Question 'A-Suit' Hangers

I am looking for some information on how differant departments store their Level A suits. At present we keep ours folded in their bags and stored in lockers on the trucks. We are looking at hanging the suits on new trucks we have purchsed, however other than hangers designed for hanging wet suits by their feet, I can not find any other systems out there.

Does anyone know of any systems designed specifically for hanging Level A and B suits?

MembersZone Subscriber

made our own, pvc pipe and a screw hanger,
    work well

MembersZone Subscriber

We keep them in the bags, they take up little space and are protected. I would worry about the hanger causing some wear.

Exclamation Storing Level A Suits

Hello Calgary... First off, it's not a good idea to hang level A suits in my opinion. I remember years ago hearing that the Honolulu Fire Department had damage to several suits that were hanging in their response vehicle. High heat coupled with gravity will pull at the seams... or maybe they won't but do you want to be the guy in the suit wondering if there was any compromise to the integrity of the suit... What I did for our hazmat team was contact the coroner and ask for body bags. You want the ones that have extra handles on the outside and the soft bag interior lining that is meant to absorb body fluids but works really well at providing a cushion and more protection for your Level A suit. Keep your suits lying flat, stacking one on top of the other... The handles make manuevering the bags with the suits inside much easier. Bottom line... Get rid of the hangars and go for the body bags. Your life may depend on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

The problem we have had in Calgary is that there has been more than a few suits fail testing because of small holes on a fold. Our thinking was if we could find the right hanger that didn't cause any wear hanging the suits would be our best option. Heat shouldn't be a problem because the new trucks are air conditioned and we do live in Canada so it's only hot for about 2 weeks a year. The body bag idea is interesting though. We will give it some thought.

MembersZone Subscriber

we also found that our suits were
    failing at the folds when we were
    storing them in bags, thats why we
    went to hanging them. we have no heat
    problem, they are kept in a ventilated
    compartment, where a fan kicks on for 2
    hours, then off for 4. we have only been
    doing this in our new unit since may, so
    i will keep an eye out for failure in the
    shoulder area due to the hanger, our sales
    rep however, did recommend that they should be
    hung.

unrepentant fool
    back home for the first time in MANY years

I haven't tried this, but it's an idea...how about the same kind of hangers used for wetsuits? They're built to support bulk, so maybe those would be worth considering.

Thread Information