Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Does your post have good gear and dirty gear?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just dirty gear

3 23.08%
  • Both dirty and good gear

10 76.92%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gear

Forum Member

Default gear

Am i the only post with good gear and dirty gear?
    Kat

Champaign Explorer Post 207

Default Re: gear

Originally posted by ExplorerFFchik8
    Am i the only post with good gear and dirty gear?
    You know if you wash it, it won't be dirty anymore.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: gear

Originally posted by explr985

You know if you wash it, it won't be dirty anymore.
    Very funny but we have our gear we play in then we have good clean gear thats never been used(i dont even know why we have it...) but like am i the only post that has that?
    Kat

Forum Member

there should be another option: just good gear. The stuff I have is 10 years old, but it was my dad's, and he never goes into fires, always the engineer.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

We have good gear and we keep it clean. It gets washed at least every 6 months. More if it starts smelling funky.

Forum Member

We wash ours uh... not very often, because we play at like every meeting theres only a handful every year that we dont do something with burns so we always use our dirty gear and like never wash it! So uh.. yeah, Sorry there aint no option for good gear! But we have two sets of gear like our dirt gear is pants coat helmet and boots. Our good gear is nice new black 3/4 coat new 3/4 boots black helmet! I dont even know why we have good gear we havnt really used it...
    Kat

Forum Member

FFchik8 are you a part of a big city post or rural post. I am part of a large city post. We have 1 set gear issued to us, We have a mix of dirty gear and fairly good gear, never new.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

We wash ours uh... not very often, because we play at like every meeting theres only a handful every year that we dont do something with burns so we always use our dirty gear and like never wash it!
    I'm talking from (a little bit of) experience here...

If you don't wash your gear, it tends to get ruined. Oh, and you shouldn't be "playing"...I'd think you would be training....

My gear is approximatly 8-9 years old and saw some moderate fire action and heavy mva and ems duty and i dont even consider washing it. We've done car fire and extrication drills and the dirtier it looks, i think the better it looks. My dad has been on the fire department for 25 years and has washed his gear maybe once and thats only if he was directly ordered to. He has a coat he wore for 9 months and it went from bright yellow to greyish and brown in that amount of time. And he just didnt get it dirty for no reason, he used to live in station(volunteer)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

the dirtier it looks, i think the better it looks.
    My dad has been on the fire department for 25 years and has washed his gear maybe once
    You're gear is not made to be left dirty, and you can damage your gear even worse.

I think Bou' can elaborate on this some more. Obviously I have a different view then people with dirty gear, I keep mine clean to preserve it's condition.

All of our gear is brand new, everyone has new gear even cadets. There not even 6 months old. I remember this quote from someone but cant remember "Dirty Gear dont impress me." WASH YOUR GEAR!!!
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Default Calling Bou

Im surprised this thread hasnt been ripped open yet over some of the comments made, maybe I am jumping the gun, I hope however that something gets said.

Well, something will get said, and that is my peice.

WASH YOUR GEAR!!!
    I agree 100%, dirty gear can have its integrity compromised. Gear with its integrity compromised will be more likely to fail to perform the duties that it is expected to do.

I was just issued brand new gear, but my other gear saw some heavy fire, heavy mva, as well as ems, and regardless of how great it looks, I washed it. I think that it looks great when its clean, I dont think that it matters what it looks like in reality, thats not its purpose.

And, to quote IFSTA's "Essentials of Firefighting, fourth edition"

In order for personal protective clothing to perform properly, it must be maintained within the manufacturer's specification. Each piece of protective clothing has a particular manufacturer's recommended maintenance procedure that should be followed to ensure it is ready for serve.

Helmets should be properly cleaned and maintained to ensure their durability and maximum life expectancy. The following are guidelines for their proper care and maintenance.

-Remove dirt from the shell, dirt absorbs heat faster then the shell itself, thus exposing the wearer to more sever heat conditions.
    -Remove chemicals, oils, and petroleum products from the shell as soon as possible. These agents may soften the shell material and reduce its impact and dielectric protection. See the manufacturer's instructions for suggested cleansers.
    -Repair or replace helmets that do not fit properly. A poor fit reduces the helmets ability to resist the transmission of force.
    -Repair or replace helmets that are damaged. This includes leather helmets that have become cracked or brittle with age.
    -Inspect suspension systems frequently to detect deterioration. Replace if necessary.
    -Consult the helmet manufacturer if a helmet needs repainting. Manufacturers can inform the department about the choice of paints available for a particular shell material.
    -Remove polycarbonate helmets that come into contact with hydraulic oil from service and check them. Some oils attack the polycarbonate material and weaken the helmet.

Cleanliness also affects the performance of protective coats, trousers, and hoods. The outer shells should be cleaned regularly. Clean out shells have better fire resistance; dirty protective clothing absorbs more heat. Follow the manufacturerís directions for cleaning. The directions are usually contained on a tag sewn to the garment. NFPA 1500 requires that protective clothing be cleaned through either a cleaning service of fire department facility that is equipped to handle contaminated clothing

Enough said?
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

All of our gear is brand new, everyone has new gear even cadets. There not even 6 months old. I remember this quote from someone but cant remember "Dirty Gear dont impress me." WASH YOUR GEAR!!!
    I believe it was Bou...

Enough said?
    ...Enough said.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Just to throw in my opinion

I wanna agree that dirty gear just looks just a little bit better. I got me some good gear with a little dirt on it and i like it that way. As an explorer im not to worried about my gear failing me in a fire, or at a MVA. But thats just me.

Forum Member

My post is a big city post, we train at the Illinois Fire service institute, we have our meetings there. We call our training playing because we usually do stuff we've already done before, like saving your own, search and rescue yada yada yada that type of deal. We have 2 sets of gear, we have our gear we play in and get all dirty then we have our gear that stays all clean and pretty in a trailer we never use and we have no total reason for having, that i know of. I was only wondering if all the others posts had a set of gear they train in and a set a clean perty gear, where'd it get so complicated??????
    Kat

Forum Member

I guess my "post" (read: me) could have two sets of gear. We just got all new black gear, and I just got issued my stuff for the academy and in-department training.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Alright, I'm going to bite into this.. yet again.

I wanna agree that dirty gear just looks just a little bit better. I got me some good gear with a little dirt on it and i like it that way. As an explorer im not to worried about my gear failing me in a fire, or at a MVA. But thats just me.
    As an Explorer, you should be concerned...
    Explorers must be equipped with personal protective equipment that is appropriate for the activity being done.
    -Quote from LFL.

They don't define appropriate, but that should include "good" quality of gear, "full" turnout gear, and proper maintanance on gear.

Just because you don't go "in" the fire, is not a reason to have dirty gear. Are you ever on the "exposure lines"? How about if you do live burn training? That's more then enough reason to keep your gear clean, and maintained.

My post is a big city post, we train at the Illinois Fire service institute, we have our meetings there. We call our training playing because we usually do stuff we've already done before, like saving your own, search and rescue yada yada yada that type of deal. We have 2 sets of gear, we have our gear we play in and get all dirty then we have our gear that stays all clean and pretty in a trailer we never use and we have no total reason for having, that i know of. I was only wondering if all the others posts had a set of gear they train in and a set a clean perty gear, where'd it get so complicated??????
    It got complicated when you started bragging...

Training is not play. Have you taken FF1? Have you taken FR? How about EMT B? Even if you're not getting certified, that's training that could be done. If you answered yes to either of those, take them again, I'm sure with all your "playing" that you missed something important.

I'm a major supporter of having "junior members" on departments, but when you want to make a joke out of safety, and when you want to worry about having two sets of gear and not additional training you could be receiving, I tend to wonder why I want to support such things. I can't say that my actions on here, your actions, or Cadet XYZ's actions here on FH.Com will reflect on all "junior" members. Sorry for going off topic on this, but I feel the "junior members" are starting to play Devil's Advocates. We want to be treated like firefighters, to be "fair" and be able to work within limitations, but when it comes time to making sure we are safe, our gear quality becomes a joke, because we are not going "in".

Rant off!

Forum Member

dude! i wasnt bragging sorry if it came off that way! Fer real dude i was just wondering if we were the only posts with 2 sets, because like 2 or 3 weeks ago we had a bunch of kids from around the state come down and they were like "oh wow dang you guys have alot of stuff that we dont have" yada yada yada and i was just curious if we really did have alot or what! Fer real dude you might wanna try a couple midol they might help you settle down!! And it might do some good!
    Kat

dude! i wasnt bragging sorry if it came off that way! Fer real dude i was just wondering if we were the only posts with 2 sets, because like 2 or 3 weeks ago we had a bunch of kids from around the state come down and they were like "oh wow dang you guys have alot of stuff that we dont have" yada yada yada and i was just curious if we really did have alot or what! Fer real dude you might wanna try a couple midol they might help you settle down!! And it might do some good!
    Alright. This will probably be my last post on this topic atleast. I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.

It's "For real" and my name is not "dude". What makes the people that came down to see your groups post "kids"? Aren't they just as equal as you? Do you like being called a kid?

I'm male, I don't need to take midol, thank you. They will not help me in any way, shape, or form. I take my role as a "junior member" serious. If I want to be "one of the guys" I need to live up to their standards within the guidelines set forth by LFL, OSHA/VOSHA, the FD, my parents, and myself.

Originally posted by ExplorerFFchik8

Most days I would comment on this, but I don't even know where to begin. However some advise Katrina, use proper grammer because it will make you look alot more mature. It took me a minute but I did figure out what you posted, I think.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Thread Information