MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sprint Ready Link

I got a new phone yesterday with Sprint PCS's new PTT service Ready Link. So far I've found it much clearer than Nextel and it doesn't drop the connection the way Nextel seems to (in my area anyways).

Unfortunately, my wife's phone is the only other one I know with this service. I'd like to test it out with other people. If you have Ready Link and would like to test it out with me, send me a PM.

BTW, I also found out yesterday that Sprint gives Firefighters 20% off on their monthly bill. I have a phone number to call to set it up if anybody's interested PM me.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Must be your area............

I can't find anything better than Nextel here, not that I'm looking very hard. I guess people have varied reasons for using different wireless services, and in my situation, Nextel is best by a VERY wide margin. I have no service issues at all, EXCEPT a "dead area" that surrounds a Government installation. I honestly believe that the Feds have set up a "jamming" operation for security reasons, and I have no problems with that. You gotta do whatever is necessary to protect your back in these times. Back to Nextel. My use is 90% radio, 10% phone. Everyone in the FD, it seems, has Nextel, as does my family. No sense in going off onto another system where I'd use the phone all the time. BTW, I have free unlimited Radio (Direct Connect) Hours. I pay for the phone service.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

unrepentant fool
    back home for the first time in MANY years

Default Re: Sprint Ready Link

Originally posted by WTFD10
    BTW, I also found out yesterday that Sprint gives Firefighters 20% off on their monthly bill. I have a phone number to call to set it up if anybody's interested PM me.
    I'm a Sprint PCS customer and I certainly wasn't aware that I could get a discount. Hook me up with that phone number, s'il vous plait.

Forum Member

Default Re: Sprint Ready Link

Ahh. Now you tell me. I wish I knew that 2 months ago when I switch to Verizon for no reason other than it was cheaper!!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Moe, I still say you should have went with Nextel. I love mine. In fact, when I upgraded to my newest phone, I signed a 2 year contract with them, and I hate signing contracts. Service CAN be an issue, depending on where you are. For some reason, we get a dead spot in a couple places in the fire station, but that's about the only problem I've had in this area. In fact, mine works great when I'm sitting at the board at work, with all of the computers and radios around.....

Now, my brother lives about 1 hour outside of Atlanta, GA (in Williamson which is just outside of Griffin). When I was down there, my coverage bounces a little bit, depending on where I am inside or outside his house. But then again, the closest tower is roughly 20 minutes away from his house (I believe). Other than that, Nextel is good as gold.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Moe, I still say you should have went with Nextel. I love mine. In fact, when I upgraded to my newest phone, I signed a 2 year contract with them, and I hate signing contracts. Service CAN be an issue, depending on where you are. For some reason, we get a dead spot in a couple places in the fire station, but that's about the only problem I've had in this area. In fact, mine works great when I'm sitting at the board at work, with all of the computers and radios around.....

Now, my brother lives about 1 hour outside of Atlanta, GA (in Williamson which is just outside of Griffin). When I was down there, my coverage bounces a little bit, depending on where I am inside or outside his house. But then again, the closest tower is roughly 20 minutes away from his house (I believe). Other than that, Nextel is good as gold.......
    We've got a Nextel at work and it is out of the service area more often than it is in. That was the major factor in staying with Sprint.

(Geez I sure hope I don't get the boot from the WT for dissing the major Ladder 49 section sponsor )
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

We've got a Nextel at work and it is out of the service area more often than it is in. That was the major factor in staying with Sprint.
    That's kind of surprising. Especially since the "home" area for NW Ohio is actually based out of Detroit. We're just a branch off of them........

Forum Member

In my opinion, Next-To-Hell is a reincarnation of saten with an antenna. If that company was to get blown off the map by an errent asteroid this afternoon, there would be a celebration at my house. It isn't the concept of PTT that I dislike, it is the company itself that I refuse to give a dollar to them. It is inconvinient for me to not have a NexTel since everyone else I know has one, but I refuse to pay money for it or have someone else pay money for me. That and most of their sites do NOT have backup power. Sorry, but I want a service that doesn't go on and off with the lights.

Forum Member

WTFD10 --> I emptied my inbox. Can you re-send it? Thanks!

I use Nextel...actually 2. Work's which I carry most of the time unless I'm sleeping, swimming, or high-risk of phone destroying activities. And the Fire Dept's, which lives in my truck. The other officers know to call the work Nextel...the Fire one ain't answered except when I'm in the truck!

Work keeps threatening to switch another vendor. I hope not -- Nextel's given me as good of service as I've found in my area. Yeah, it's always changing 'cause we're semi-rural -- big enough everybody tries to serve us, small enough no one has betther than 80% good coverage.

State Haz-Mat guys run two phones -- Nextel & Verizon to try and maintain 100% coverage as they travel the state.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by nmfire
    WTFD10 --> I emptied my inbox. Can you re-send it? Thanks!
    Just tried and it bounced back again. You're a popular guy!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

may need to empty his sent and deleted ones too ...........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

That and/or he may have to select the time frame. Change it from last 30 days to since the beginning. I know that was my problem before........

And/or check the Sent folder.......

Forum Member

I deleted a ton of messages the first time. I will delete more as well as the sent folder AGAIN. It should definately not show full now.

Maybe Nex-To-Hell saw my post and sabotaged my account?

MembersZone Subscriber

I deleted a ton of messages the first time. I will delete more as well as the sent folder AGAIN. It should definately not show full now.

Maybe Nex-To-Hell saw my post and sabotaged my account?
    Looks like it went through this time brother.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

when i bought a new phone, i switched from t-mobile to verizon. it was a toss up between nextel and verizon, and verizon won due to having cheaper rates and a better coverage area. for about $50 a month (that's including taxes), i get 400 daytimes minutes, unlimited night and weekend minutes, and 2000 verizon wireless to verizon wireless minutes. i also get free long distance through out the US.

to be honest, I don't see what the big deal is about nextel's direct connect. how is it any different than calling someone? yeah, it's unlimited. so? i have virtually unlimited to any other verizon wireless customer. so to all the major phone companies. and you can only DC other nextel users. btw verizon, in theory anyway, has their own "Push to Talk" system. i don't know anyone who use it, but it is there. Nextel's DC is a nice feature, but when you get past all the hype, and what it really does, you see that is pretty much the same thing offered by all the other phone companies.

I'd say stick with reliability, and go with Verizon
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Originally posted by DrParasite
    when i bought a new phone, i switched from t-mobile to verizon. it was a toss up between nextel and verizon, and verizon won due to having cheaper rates and a better coverage area. for about $50 a month (that's including taxes), i get 400 daytimes minutes, unlimited night and weekend minutes, and 2000 verizon wireless to verizon wireless minutes. i also get free long distance through out the US.

to be honest, I don't see what the big deal is about nextel's direct connect. how is it any different than calling someone? yeah, it's unlimited. so? i have virtually unlimited to any other verizon wireless customer. so to all the major phone companies. and you can only DC other nextel users. btw verizon, in theory anyway, has their own "Push to Talk" system. i don't know anyone who use it, but it is there. Nextel's DC is a nice feature, but when you get past all the hype, and what it really does, you see that is pretty much the same thing offered by all the other phone companies.

I'd say stick with reliability, and go with Verizon
    The plan I have from Nextel is 1000 daytime Minutes, Unlimited Nights and Weekends, Free Long Distance, and Unlimited DC, and I pay the same amount you do....

The deal with the DC is this........ It's nice to be able to talk to someone to say "Hey, I'm on my way", and only get charged for 6 seconds worth of talking vs. 1 minute when you have to call someone using a regular phone. This saves a lot of actual phone minutes.

As far as only being able to DC Nextel people, yes, it kinda sucks, but then again, there were only a few people who had Nextel when I got mine a few years ago. Now most of my friends have them, along with having them for the FD and throughout the city.

Nextel has worked 10+ years to get their DC where it is today. I'm not sure how good the other's are, but I feel more comfortable with the Nextel.

As for the Nextel coverage, well I guess that is a small price to pay. I have great coverage in my home area, which is where I am 90% of the time. When I go outside my home area, I rarely have problems, unless I am way out in the boonies. And if I do lose service for a short time, it's no big deal. I also don't have to pay any roaming charges at all, because Nextel doesn't share towers...... I was hoping they would start after everyone else came out with the two-ay, wut I don't think that will happen.

Forum Member

NexTel is physically incapable of roaming onto other carriers. NexTel's system is completely different than real cell carrier's systems. Probably will never ever happen. In order to have DC from one carrier to another would require a physical connection from NexTel to the other carrier's system. It's basicly impractical and also probably won't ever happen.

The rest of carriers however can do all of the above. Obviously roaming onto other carriers already happens. PTT from one carrier to another is a project that is in the works. I don't know when it will be done, but when it is, NexTel will not be part of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

PTT from one carrier to another is a project that is in the works. I don't know when it will be done, but when it is, NexTel will not be part of it.
    If this happens I think Nextel's marketing slogan will be very prophetic.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Nextel sucks. My father uses it for construction and hates it, he cant wait till his contract is over.
    When I was interning with the arson team, they proved to be nothing but a headache on and off the fire ground. I brought a set of FRS/GMRS radios to my last call before my internship ended,they worked better for asking "Hey boss, the nieghbor wants to talk to you" or "Where was evidence tape in the trunk?". Main complaint with Nextel was when you hit the PTT you would get a BEEEEEEEP instead of the chirp. Coverage inside buildings was also bad.

Verizon & Sprint have a PTT phone,so I dont see why people continue to pay Nextel fee's for what isnt a exclusive Nextel feature anymore.
    And Nextel is not as "pro" public safety as they seem to be with there and band stealing--------NM can fill in on this.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Originally posted by stm4710
    Verizon & Sprint have a PTT phone,so I dont see why people continue to pay Nextel fee's for what isnt a exclusive Nextel feature anymore.
    What "fees" am I paying???? I pay the same amount as DrParasite, yet I get more minutes, I have the Direct Connect (which I use even more than I use the phone, and I don't have to pay roaming charges..........

Forum Member

What "fees" am I paying???? I pay the same amount as DrParasite, yet I get more minutes, I have the Direct Connect (which I use even more than I use the phone, and I don't have to pay roaming charges..........
    Brian, perhaps fee was a wrong choice of a word. My father pays $75 a month for 300 minutes and I dont know how much direct connect minutes. My friend Matt has a Verizon I think is like $40 a month,my gf has a Sprint that she pays $38.95 a month for.
    Sprint and Verizon sound better and are more reliable with a much better coverage area. What I was saying is IMO Nextel is chargeing a premium rate for not so premium service. But hey if you got the money to waste........

Forum Member

Originally posted by stm4710
    Brian, perhaps fee was a wrong choice of a word. My father pays $75 a month for 300 minutes and I dont know how much direct connect minutes. My friend Matt has a Verizon I think is like $40 a month,my gf has a Sprint that she pays $38.95 a month for.
    Sprint and Verizon sound better and are more reliable with a much better coverage area. What I was saying is IMO Nextel is chargeing a premium rate for not so premium service. But hey if you got the money to waste........
    And what I'm trying to say is that yes, I pay $50/month, but I will never go over my minutes. How are your friend and girlfriend charged? Does it go by the minute? Half-Minute? Second? Your dad is getting screwed with his plan, and that's kinda his fault. Why doesn't he change his plan?????

Forum Member

The plan I have from Nextel is 1000 daytime Minutes, Unlimited Nights and Weekends, Free Long Distance, and Unlimited DC, and I pay the same amount you do....
    how?????? and you only pay $50 after taxes? then you got one awesome deal, that I don't this is available anymore. I just checked the nextel website, and this is the closest thing I can find to what you describe:
    Nextel National Value 1000 Plan
    1000 Cellular minutes $59.99
    Unlimited Night & Weekend minutes
    100 Direct Connect minutes
    Free long distance & roaming throughout the Nextel network!

and that doesn't include the unlimited Direct connect. those that do don't include long distance, any that do have unlimited DC with 100 anytime minutes start around $89.99.

I pay Verizon $39.99 for 400 daytime minutes (which i rarely go over), 1000 mobile to mobile minutes, and unlimited night/weekend and long distance. $59.99 vs $39.99. which would you pick?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

And what I'm trying to say is that yes, I pay $50/month, but I will never go over my minutes. How are your friend and girlfriend charged? Does it go by the minute? Half-Minute? Second? Your dad is getting screwed with his plan, and that's kinda his fault. Why doesn't he change his plan?????
    Cant say for my friend but my GF is charged by a "half-minute".

Nextel National Value 1000 Plan
    1000 Cellular minutes $59.99
    Unlimited Night & Weekend minutes
    100 Direct Connect minutes
    Free long distance & roaming throughout the Nextel network!

and that doesn't include the unlimited Direct connect. those that do don't include long distance, any that do have unlimited DC with 100 anytime minutes start around $89.99.
    Thats what I mean, even the cheapest plan from Nextel is still about $20 more than other carriers. My dad defently use's long distance. And like I said, they are chargeing premium $$$ for service that is not premium. 77' at $ 50 a month I think you got a sweet heart deal, really.

Thread Information