Default Just Getting Started

IM RECENTLY NEW TO THE WHOLE "FIRE" SCENE. SINCE LEAVING HIGH SCHOOL 2 YEARS AGO (2O02), I HAVE BEEN GOING TO COLLEGE TO GET MY PARAMEDIC, THEN THERE-AFTER MY FFI&II. I'VE BEEN WORKING AT MY LOCAL HOSPITAL IN THE ICU FOR 1 AND 1/2 AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW BY VOLUNTEERING, HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?

ARE THERE ANY BOOKS I CAN READ TO GET AHEAD OF THE GAME? MY LOCAL FIRE DEPT. IN MARION COUNTY, FLORIDA HAS TRAINING CLASSES THAT ARE EQUIVLENT TO THOSE AT THE FLORIDA STATE FIRE COLLEGE SO YOU CAN GET YOUR FF1 BUT NOT STATE CERT.

WHEN'S THE APPROPRIATE TIME TO START DRIVING UP TO A SCENE BY MYSELF?
    SHOULD I RIDE ALONG WITH THE CREW FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS BY MAKING SHIFTS AT THE HOUSE AND RIDE THE APPARATUS FIRST, THEN START ARRIVING BY MYSELF?

IM TRULY INTERESTED, SO PLEASE LEAVE ME A POST OR EMAIL AT tw44_34472@yahoo.com

thanks,
    tom

WHEN'S THE APPROPRIATE TIME TO START DRIVING UP TO A SCENE BY MYSELF?
    SHOULD I RIDE ALONG WITH THE CREW FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS BY MAKING SHIFTS AT THE HOUSE AND RIDE THE APPARATUS FIRST, THEN START ARRIVING BY MYSELF?

that depends is the fire dpet vol. or paid???
    if it s vol then i would go to a meeting if you can talk to the chief or asst chief and see what they say and it is paid then talk to the chief and get the okay. If it is paid they might want you to ride along first to get to you and so you can get to known them. that is all i have for suggestions for you. I didn't have to do any of this for my vol sdept since they whole dept knew since i was 5 or 6 when my dad joined that was a long time ago. Plus my town is so small that you blink you are thought the center of it. But that is how rural Vermont is.

MembersZone Subscriber

Life
    First not all caps "shouting"
    After you take the 160 training at your station and are signed off by your instructor, you can take the state test at the Ocala FC and become "state certified" as a FF1. The test is given throughout the state. If you are thinking of becoming a "paid" FF, check with the Ocala FC and see if they will accept a FF1 certificate as part of the FF2 training.
    IFSTA's "Essentials of Fire Fighting - Fourth Edition" is the textbook for FF1 and FF2.you can get it at the Ocala FC book store.

Good luck
    Myron
    chiefmyronpierce@hotmail.com
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Thread Information