Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question KME comments? Good/bad/ugly?

Looking for comments from KME Engine owners and what you think of your KME? Would you buy another KME?

I would highly suggest you do a search using the search function in the left hand column....... You will find quite a few threads discussing this topic....... some good, some bad........ Some of us have some long stories that we don't care to re-tell, due to their length........

we love them and WILL be buying more in teh future...your more then welcome to visit us if your ever in the area.
    www.westmead2.com
    Some of us are Leaders and some are Followers...get out of the way cause im taking the Knob!

www.westmead2.com

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

We have had generally good luck with KME. The good points: We found them to be very responsive to doing things our way and incorporating our ideas within reason. They did alot of things during the construction process for them and we never saw an upcharge for changes (something I understand is rare). Their service after the sale has been great, we had a very good salesman and construction engineer who were both very helpful through the whole process. We have had a few glitches on what is a complex rig that was also the first they built (95' midmount on a Spartan) and they have all been worked out to our satisfaction. The points to watch: Their workmanship can leave a little to be desired at times. Their electrical and hydraulics have been great, fit and finish and things of that nature require some attention. If my recollection of the NE Extension is correct, you are fairly close to the factory. Making regular inspection trips and working out problems as you find them makes all the difference in the world. Overall, I would deal with them again and would recommend them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Well lets see! The 1st one we got is in the shop, and the 2nd one is in the shop, and the 3rd just came out of the shop and the 4th newest one is a reserve apparatus that you dont dare try moving unless your taking it to the shop.

But I'm sure KME has came a long ways and improved their apparatus.

You know - it's been said before that every builder makes a lemon now & then and that's true. But it's really hard to say who makes a "good" truck and get opinions on "bad" trucks because you never really know what the truks real duties are and how well it was designed for those duties.

Let's say I asked how well everyone likes a 16 oz claw hammer. Well all the folks who were using it for general carpentry might love it, but the guys who were using it for auto body work or to hammer in fence post might not like it so much.

A bad/poorly designed truck being used for a given job will almost always generate a negative opinion - regardless of who made it or when it was made.

Having said all that - we have 2 KME's and have never had any real problems with them.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

We have one now and it is great...we are currently in the "pre-Specs" stage for another.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Thumbs down KMUck

K = Kmart
    M = Manufactured
    E = Equipment

Just my opinon, I am sure there are those that would agree and those that would disagree.

Be Safe Out There Everybody...

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by N2DFire

A bad/poorly designed truck being used for a given job will almost always generate a negative opinion - regardless of who made it or when it was made.
    I agree. I helped Spec out our latest Quint from Central States, 75' Straight stick. We have had several problems with out 100' rear mount platform from Central States purchased a year before the quint. Everyone is Bit#hing and maoning about it. We have been running Sutphen Aluminuim Platforms for years now we have 2 steel ladders. I like both of those trucks. Seems like every vehicle will be in the shop as hard as we all abuse them epecially fulltime or big city depts.

Didn't mean to ramble. Its just that you can't please everyone. With that being said. My old dept had a KME and it was great. Beat the heck out of the Freightshaker we were on. My now career dept loved the Frieghtshakers, you want to talk about junk. Could have been the manufacturer though. You will never know.

I think KME put in a bid for 4 new pumpers we bid out but I'm not sure. I'll do some checking.
    Firefighter/EMT/HazMatTech
    Truck 2

www.swmosportbikes.com

Forum Member

We looked at them for a medium size support type vehicle (18' rescue box on an International chassis)...dealer rep was very receptive to our unique needs, we shyed away from them though after several local chiefs told us horror stories and these for "run of the mill" type apparatus, not the specialized piece we were looking for...we were told that KME stands for "Keeps Mechanics Employed"...

Just my 2 cents...Stay Safe...

Question Kme - oops

Started our backup engine (KME) this morning and guess what? Not happening!! Just needed new batteries but guess where the batteries are stored! Under the driver side cab which you can access when you raise the cab. Lets see... No power to start the engine... No power to lift the cab!! Duh. Yea thats right, no manuel lift either. We had to hook our battery charger to the lifting motor (not a piece of cake) and proceed. I guess that was a minor engineering oversight. I can't believe we're the only department in the world that has had a problem like this.

Default KME Battery Access

To: FF6EMTP

So many times there are postings on here knocking a manufacturer for doing, or not doing certain things. However, 95% of the time it comes down to how you, the customer, specified the apparatus.

First question I would have for you is what style KME is this (Excel, Renegade, or Preator) cab? Some do have battery access doors and others do not. If it doesn't have access doors then maybe your committee should have thought about ordering jumper studs that are accessible without tilting the cab, or a manual cab lift. Manual cab lifts are available on any cab, but they are an OPTION.

When the apparatus was built, was it bid out? If it was bid out it probably didn't have a manual cab jack in it, so when the manufacturer bid the truck they had to bid what you specified or they would have been higher than the others.

If you really wanted to blame someone, it should be the salesman who should have suggested that you add a manual lift or jumper studs since you couldn't get at them, not the manufacturer who's hands were tied based on your build spec!

Forum Member

I believe the battery jumper studs are required by NFPA on all new apparatus. Also, are you sure the cab doesn't have a manual lift? Try looking either the driver's side or passenger's side compartments closest to the cab. If you have an engine, and if there's an easily removable panel opposite the pump panel, it may even be located there. I'm not trying to be a wise guy but if you never had to use it before, you might not realize it's there.

Forum Member

Default kme- oops

This is a KME Panther. We purchased this truck as an emergency purchase and is a show truck from one of the trade shows.

Default Re: Kme - oops

Originally posted by FF6EMTP
    Started our backup engine (KME) this morning and guess what? Not happening!! Just needed new batteries but guess where the batteries are stored! Under the driver side cab which you can access when you raise the cab. Lets see... No power to start the engine... No power to lift the cab!! Duh. Yea thats right, no manuel lift either. We had to hook our battery charger to the lifting motor (not a piece of cake) and proceed. I guess that was a minor engineering oversight. I can't believe we're the only department in the world that has had a problem like this.

Thread Information