefís oral. He just knows they want him. He gives notice at his job, his apartment and finds a new apartment for the city he is being considered for. He starts packing. After the chiefís interview he is notified to complete the medical, given the date for the academy, uniform fitting and then the psych. He flies down to complete these items in two days. He goes by with his wife to check on the new apartment, flies home and waits for the mover to show up the next day.

Donít touch that dial. There is something wrong with the psych interview. It comes back inconclusive. They want him to retake the psych. But the movers are on their way. I can taste that badge. I know they want me.

A medic candidate moved his family from southern California to Seattle, so he could be in position for the next test. Although he made the list, he was going to have to wait until they got down to him. In the mean time the pressures built up at home, he lost his house in California to foreclosure, and got in a heated argument with his wife. The police arrived and arrested him for domestic violence. This at a time when he was in background for the next academy. Everything came to a full halt. Fortunately, in the state of Washington, if you complete the counseling and probation program and itís your first offense, you can appeal the court to remove the charge. Now a year later, this has been done. The Seattle list he was on expired. Now itís back to square one.

"Nothing counts til you have the Badge . . . Nothing!"

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the advice! Do you think it would be "pushy" or "not in my best interest" to call the departments that I'm interested in and ask them how many times I would be requested in person during the hiring process?

Do/Will some FD's accomodate long distance applicants such as allowing them to take the written test and physical test on the same day?

Forum Member

Roughly 500 miles went up for interview, and tested following day.Had several discussions with Chief of department prior to the interview, had good feeling that I had job.This was not an easy experience and would not recomend it for someone else. I would not do it now, but I have more responsibilities now.

Forum Member

Default time to move after the job offer?

Here's the question I have been wondering about. Say I test
    for the FDNY, pass everything, and get on the list.
    Obviously they have a residency requirement, and I live way
    outside the required area.

now when they say you need to be a resident by the time you
    are appointed, does that mean that when they call you up
    and say you are ready for the academy you need to be living there already?

or is there a bumper zone...where you are offered the job,
    they give you time to move to the city and then you get going?

did i make that clear? i think i just confused myself on that one

Thread Information