Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fdny Company Assignments

I heard that when your in the fire academy you get a "wish List" of the houses you would like to go to after your gradutation, i was just curious how it works and if you actually do get the house you want? thanks and be safe

Forum Member

The only thing I've ever heard was the top probie in the class and maybe the physical fitness winner and squad leaders getting to submit a wish list. But I dont know if they actually get what they want.

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

MattyJ is right, but I think that the last couple of classes were allowed wish lists of companies they wanted to go to. I believe they were allowed 6 choices. From what I understand, they pretty much try to accomodate one of your picks. I know a guy that got assigned to his 3rd or 4th choice.

It's something new, I don't know if it will last. I honestly don't know the motivation behind it either.

MembersZone Subscriber

thats intresting, thanks for the insight, i know there are a couple of cities that have houses that there is no way you can get into right from the academy "other then specialized units." are there any like that in the fdny? be safe

If I'm not mistaken, the Special Ops Units are all invite-only.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Probies have been assigned to Squad Companies. Usually due to a "big hook".
    Last edited by VinnieB; 08-17-2004 at 02:43 PM.
    IACOJ Member

Sorry, I guess I am mistaken. isn't the first time, won't be the last.

question then: don't you need to be a hazmat tech to be on a squad company? if so, is that taught at the academy to probies before they grauate?

and vinnieB, a big hook???
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Everyone gets Hazmat Awarness in probie school. They will send you to the required schools upon assignement. You still have to interview with the Company Captain before you go anywere in SOC.
    IACOJ Member

Originally posted by DrParasite

and vinnieB, a big hook???

Yeah "a big hook"...you have to know someone with alot of pull. Usually "someone" who knows "someone". That's how city jobs work...just as long as no one gets confussed....like in my case. I was to be assigned to Battalion 15 in Division 2 (EMS) but ended up in Communications and Headquarters. It found out later that I was "destined" to go because of my military background.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

are there any engine and truck companies that you need a "big hook" to get into out of school?

There Sure Are!
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

theres probably alot in brooklyn and the bronx, do ya know any off the top of your head

Forum Member

There are prestigious companies in all the boroughs.. And basically as a rule of thumb it helps to have a hook to get into busy companies.. for example 75 engine which I believe did the most runs in the city last year. Also I talked to a probie the other day who has been on for only 3 months and he said that they gave him 6 choices on where he would want to go! I think that is a lot of choices... I can think of atleast 5 houses that I would not mind working out of!

MembersZone Subscriber

im sure there are, i could only think of ones in those 2 boroughs though like engine 290 or engine 255. did that proby get one of his 6 choices? the proby i talked to got his # 2 choice. be safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hmmm

When was the last time you saw a probie go to one of the squads? you need at least 2 years before you go to a squad these days!

Forum Member

VinnieB, Are you an FDNY firefighter?? I really dont know. I mean no disrespect.

Here's an example of what a "Big Hook" can do for you:

I have a friend, who put out the word that he wanted to go to a busy truck in Bklyn. His "Medium Sized Hook" got him in touch with a Lieutenant of the company. He got friendly with some officers of one of the busiest trucks in the city for runs, workers, and OSW's. He was even told to come meet the Captain. He went in his class "A"'s, brought bagels and donuts, had a sit down with the Captain, which apparently went extremely well. Captain told him that he was full right now, but he would definetly call for him when he had a spot. Said Captain even arranged for a 15 day detail to cover an IOD member. Everyone got along well, and my friend was told he would be welcome at any time. Mind you, this is a dream spot- a busy house (not just bullsh*t runs) with a great group of guys.

That was just a few months ago- he found out today that they just got a proby- Rumor has it, a retired deputy's nephew.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Originally posted by MattyJ
    VinnieB, Are you an FDNY firefighter?? I really dont know. I mean no disrespect.

.....Non-Taken...(I don't think....)I'll take your call out...TO answer....NO...I stated before..I was in EMS and NEVER did I EVER state that I was anything else in regards to FDNY. What I haven't divulged is that I am now in the CSU. I do however remember while working in the Bronx....seeing probies getting off the Squad Apparatus...circa..late 2001 early 2002. Could have been details....but in conjucntion with events of the time, what we were being told about Haz-Tacs being assigned to Squads out of Probie school, and I swear I read a DO that had probies going to squads..I am looking for those DO's...I have to check my DOs...so far I havbe only found back to DO# 72 August 14, 2003....you could understand why I wrote what I did....I just re-read my post...I should have prefaced w/ "I have heard of"...which includes being told from FDNY Firefighters. But hey...there is such thing as "sh*thouse" lawyers eh?....

added 081904 @2037:

We have been debating this around the kitchen table at work for about 2 months now....half of us say yes and the other half are unsure...(mind you...this is between LD and Ret guys)...actually...I'll have a difinitive answer tommorrow around 1600...
    Last edited by VinnieB; 08-19-2004 at 08:35 PM.
    IACOJ Member

Originally posted by FWDbuff
    Here's an example of what a "Big Hook" can do for you:
    Yeah I saw the same type of deal go down when we got our Division Assignments in the Academy. There were 4 of us slated to go to Communications. WELL...The one EMT I guess had a father who is a retired Chief from suppression...he had his orders changed the day of graduation...he ended up be assigned to Division 5 (Conney Island and Staten Island)...now....there is a HUGE waiting list of people looking to go there...and no one I know has ever heard of any being assigned to that division right out of TOP Class...even the Company Commander, BOT Commander, and instructors were stunned when they heard this guy was going to Div 5......Yeah...so...A BIG HOOK will get you a BIG fish....
    IACOJ Member

Thread Information